Quantcast
Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Wow, thank you everyone! Things are really coming together. My counter top was installed yesterday, and today the plumber came back and hooked up my faucet and dishwasher. I officially have a functioning kitchen again!!! I'm planning on painting the island today/tomorrow, so I'll share pics when it's done!

Gia and looch- I actually made my own chalk paint using Glidden paint from Walmart and plaster of Paris. I wouldn't recommend doing that. It's fine, but the plaster of Paris grain is a bit visible on the sides after I put the wax finish coat on. It's only noticeable if you look closely, but I would definitely buy real chalk paint. The drawer fronts don't show the grain. I used Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Wax on the sides and drawer fronts, but I used poly on the top. General Finishes High Performance water based topcoat, to be exact. DS drives race cars on everything, so I needed a more durable top finish than wax. I put on four coats and sanded lightly by hand with a 330 grit sandpaper between coats. It is quite smooth! This was my first bigger piece, and it worked really well. I figured I didn't have much to lose because the dresser was only $35! Watch some YouTube videos and get to work!

jaja- Thanks! I really do like the look of natural maple. It has such a nice, smooth finish. I know it's not trendy, but I have always loved our lighter hardwood floors.

Diam- I hope everything goes well! Are you going with a water-based finish? Be careful on them for the first few weeks. I know oak is more durable than the maple we have, but our floors did scratch pretty easily for the first few weeks. I think the finish is finally hardened/cured pretty well, because they aren't scratching as easily now that it's been almost a month. We tried so hard to be careful and even had paper covering the areas in the kitchen where we were working, but it was unavoidable that we ended up with some surface scratches in the living room before we got our rug.

akacharlotte- DH wants to buy new furniture now, too. I say we wait one more year until we can reason with DS a little better and he's in school for more hours a day. Right now it's just so easy to let him have a snack on the couch while he watches TV!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBeckyLP View Post

Diam- I hope everything goes well! Are you going with a water-based finish? Be careful on them for the first few weeks. I know oak is more durable than the maple we have, but our floors did scratch pretty easily for the first few weeks. I think the finish is finally hardened/cured pretty well, because they aren't scratching as easily now that it's been almost a month. We tried so hard to be careful and even had paper covering the areas in the kitchen where we were working, but it was unavoidable that we ended up with some surface scratches in the living room before we got our rug.
    Good to know! We are going with an oil based stain and then they are doing 4 coats of a hybrid top coat. Supposedly it is 90% cured in 24 hours and then fully cured in 72 hours. I hope that's the case. I tested out a stain on one of our stairs and it is still a little sticky 3 days later so I could see how it takes a long time to fully dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, yeah. We didn't do a stain at all, so we didn't have to worry about that. We were able to walk on ours a few hours after the top coat (water based) was applied, but we kept the furniture out for another week (I think I mentioned that; it was because we were having the ceilings painted). I'm sure you'll be so happy with the results! I love not having such a defined area for our living room, and I love the rug I ended up with! I looked all over for rugs, and I kept coming back to this one!

Mrs Becky: Oh interesting! i have read about homemade chalk paint, but I have never actually done a piece using it or the real stuff....I am dying to paint my grand piano (long story, it's not a beautiful black but Honey Oak) and I have read chalk paint would be ideal, but i need my husband to be gone for a week and my father in law to be in town (he's a trained painter).

I usually just use plain flat interior paint when doing furniture, but it never gives that Pottery Barn finish, it always looks painted, if that makes sense. I have thought about colored stain, but I don't have a piece that has good enough wood for that.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

My floors are finally done. I love them and wow, I am never doing that again. Staying in the house was manageable but a PITA. We can't move the furniture back yet. I also decided to add another coat to the railing so the java color is really dark. I'm going to do the exposed areas of the stairs too.

Nice!

Looks great!

Beautiful, Diam.

Looks great, Diam! That's a lot of railing to DIY! I didn't realize you had all that upper railing in addition to the stair rail. Amazing you decided to tackle that!!

Painted walls and new trim installed. Slowly getting there.