Quantcast
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC Day Trip

This is so timely. DH suggested taking the boys to the city this week and I was not pleased. I hate NYC with the fire of a 1000 suns! It's so busy and dirty and yuck. Apparently, I needed to come in here for tips because you guys are making it sound amazing.

Thanks for the suggestion bookworm - I didn't see it in time though. I'd love a recommendation for a nicer dinner for tomorrow if anyone has one though.

I messed up our schedule and we ended up not doing the Harbor Lights cruise tonight. We'll do the Landmark cruise tomorrow after the Museum of Natural History. Then we'll do the Art Museum Tuesday and skip the Intrepid. We did the Empire State building, Matilda the Musical and Top of the Rock today. All were really good.

Leslie - Times Square and Rockefeller Center are crazy, especially in the evening, but there's lots of other fun stuff and we're having a great time.

I don't do a lot of fine dining when I'm there (usually trying to cram in as many shows as possible!). Keens was very nice if you like steakhouses (not usually my favorite, but really enjoyed the old school atmosphere), and friends swear by Craft (to the point where I want to make time to try it next trip). More casual places that I've enjoyed that appear to be open Monday -- The Breslin, The Dutch, Stanton Social (kind of a scene, but probably less so on a Monday-- and french onion soup dumplings ). Hope you're having fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't find a general NYC thread so I'm posting here. I will be there for the long weekend in January with friends. We are mostly walking, dining, and seeing shows.

I need help with packing, mostly footwear! It's been a loooong time since I lived in a "wintry" city! I guess it will depend a bit on if (when it gets a little closer) it's clear how much snow is on the ground/predicted?

Trying to take as few pairs as possible. I feel like I'm mostly worried about warmth and slipping on ice!

What I do already own:
    - Kamik snow boots (new but not super cute - I think of these as playing-in-the-snow shoes and am not sure people wear such things in the city?)
    - New black tall Uggs
    - Keen water-resistant brown boots
    - Clarks tall riding boots

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Taurus; 12-29-2016 at 10:21 PM.

Maybe the tall black uggs and water resistant boots. We just got back from Boston and I realized I own zero shoes for damp/cold weather. I have uggs for cold weather but they are useless if it's wet. I will be following to see what other people wear. I felt so perplexed I couldn't even buy anything while we were there.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Your kamik snow boots might be worth taking. You may not even need them, but if it's slushy you'll probably wish for them! I would also take the uggs and your keen water-resistant boots. I am a horrible over-prescribed though! I would want to make sure my feet stay dry though!

I haven't paid much attention to what people wear in NYC lately, we're all hustling around in some version of a black puffer and boots. The issue when it snows in NYC is the melt and how it pools in places where you need to cross the street. So you really need something waterproof because chances are your cab is going to pull up right next to a puddle of slush and you have to either step in it or climb over a pile of dirty snow.

For warmth and dry feet, I wear a pair of Merrell booties. I own a pair of Sorel Joan of Arctics and they'd be good if i was wearing leggings or a skirt. But they wouldn't work over the kinds of pants I wear. Oh, I and I have a pair of fleece lined Rockports, I wear those a ton too. I bought them by accident, thinking they were more of a dress boot, but they are more rugged and work wonderfully with leggings and a denim skirt for the day, as an example.

I find I stay warmest in a pair of fleece lined leggings, tall boots and a skirt as opposed to pants.
    Last edited by looch; 12-30-2016 at 05:37 AM.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

I second what looch said. When the city is not-snowy you want something warm for all the walking. If it is slushy you will want the waterproof (not water resistant boots) for sure. Slush in NYC is gross. That being said we have not had any real snowfall yet this year. Also if it is just raining you will also want waterproof footwear.
    Married 8.5.2001
    DS 6.8.2005 DD 10.3.2007 DD 4.22.2011

I would definitely go for warmth and comfort over fashion. I remember the first time we went to a show in NY, I wore a dress and heels because that's what I was used to for shows in Chicago. I could not believe how overdressed I was. And also, my feet were miserable. Pants with leggings underneath. Thick socks and waterproof boots.

I do have a slushy miserable NY memory to share. We went to our first DMB show post-baby and took the train because I was worried we would die in a fiery car accident and leave our child an orphan (hello, PPD!). We left the house and got to the train station and when I put my first foot on the ground, I realized I was still wearing my slippers. Thankfully they were Uggs-like and had a hard rubber bottom. I trudged around the city from the train station to MSG and back because taxis are like unicorns in NYC. It was dirty, snowy, slushy, and miserable. We laugh and laugh over that story now. I was also carrying a gigantic bag with my breast pump in it and was afraid security would confiscate it. What a night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is great, thank you! I may get another pair on sale that's truly waterproof. Are all of my shoes suitable for the theater at night with black leggings or skinny pants?

Leslie that's hilarious!