Quantcast
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Default What's Everyone Reading: 2016

Rosebud usually starts these and makes it a sticky, but since she is not around, I figured I would go ahead and start it.

So, what are you reading?

I finished Things You Won't Say last night. It took me a really long time to finish it. Timely read as the main plot is about a police officer shooting a Hispanic teen, however there were just too many characters and extra storylines going on to really into it or care very much.

Now I am reading The Japanese Art of Tidying. Hoping to finish it today.

I am almost done with Reconstructing Amelia, I like it but it makes this mom of teenagers a bit nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J + A

Yes. I read that one a while back. Interestingly, my BFF is reading it right now, too, sky.

I'm reading House of Echoes by Brendan Duffy. The NJ Star Ledger book reviewer named it one of the top novels of the year. It's a spooky, atmospheric, gothic-type mystery, and so far I am loving it!
    "And as cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round;
    If your bottle's empty, help yourself to mine
    Thank you for your time...Here's to life!"
    - Mekong

I finished The Future of Us recommended by honeygirl in the other thread. I liked it - it was cute.

Thanks for starting a 2016 thread Leslie. Maybe this thread can get me back on my reading kick. I fell off the wagon last year.

I'll go ahead and close the 2015 thread now.

I just finished The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. What a heartbreakingly good read. I will say that it might be my new favorite WWII novel, and I've read a lot of that genre in the past few years.

I am currently reading I Will Always Write Back with my DD1 (9+). I was given the book a while ago but hadn't gotten to it. My friend that gave it to me subsequently read it with her daughter and suggested I do the same. I still wasn't sure, so I tried it one night over Christmas. I read half the book in the first sitting. I had told DD we'd read it together, so I gave it to her to catch up to me and now we are reading it together.

In a nutshell, it is about an American, 12 yo Caitlin and her 14 yo Zimbabwean pen pal, Martin, in the late-90s onward. True story about how they develop a very deep and caring friendship and become entangled in each others life. It is fascinating, eye-opening and heartbreaking. There are {good} things the mom does and the daughter does that make me choke back tears while I'm reading to her. A few things I've glossed over (drinking and precarious social situations), probably more to come. I know 9/11 is coming up while we read tonight and I will for sure cry and have to explain that to her. Common Sense Media says 12+ and that is probably right except DD is a pretty sophisticated reader and not very sensitive so she can handle it.

I agree MrsBecky. I feel like all the other WWII stories I've read are always from basically the same perspective, and this one was so different.

Interesting, bloom. I'm going to check that one out.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09