Quantcast
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Daisy, I love your slabs so pretty. I'll be following along to see how everything comes out. When we did our kitchen reno we put in a single sink, I love it. It's deep and holds a ton of dishes.

Daisy - I have the same quartzite counter tops and full backsplash. I've had it a few years now and still love it. It can etch like marble so be careful with anything acidic but otherwise it has held up very well. I also love my single sink. It's big enough I still bathe my 2.5 year old DD in it sometimes. She prefers it to the tub.

Looking forward to following along!

Bloomwood - No, quartzite is a natural stone (metamorphic rock from limestone) and quartz is man made using crushed quartz and resin.

Gracie - that's interesting! I have heard that quartzite is one of the most dense stones and therefore, resists stains. The guys are here measuring for the new slabs so I will speak to them about the sealant too (although I've heard acidity can ruin any seal on any stone). You should post a pic! I would love to see!

What is hate about the current granite, aside from the color and fancy edge that catches all crumbs and drips, is the glare off of it. We are on the water and I can see every single finger print and crumb on that stuff - it's maddening!

Sinks / bloom - I'm getting that grate thing at the bottom of the sink for that very reason. I don't like the divider mainly for when I wash big dishes, there is not a lot of clearance. Otherwise, it's fine (albeit almond color). The new sink is stainless.

The woman that lived here before me and did all the work to this house loved to have everything match - floors, cabinets, walls, ceiling. It's all the same freaking yellow undertoned beige! I'm so ready for it to be gone!

Laura, here are my floors (and a lovely grape motif corbel):

Correct me, but isn't travertine similar to marble? Or, it is marble? I wouldn't put it in, it scratches and chips and is high maintenance. But it is pretty to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know, I'm at step -20 in the process. Googling those pics today is actually the first thing I've done about this, but I do think about the flooring a lot in my idle time so I know I should start pinning ideas. Blah. Good to know about quartz, etc.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I haven't had any issues with staining/chipping/cracking-just the etching. Ours are sealed but sealing doesn't protect against etching. The etching was from cutting limes (margaritas!) and the juice leaked underneath the board. I was using one of those flexible cutting boards that has a small grid pattern on the non-slip bottom so now I have about a 4 inch etched grid pattern on the counter next to the sink. I'm the only one that seems to notice it-DH swears he can't see it until I shine a light on it and point. My slabs are polished so it is probably more noticeable than etching on honed slabs.

Regarding the sink grid-it is great for keeping dishes away from the gunk and also for minimizing the little scratches. I like that I can lay a cookie sheet/large items flat in the bottom of the sink. The underside of the grid can get gross so I flip mine over with a towel underneath and scrub with a brush-even a toothbrush for the pesky little grooves in the rubber feet.

Travertine is also a limestone but not hardened by heat like quartzite. We have travertine tile in the foyer similar to Daisy's kitchen and haven't had any issues. However I have chiseled unfilled travertine tile in the mudroom and laundry room that has not held up as well. There are long cracks along the inside of two doorways which is suspect is from where the sub floor meets and has a little give.

Ooh fun!

I'm so excited to see how it turns out! If your bathroom is any indicator, I'm sure it will be stunning.

So what kind of edge are you going for on your counters this time? Thoughts on backsplash? Are you keeping your pendant lights or switching them out too?

Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    I lean more toward this, I think, overall:
    http://www.kitchenremodelideas.biz/w...loor-tiles.jpg
    This link isn't working for me, but I'd love to see it!

Daisy, you will LOVE having a single basin sink!

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    Bloomwood - No, quartzite is a natural stone (metamorphic rock from limestone) and quartz is man made using crushed quartz and resin.
    Thanks for that. Clearly I haven't researched. And, last kitchen reno I did, it was all about the granite for resale, even though I wanted marble then too!

Jessey - they said that it was pretty easy to remove. And they even easily removed it out of my appliance garage.

Gracie - yikes! I'll keep that in mind.

Garden - I'm doing a 2.5" x 10.5" white subway tile that has a slight wave to it. Kinda boring but that's what's in. At least the wave will give it some interest. I have no idea if I'll do a contrasting grout though, thoughts? The counter edge will be a simple box edge (is that right?) - whatever they did in my bathroom. And yes, new clear globe pendants. Cabinet knobs are similar to what I did in my master (they're like a clear jewel knob). And I have new bar stools picked out. Even though I love all the white kitchens I see online, I'm so nervous for all the white! Especially on these cabinets. Hopefully I'm just used to all the beige!

Laura - I can't see that link either. I meant to tell you earlier.

Today they finished: all the living/dining room trim and doors, the cabinet frames and doors are fully sanded (yay!) and the columns are ready to be painted.

For my powder room - I could decide on a wallpaper so they are smoothing out the wall so they can paint it (and it'll be ready if I ever do paper it). It's going to be BM balboa mist. I have a new white cabinet and Carrera top all ready, faucet and accessories and sconces but I still need to pick a ceiling light and mirror. The room will look nice but seriously boring. I'm so not inspired with it.

Last edited by Daisy; 01-26-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Quick post - my kitchen is painted! Doors went back on today. I'm still waiting on my new knobs and the counter won't be installed until next week. In the meantime, the painters still have the hall closet, entryway, powder room and laundry room. But, at least I can start moving stuff back into my cabinets. Can I also say at how amazed I am with how much stuff I had in that kitchen! I'm definitely not moving it all back in.