Quantcast
Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

The other side of The Thing is where our desk is, currently. It will be here though for probably a couple of years. But in the long run I could see having bar stools here. I mean they would probably FIT as-is but it would be a little cramped maybe...
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

What about getting the contractor or your DH to cut the shelf out and raise it up? That way the bottom shelf would be more usable and you could use it as a bookshelf or bar or whatever. It looks like a solid piece so that might be more $ than it's worth, especially since you don't like it.

Just seeing this. I'm sort of having a tough week so sorry for not replying. You are getting great ideas. My thought is they would plastic seal off your kitchen from the dining room but not if your project includes the dining Thing. If they *could* seal off your dining room the that table could be prep and eat with boxes of food stacked around the room. We ate in front of the TV a lot and dining room was staging and prep mostly. And lunch box packing.

We had a sink and fridge in garage; Keurig and toaster oven in the dining room and and a microwave and hot water kettle nearby. We did not have a hot plate.

Keep out rimmed cookie sheets to set things on (our toaster oven sat on one); colanders; knives; cutting boards; dish towels, can opener, hot pads...

We served and mixed a lot of things in large foil pans (Tossed bagged salads, cut fruit) to avoid cleaning big bowls.

You'll want to give up your morning smoothies unless you want to clean your blender by hand every day.

Just seeing this. I'm sort of having a tough week so sorry for not replying.
    Big hugs Taurus! Sorry this week has been tough

Laura- How exciting! I don't have much to add, other than I think turning "The Thing" into a bar/beverage area is a great idea, especially since your DH has quite the collection going
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

No worries, Taurus. This week is killing me so I've decided to focus on this renovation that's happening in 2 months instead of the mounting pile of crap in front of me. 😁

Yes! And the sad thing about the booze is, we have one of those liquor storage things and it isn't even in any of these pics! And it's also full. Which makes us seem like real boozers. But really my husband will want to try a new cocktail and then run out and buy the 5 things he needs to make it and then maybe or maybe not ever use them again.

Bug: I thought of making it taller or building it up, but I think it would have a negative affect on the space behind. Plus my husband would "prefer" a solution that includes a counter top so he can mix drinks in the area where all the liquor is. Says the person who also doesn't ever want to change anything. 🙄
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Laura-

During our kitchen reno we took a space just like your wineglass open shelf area and put the microwave in there. I love it. I’m only 5’3” and I don’t have trouble getting heavy/burning hot things in and out.

I would definitely turn The Thing into some kind of bar/beverage center. We converted an excess pantry into a bar (open glass shelves above for bottles, small counter, wine fridge below), and it’s the best part of the kitchen!

Is there any way you could talk your DH into a counter-depth fridge? I think that would streamline the space a bit. You would definitely be able to sell your existing fridge to help finance the cost…

I agree with everyone who says get as many drawers as possible! I have added these to all my lower cabinets because I couldn’t deal with how inefficient they were. Oh man, there is a TON of cool stuff on that site. Dangerous…

Other things I highly recommend:
    - Hard-wired LED undercabinet lighting
    - A large, single basin undermount sink. I have this one.
    - I also love our white quartz countertops. However, we have too square an edge on ours and it there are several chips as a result. I had no idea this was a 'thing' until we were getting similar counters for our master bath. The installer (different than the one used for the kitchen) came out to measure the bathroom and I asked him to take a look at the kitchen chips to see if they could be repaired. He said he never would have used such a square edge, and explained that's why the counters are chipping. The bathroom counter he did has a small kerf (I think that's the term?) that eases the corner. The kitchen edges could be sanded/ground down to have that, but it's a big, messy project.

Same here on the counter edges in our kitchen being too squared off and we also have tiny chips.

Laura - your DH sounds like my DH with the booze...LOL!!! I bought him his own free standing bar to hold all his booze and it still overflows into my pantry! Same thing...he goes out and buys a ton of ingredients for one drink! But, we also serve alcohol at pretty much any event we host at our house...so it does get used

Here are a few of my thoughts:
    1) We have our microwave above our stove, and it works totally fine for us. It is a good microwave and I like that it does not take up counter space
    2) I love the idea of under-mounted cabinet lighting
    3) Must have - pull out trash can Drawer. We have 2 trash bins in ours. ABSOLUTELY LOVE this
    4) We have a skinny pull out spice rack in our island and I love it.
    5) All of our lower cabinets have the pull out shelves, which i Love. Big deep drawers would give the same effect, but if the pull out shelves are less expensive, it might be worth considering
    6) I would remove the rounded "mini" peninsula that sticks out and just extend the counter along the wall. Like someone else said, I think is kind of decreases the flow

The Thing:
    I think there are several things you can do with it...just depends on how much you want to spend.
    1) I would definitely lower it and cap it with granite to match your kitchen. Even if you just "fill-in" the lower part and make the wall solid (and not use it for storage) it still will look nice and less obtrusive.
    2) My mom has filled in several niches like that. She actually called a cabinet guy and she was able to have wood installed in the niches and then doors put on it. it was HUGE, because it is where the TV goes. So, Basically, it now looks like a built in entertainment area and you would never guess it was drywall niches. I would guess your contractor could offer some suggestions.

About having to live without a kitchen:
    They only advice I can give, as we only lost our dishwasher and sink when we renovated our kitchen island is, the less washing you have to do the better. Paper plates, cups, and silverware will be your BEST friend. I know it sucks, but we used our microwave and toaster oven a ton!
    Last edited by PLNUBRIDE; 05-06-2016 at 05:50 PM.

I got nothing, Laura. The other ladies have great ideas and when we do our kitchen Reno I will pick everyone's brains again.

I am going cross-eyed with the hardwood situation.

I think we have found a way to do it for around $20k and get the look we want. It involves solid pre-finished hardwood. It won't match the office exactly, but we are planning on putting French doors up so the floor wouldn't be continuous anyway.

I think I can live with it.

Here are our narrowed down choices:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J + A

Sky, I like the one furthest on the right in the first photo. Second choice is the one next to it.