Quantcast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

No, I didn't have any trouble with pickpocketers. I did wear my backpack in the front though, across my chest, as you will see most people do near Las Ramblas. And do NOT leave your bag/purse sitting behind you or strapped over a chair when you dine out at one of the many outdoor cafes. If possible, wear a across-the-chest type bag (Le Sak, etc.) or at least hold on tight and hold it in your lap. I was traveling solo and was out late many nights (usually tipsy on sangria!) and never had any trouble. One night I had two old men try to convince me to follow them into an alley (duh!) but if you have basic street smarts (and are with a man as well) you will be just fine.
    "It seems like you agree to have a certain personality or something, just to make things easier for everyone. But when you think about it, how do you know it's even you?"

I was in Barcelona last summer and I didn't have any trouble with pickpockets. The only weird thing that happened was that as I was waiting with my luggage, some guy on a bike came by and grabbed up my skirt, touching my butt. It was more funny than anything. So no short skirts!

I was pretty scared to be there, but once I was there for a day, I relaxed and didn't worry too much about things. Definitely see a Flamenco show while you're there and there's a ton of good bars off of La Rambla to go to in the evenings.

They definitely siesta there. I don't remember the exact times but one afternoon I went shopping around 4pm or 5 and all of the stores were closed. But then everything was back open around 8.

Have a great time there!

Just stopping by to recommend this fabulous (and NON-touristy) tapas restaurant. This was probably the best meal (or at least one of them) of our month trip in Europe this summer.

http://www.comerc24.com/

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by gina73
    Question for the Barcelona travelers - do they seista there? My brother mentioned that they don't even usually start dinner until about 10pm or so. While my DH and I enjoy the occassional late night out, we're not that interested in partying the entire time we're in Barcelona (I actually want to be somewhat useful during the day instead of nursing a hangover). What is your experience with this - a town for partiers? Or can the old married couple still enjoy themselves?
    We were there last summer, in an apartment right near the Boqueria market, off Las Ramblas. Excellent.

And it's true that dinner doesn't get going until quite late. We slept late to make up for it, had breakfast, did culture-y things in the morning, had lunch, did beachy or lazy things in the afternoon, napped or had drinks in the early evening, and went out for dinner at 10 or even later.

I think you will find yourself getting used to the schedule, even if you're not into partying. We never went clubbing or anything, but we did have several very late nights in bars or finishing a bottle of wine in a restaurant.
    B. & C. ... Met 2000 ... Engaged 2005 ... Married 2010 ????
    *** Pumpkin baby born Halloween 2006 *** It's a boy!***

One night while in Barcelona, we went to an outdoor cafe and ordered drinks. I ordered a margarita. While everyone got their drinks, I got a pizza. I was so confused. We sent the pizza back and I just got a rum and coke. It wasn't for months later that I learned of a margherita(sp?) pizza. It still makes me laugh
    Ashley & Lou 5.24.03

Owen Louis 6.13.06

BUMP! We are considering a spring break trip to Barcelona. Does anyone have recommendations for hotels and/or family-friendly activities? We are hoping to go to a soccer game at Camp Nou, but I have no idea if that is close to the city center, in a good neighborhood, etc? TIA!
    * Wife, Nurse, Mom-squared, Yogi! *

Bumping. We were originally planning to do a cruise on the Mediterranean but my sister may or may not be pregnant next summer so we decided it was safer to not plan that for next year. So instead we're thinking of spending the month of July at the Côte d'Azure/Italian Riviera. We're thinking of renting a place close to or in Nice for a week or two and then somewhere in Italy. Any recs for where to stay in Italy in that area? I've stayed in Alassio a bunch of times but may want to do something different this time. Portofino or Cinque Terre maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We went to Cinque Terre. It was really nice, but it's very touristy. Not necessarily a bad thing, but Rick Steve's promoted it and it exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Tree View Post
    We went to Cinque Terre. It was really nice, but it's very touristy. Not necessarily a bad thing, but Rick Steve's promoted it and it exploded.
    Is there much to do like a nice beach or is it more just to see for a day?

Bumping this again. Anyone been to Barcelona with children? We still haven't decided what we want to do but at least narrowed it down to something southern European. Greece came up but my sister thinks it's too hot there in July. We would like a city vacation with a city beach. That is why I'm still thinking Nice would be perfect but my dad thinks it's not a good destination in July.