Quantcast
Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast

Default The 2016 Holidays Prep Thread!

Since people have already started posting what they are purchasing for next year, let's get this thread going! Here's to a calm and fulfilling holiday season in 2016!

Thanksgiving - Thursday, November 24, 2016
    Christmas - Sunday, December 25, 2016
    First Night of Hanukkah - Sunday, December 25, 2016 (!!!)
    New Year's Eve - Saturday, December 31, 2016

Thanks Taurus!

I love that Christmas and Hanukkah are on the same day in 2016 But maybe that's not a good thing... I don't know! For those that celebrate both, will it make it easier just to have both on the same night? (I know Hanukkah lasts for 8 nights but I imagine the first night is the biggest celebration. No?)
    Last edited by steviem; 12-28-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

I saw that on the calendar too. A consideration for our possibly new Jewish situation. But in general I was thinking it would be nice for people to celebrate during school vacation? This year I know our friends were struggling with Hanakuh + school and regular life that doesn't stop.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I have so many friends who celebrate only Hanukkah and then they 1) have to do their traditions while school is in session which means late nights for kids, etc 2) rushing to get presents in November sometimes and 3) they don't really have a "holiday" during winter break, and it's anticlimactic.

I grew up celebrating both so we still always had Christmas whenever Hanukkah fell, but I still did always love when Hanukkah fell close to Christmas in any way. Mostly I found the glow of Hanukkah candles and tree lights to be very soothing in my childhood home and very symbolic of my parents' love and commitment to each other. (Wow, that came out pretty sappy. Ha!)

ETA: cross-posted with Laura

Mostly I'm just surprised Hanukkah will start so late. Not that it falls during Christmas.

But in general I was thinking it would be nice for people to celebrate during school vacation? This year I know our friends were struggling with Hanakuh + school and regular life that doesn't stop.
    I never even thought of that, but what an excellent point! I would totally hate having to have a big celebration on a school night.

Mostly I found the glow of Hanukkah candles and tree lights to be very soothing in my childhood home and very symbolic of my parents' love and commitment to each other. (Wow, that came out pretty sappy. Ha!)
    Ahh, I love that!
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

I mean, there are 8 nights, so you can always celebrate with parties on weekends, but I was out to dinner with friends recently who said that their kids get a gift a night (we never did that in my interfaith home) and then they can't play with it and have to go to bed and go to school.

For us Hanukah and Christmas overlapping makes no difference :-) My kids have winter break during the third week of January and there is always school over Hannukah. They don't have homework those nights and the middle school kids get out at 3:30 with the elementary aged kids instead of 4:30. Also, they always have 2 days of a school wide color war and other fun stuff during school hours.
    Married 8.5.2001
    DS 6.8.2005 DD 10.3.2007 DD 4.22.2011

Taurus: that's what our friends do as well. And it was extra chaotic for them this year because their DD's bday is on Dec 8 so they had that in the mix too! Crazy week for them.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Wow, I'm also surprised by how late Hanukkah is in 2016!

Thanks for starting the new thread, Taurus! I loved your sappy description of your childhood holiday memories.

I probably won't post here too much until early fall. This thread helps so much to keep me on track! I love it. I haven't shopped any after Christmas sales because we are still travelling and we have enough to get home as it is. And I don't want to order anything online and have it sitting outside at home for over a week. I also have a feeling we may end up in PA even longer next year (as in possibly even Thanksgiving through New Years). My mom is kind of going downhill fast (that's a whole story that belongs in the aging parents thread, but I don't have the heart right now to write it all out), and we want as much time as possible with her.
    Last edited by Gia; 12-28-2015 at 02:12 PM.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets