Quantcast
Page 49 of 58 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

How exciting!!!

Ithink the main thing to ask yourself is what kind of cook you are... are you a baker? I know you used to make homemade bread a lot... maybe you want a designated cabinet for all the supplies you need for that. Or are you the type of cook that adds spices as you cook? I'm not, but if you are then spice drawers right next to the range could be awesome.

As far as your questions I've had a number of different island configurations and love the island to have the cooktop and deep drawers for pots/pans/ mixing bowls with lots of space on either side, or to be appliance free and just be a giant prep space... this is probably my favorite especially if you have stools on the other side.

I prefer deep drawers to pull outs in cabs in I can afford them. We have a walk in pantry but had one with pull out shelves ages ago... it's not bad but I had to be really careful about distributing heavy items like canned food so that the drawers didn't come off the rails which happened frequently.

Another thing to consider is how orderly or neat your family is. Are you likely to take the time to make sure everything is stacked and arranged correctly or do you throw it in a cabinet or drawer and get it out of the way?
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

Thanks, everyone! Very helpful!

The designer made a lot of suggestions and I am really trying to figure out what makes sense before we meet again tomorrow. Our cabinet boxes are solid wood, so we are just refacing them which means new doors and new veneer. The layout of the kitchen is actually fine and does not make sense to change. We are only changing out one cabinet which is the one above the fridge. It is currently more compact and we are going to replace it with one that extends all the way. The pantry cabinet and island cabinets will be new too, obviously.

The island will not have a sink or a cooktop and we are not adding electricity. It is going to seat three on one side and one at the end. My one thing I am wondering about this if we should have panels added or if it's a waste of money since they won't be seen due to the stools?

The biggest change for me will be the location of my workspace. Now it is the tiny countertop space to the right of the stove. I assume my new workspace will be the island. Which means that I would want to move cutting boards and knives and yes, the kids' lunch crap to the island. I am already thinking about buying a drawer knife holder to replace the knife block and also a tray for cooking utensils, etc.

The designer suggested the pull outs in the pots and pans cabinet and I am having a hard time seeing how that will work. The cabinet is a nightmare now. I have two large frying pans, an omelette pan, two small pots, a big stew pot, and an oval pasta pot. If we put pull outs in that drawer, will of that even fit? Maybe I would need to move some items to the other side of the stove where the lunch crap is now? That one is one of those long nightmare corner cabinets where you cannot reach anything in the way back. We talked about options for it, but ultimately decided to leave it.

The garbage and recycling is going to go under the sink. I originally wanted it in the island because I wanted tall cans, but he talked me out of that saying it would take up new storage space we are adding. DH is skeptical about under the sink. It seems like they will have to be short cans and we will have to take out the trash every day which is annoying.

Our stove has a drawer that I keep all of my cookie sheets in, so I don't think we'll move those elsewhere.

So, what is the benefit of pull outs in the pantry cabinet? He suggested half pull outs and half shelves. We currently keep all of our canned goods in the garage, so I know those will get moved to the pantry. I am thinking about some kind of storage system for these rather than just stacking the cans. I also imagined sone appliances would go in there. So, I am wondering if I need some shelves that allow for more height than others? To accommodate something tall like a blender, for example.

So, just thinking out loud here. Spices and baking supplies won't move. Dishes and glasses won't move. It will be mainly food, storage containers/mixing bowls, small appliances, knives, and cooking utensils that will be relocated. Maybe I need to make a map of where everything is now and where I think it will go? The pull outs are really what are giving me the most trouble. I have never had them in any kitchen I've ever had, so I am not sure how they will work with our stuff and if it's worth spending money on? Picking the new doors, hardware, and the countertop for the island was seriously the easiest part of the whole process! Who knew having more storage options could make things so complicated?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you put in your island (or peninsula) drawers and cabinets? Do you have any pull outs in the island?

I have a pretty large island, one side has the sink, d/w and pull out recycling bins. The other side has seating and cabinets. I store rarely used small appliances in one and kids have the other one for random projects and kitchen toys. I have electric outlets on both ends of the island.

If you have a pantry, what do you put in it? Do you have any pull outs in the cabinet?

Top shelf has cook books and rarely used baking items, next shelf has more regularly used baking things. Then DH snack and my snacks, next shelf kid's snacks and shared things (nuts, dried fruit, etc). Below that is a cereal shelf and random snack shelf (and some wine), then storage for extra dried goods/snacks. Bottom shelf has dog food/supplies and overflow.

Where is your garbage located?

2 recycling bins in the pull out of the island, and a separate step can for garbage next to the island.

Do you have any pull outs in any other cabinets? If so, what's in those cabinets?

Yes, I have 2 pull outs that hold tupperwear, corning wear (SO helpful) and 2 smaller pull outs for my baking dishes, mixing bowls, etc.

Is there any update you wish that you had? I wish we had pull outs in the pantry shelves.
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

The best thing I did in our kitchen hands down is added drawers instead of cabinets wherever possible. We have 2 deep drawers that hold all of our pots and pans. One of my huge pet peeves about kitchen storage is having a million things stacked up so you have to take out 37 pans to find the one you need. In the drawers, the pots all sit individually with their lids on top. The frying pans are stacked in the lower drawer, but I don't use those much so it doesn't bother me as much. Also since I pull out a huge drawer to access them, it is a different motion than lifting them out of a low cabinet, which would hurt my back.

