Quantcast
Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Default More House Renos

I thought I would just start a new thread since we have started a few more house projects (and I didn't know which existing thread to go to). It was fun to do my master bath last winter and if anyone else wants to join and share in here - please do!

I'm having my entire main floor painted (stairwells and sitting room were completed last week), redoing the powder room, adding some trim to some naked columns, fixing an A/V cabinet and giving the kitchen a facelift (repainting the cabs, new counter, backsplash and lights). We are in week two and I'm already over it! There are 7 guys downstairs and 7 cars out front. I completely moved out of the kitchen last Sunday, so you can imagine the chaos here (my basement is full of my kitchen and coat closet junk). I don't know what I was thinking.

Ok, on to some before pics!

And a close up of the beautiful fruit basket:

And what it looks like now:

And a before of the powder room:

One of the painters is taking the cabinet - whoo hoo! Now I don't have to deal with craigslist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, good. We are doing our kitchen next, and I am feeling overwhelmed about even starting. I could use some inspiration!
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Fun! Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Great! It'll be just like last year. I suppose the only good thing about my smaller kitchen is that *hopefully* it won't take more than two weeks to paint. There is an antiqued finish on the cabinets now that I'm getting rid of (everything will be SW pure white). I'm also getting rid of the overly carved corbels on the bar and replacing them with something simpler. My style is definitely not traditional but since the kitchen is neutral, we've lived with it for the last 5 years. All my appliances are staying and the travertine floor is staying too (it makes up the entire main floor). And I'm getting a new single basin sink (can't wait for this!).
    Here are my slabs, which will also go on these half wall ledges I have that separate some of the space on the floor (and are next to the columns we're dressing up).

It's Luce di Luna quartzite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are finishing our basement. Hoping to start at the end of February - We just need a couple of free weekends to pack up everything and put it in a POD.

This is our first major project.

We've gotten quotes and I am completely overwhelmed with picking the contractor. There is a 15K difference between them all and the contractor I like the most is the most expensive But already he's been the most helpful, given me great ideas, and knowing that we have additional projects to do (one of which the least expensive contractor pretty much said he didn't want to be bothered with), I am thinking of going with the top one because I will want to use him in the future as well.

This whole process sucks and on a sad note, I am doing it without my dad who was an architect, but the reality is we are using the money he left me to help pay for it so without him it would have been more of a financial burden.

But I am also beyond excited - I am so sick of our cluttered basement - I will be so excited to have so much of it stowed away and this project will have trickle down effects to the rest of the house (ie by putting all the craft stuff in the basement, we can have a nicer office).
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

Daisy - They were able to remove the old granite with no issue? I hate, hate, hate our granite and want to replace it someday. DH thinks I am crazy, but it will a lot easier to love my house if I can put the granite I want (and replace the sink --I too would be overly thrilled with that idea. We have the split sink which we don't need and it isn't very deep). And we want to replace the floor as well - We have ugly pinkish grey tiles while the rest of the main floor is hardwood, but since it opens up to the EAK and the dining room, the deliniation between the tile and hardwood is so ugly.

Daisy - so exciting! I can't wait to see. Love the stone slabs.

Jesse - I hear you on the bittersweet part. Both my sister and I were able to make some significant investments in real estate after my parents died. I know my mom would have been so happy for us. I would have liked to share it with her. But if she had lived, we would not have had the funds to do what we did.

Quote Originally Posted by jajacobsen View Post
    Jesse - I hear you on the bittersweet part. Both my sister and I were able to make some significant investments in real estate after my parents died. I know my mom would have been so happy for us. I would have liked to share it with her. But if she had lived, we would not have had the funds to do what we did.
    And then I am also so guilty because while I would have liked his input on some stuff, getting this project done will be easier without him because he was extremely picky, extremely anal. He was a high end architect so he expected everything to be done high-end. He brother was (retired now) an architect as well, so I do have him as a resource - he just is in another part of the country so doesn't have the local ties to compare to.

Daisy: what does your floor look like? I've always liked this sort of tile look but I am wondering if that's dated now:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e534ac5d69.jpg

So then I was thinking maybe something like this?
    https://www.builddirect.com/Traverti...48:s&bdpdp=new

I'm not really a brown person, but the kitchen is open to the house and the wood floors are a very not fun brown shade.

I lean more toward this, I think, overall:
    http://www.kitchenremodelideas.biz/w...loor-tiles.jpg
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I can't wait to follow along, Daisy! My first thought was "I wonder if she's replacing the sink?" ha. I think I'm one of the few people who like double bowl sinks. I don't like the gunk to touch the plate after I've rinsed it so I need a separate place to put it.

Our big reno is next summer so I'll be picking materials around this time next year. I keep hearing how quartz/quartzite (are they the same?) is all the rage but I still want my marble counters.