Quantcast
Page 10 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

The view from the kitchen to the dining room. This is our only table, we eat all of our meals here.

And, The Thing:

When we moved in ~3-4 years ago, we put that stuff there "temporarily". Now of course my husband doesn't see why it's a problem. Who wouldn't want their printer in the dining room?? I am pretty sure our hardwood floor doesn't continue underneath The Thing, because the previous owners were so cheap I'm just sure it doesn't. So we don't want to remove it because we would have to redo all of our floors - which would be ok with me but might give my husband cardiac arrest. So I am hoping it can be modified. I was thinking either 1) shave it down to counter height and add a counter top and use the cabinet as a bar cabinet. This is the best solution functionally, see: 9766388 booze bottles on the kitchen counter. We could also use it as a breakfast bar in the future. Right now our desk is behind it as kind of a little office nook, but I think in a couple of years we will convert the playroom to an office and move the desk in there. 2) add shelves and doors and use it as a china cabinet? I do have China, but I'm not really a "display" kind of person so I'm only lukewarm on that idea. Also open to other suggestions from people who are better at this than me.

PS: I *love* the idea someone mentioned about putting an outlet in the pantry for things like the mini vac. Soooo doing this! Days of eating dinner while staring at the mini vac are officially numbered!

PSS: I had this picture of my "command center" handy. It's not current which is nice because it currently looks like a hot mess.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

You may want to check out the LED dimmable under cabinet lighting. Soft white light that can be dimmed. Be sure to add the light rail trim to the bottom of the cabinets so you don't see the the light boxes.

I would get the drawers that pull all the way out and that self shut.
    I agree! Undermounted full extension glides with self close/soft close.

I don't have much to add. I'm excited for you, though!

I hate our under cabinet lighting and turn it off whenever someone turns it on. I think I hate it bc it is fluorescent and not the same colored bulbs so it makes me twitchy.

Can you turn the "bar" area into a beverage center:
    no idea if this will work
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/79727855879577028/
    ETA: just saw the post on The Thing. yeah, beverage center would be better there.

I know you have a command center that works, but I really like this use of corner cabinet space
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/79727855878915209/

Make it a booze cabinet. Go for function.

Hmm I guess a third option for The Thing would be to remove it and see what's under it. If no floor then just build a bar/counter in that footprint to our specifications. That is probably a harder sell for my husband but probably a better idea overall. Maybe the contractors will suggest it and then he will think it's a smart idea. The Thing used to hold a giant fish tank, I'm told. And no, I don't want a giant fish tank.

Oh I love that beverage center idea! That is just what we need. I like the corner cabinet idea too. I'm hoping to make the end part of the cabinets into some sort of lunch station area, but I will keep that in mind since I think we will end up with an odd space there at the end.

I agree about the microwave not being up high - ours is built in at the height it would be above the stove. My DD is almost 10 and still can't really use the microwave without a chair. Over the last 4 years I've been very tempted to get another one to put on a cart so the kids could reach it.

We have 2 drawers in our island dedicated to lunch prep

All our lower cabinets are drawers except the corner lazy susan - drawers are so much better!!!
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

Our basement is trucking along, slowly. I didn't believe what everyone said about double the time, but it definitely is happening to us.

We are at the end of Week 7 - they plastered a couple of weeks ago while we were away, but last week they only came 1 partial day to install doors, and this week they didn't come until Thursday - thankfully they installed all the switches/outlets and all the rest of the light fixtures so we at least have light. And they are rebuilding our stairs.

The current hold-up is they are no longer going to install the vinyl flooring - they are going to have the flooring company do it and they aren't sure when they can come out - they have a lot of work to level the floors.

We ordered a pull-out couch and ottoman last week. Tomorrow I am heading to IKEA to get the closet organizers. We also have to pick out the quartz counter for the bathroom.

Right now we are just hoping they will be done by the time school is over which is another 7 weeks away. I am so done with our dining room being wall-to-wall stuff. And we are eager to get working on our family room (ripping out an entertainment center, having a new one built along with additional built in shelves, painting and carpet/tile). And we have a ton of painting we want done in the house, hopefully by the holidays.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

You have a great space to work with! Nice appliances and you could probably sell your cabinets-they seem to be in good shape. Not sure what is on the other side of the Thing but I like your idea of making it counter height with cabinet storage-maybe add a wine or beverage fridge. Or could you do a counter overhang on the dining side with a couple of bar stools? But that may require the dining table to be pushed back a bit and it may not line up under the skylight. Love the skylight and the kitchen window. Any chance of taking the kitchen window from the ceiling to the counter? The counter top could be carried straight back through the bay window. That would be amazing and let in so much light. That may be a hard sell considering the window is already so nice.

You'll gain a lot of visual space without the rounded peninsula. I know new appliances aren't in the plans but a counter depth fridge will give you even more of an open feeling. Would it be possible to take the cabinet run all the way to the door closest to the pantry (where the trash can is in the pics)? That would provide a great landing space for unloading groceries to the pantry.

Have you thought about a microwave drawer? Maybe where in the end of the cabinet run where the peninsula currently is?

Yes, what is on the other side of The Thing??

Jessey - I'm excited to see the finished basement. Not something that is common here in CA!