We have a pull out trash/recycle now. It's in between the stove and sink, which is good-ish placement. The pros are that it is concealed and conveniently located when prepping/cooking. The cons are that the cans are small and the location is actually inconvenient to everyone else except the person cooking. Meaning, the person cooking is forever being interrupted by other people trying to throw things away since the trash is now centrally located. It's still better to have it incorporated, but it's also somewhat annoying. Also, the cans are way too small for the volume of recycling we have, so we only use 1 of the cans for trash. I think our city is going to start collecting compost next year, so I'm assuming we will use the other can for that. Overall review on this is mixed for me, but I think I would still do it again. If I had a place for larger cans, I would seriously consider it.

One thing to consider is that having a lot of storage space is great! But you will expand your stuff to fit it. So if larger trash cans work better for your life, even if they will take up more storage space (that you may not need), then it's still okay to make that choice. Think about the way things will best impact your daily life. If you are in desperate need of storage, it makes sense to maximize wherever you can. If you are getting so much storage that you aren't sure what to do with it, then maybe larger trash bins makes more sense FOR YOU.

I converted all of our lower cabinets except for 1 to drawers, so they're all effectively 'pull outs' now. I have 1 large drawer dedicated to food storage containers (gladware, etc) & lids; 1 large drawer is just for DD's lunch crap, water bottles, etc; 1 large drawer holds all of my baking stuff like cake pans, muffin tins, tart pans, cheesecake pan, etc. In another area, a large drawer holds all of our plastic wrap, foil, baggies, etc. We have a drawer knife holder (we always have, I don't like blocks) and that drawer also holds our cutting boards. I have 1 lower cabinet which is divided and holds cookie sheets, cooling racks, pizza pan, etc. We have a lazy susan, also, which holds all of our small appliances; that's not new, we had one before too for the same purpose, but it was one of my must haves.

The other thing I love is our huge sink, and the fact that we converted from an overmount (WHY) to an undermount sink.

In hindsight I probably wouldn't have put in a pull out spice rack next to the stove. So many people said it was a MUST HAVE but I haven't even moved my spices into it yet and it just doesn't seem very convenient to me to be able to see things. Not sure about that one yet. Also, I think if I would have skipped it I could have squeezed in another bank of drawers and I would have preferred that instead. But oh well.

We have a pantry, but it's in the hallway. We actually converted a hall closet to a pantry when we moved in, so it's pretty sizable with double bi-fold doors. It kind of sucks because I put it together quickly. It's on my list of things to redo whenever I have a second, which is apparently never. Nothing pulls out because it doesn't work with the doors. In the bottom with have 2 large bins for recycling (we have to separate plastic/paper) and then on the shelves we keep all of our dry goods, spices, food, snacks, etc. I even put my crockpot in there for storage (because I rarely use it). I couldn't deal with incorporating the pantry with our recently renovation, so it's a bit of a hot mess at the moment. I'm not even sure what would make it better at this point...
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

What do you put in your island (or peninsula) drawers and cabinets? Do you have any pull outs in the island?
    Our Island is pretty huge and does contain the cook top. So the drawers I have are 2 out of our 3 utility drawers. Also contains all our lunch stuff, cutting boards, 1/2 our tupperware (all these are in drawers) and our pots (which are pull outs)

Any way you can add electricity on the Island to the budget - I do all my baking there (as well as WFH there). Though I wish it had electricity on both ends.
    I would have panels added - the bar stools don't hide that much.

If you have a pantry, what do you put in it? Do you have any pull outs in the cabinet? Our pantry isn't huge - it contains all of our food (except our vinegars, oils and alcohol that go above our microwave). We have a wire rack (from Home Depot) hung on the door that contains all our spices

Where is your garbage located?
    We have a compactor - it died shortly after we moved in and we tried to live with just a can for a while, but didn't want to (with septic and no disposal, it was smelly). For Recycle, my OCD DH has a small tote on a cabinet that we just throw everything in (we don't have to separate anymore) and every night he brings it out to the garage.

Do you have any pull outs in any other cabinets? If so, what's in those cabinets?
    We only have 1 other lower cabinet with pullouts which has our mixing bowls, rest of our tupperware. We also have a lazy susan in the corner which is a PITA, and we have too many small drawers on the lower cabinets. We also have a cookie sheet drawer under our double ovens and huge cabinets above. Needless to say, we really don't have enough cabinet space, so we built a pantry in our basement which holds all our baking pans, wedding china, serving pieces, extra glasses, seasonal items.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

Thanks, laura. Your thoughts make a lot of sense.

jessey, I definitely see the value of electricity in the island, but we are also trying to save money where we can. I am probably crazy to think I can just use my hand mixer with an extension cord for now. If it's doable later, we could have our electrician nephew add an outlet to the island. I am assuming it would save us a fortune going that route.

I'm with Laura -- get a big sink. I am LOVING my single-bowl Blanco sink. I mean, it's unbelievable how much I love it! I can let two large pots soak at one time. It's amazing. Did I mention I'm in love?

Yes I have a big single basin sink as well and it's the best. I would hate to go back to a divided one!

Not getting a new sink. Sorry, ladies!