Quantcast
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC Day Trip

We also tried Serendipity around Christmas. Total nightmare and we didn't get in.

We took our girls last Christmas to see the Rockettes. Time Square was a big hit depending on how old your DD is (mine were 9 and 6). They loved Toys R Us (Ferris wheel inside), we walked to the American Girl doll store, several other stores. They loved all the lights and people. We had no luck eating in that area. Everything was packed. We ended up at an upscale pizza place with a table the size of a postage stamp and lunch was over 100 bucks.

I am taking them again and this time I would like to do Ground Zero, Central Park and the Natural History Museum.

Saks 5th Avenue also had this amazing light show at night during the holiday with Holiday music playing. That was a big hit despite the insane crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A&K 05.18.02
    Baby Girl 09.06.05... Angel Baby Oct 2007... Baby Girl 10.21.08
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

I was in New York two weeks ago and had a nightmare experience with a cab driver who refused to use my GPS and after $50 of driving around realized the bridge was closed. I was so angry I demanded he drive to the nearest metro station and let me out. So I dragged my luggage to the subway and to my surprise it was super easy to navigate and WAY cheaper than a taxi because of traffic. Just throwing out a personal experience.

I find Macy's totally overwhelming (so many floors and so many different escalators), but I understand wanting to look at the windows . For lunch in midtown, I liked Parker & Quinn (39th and 6th) for easy American food. And more toward the theater district there is very good pizza (sit down) at Don Antonio (50th and 8th). My niece loved the "fancy" (there are chandeliers... ) lounge at the Marriott Marquis - you can look out over Times Square and have an overpriced cocktail (or shirley temple). She was 10 at the time and it made quite an impression!

(And I will 3rd/4th/whatever-th the subway being easy! But with only one day, and what you want to do, you can probably just walk.)

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
    I find Macy's totally overwhelming (so many floors and so many different escalators), but I understand wanting to look at the windows . For lunch in midtown, I liked Parker & Quinn (39th and 6th) for easy American food. And more toward the theater district there is very good pizza (sit down) at Don Antonio (50th and 8th). My niece loved the "fancy" (there are chandeliers... ) lounge at the Marriott Marquis - you can look out over Times Square and have an overpriced cocktail (or shirley temple). She was 10 at the time and it made quite an impression!

(And I will 3rd/4th/whatever-th the subway being easy! But with only one day, and what you want to do, you can probably just walk.)
    So much of this was going to be exactly my suggestions. I also can't do Macy's. It's a fun thing to say you've done, but OMG that place puts me in overload in about 2 minutes. I cannot navigate it for the life of me.
    Don Antonio is fabulous! And I agree about getting a wow experience at Marriot Marquis. It's lets you experience Times Square without all the chaos.
    I would also walk, taxi or uber for just one day. The subways are super easy but if you just have one day and it appears you're trying to stay kind of centralized it doesn't seem like you'll need to worry about it. I've always felt that some of the thrill of large cities is walking around and seeing what you come across that you may never have known existed otherwise.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I learned that our bus will drop us off at Battery Park and there are a lot of pop-up stores and ice skating right in that area. It's also a block from Times Square, if I understand correctly. So that may be a big part of the day. But I want to make a point of seeing the tree and do some window-shopping.

DD is 9 and has never been to a big city before (I sound like such a hick right there!) so I'm hoping the novelty of everything will fill her day. I remember how cool she thought she was when we went to dinner in downtown Lancaster, PA and walked around a few blocks.

My mom also said that her friend's son is quite familiar with the city, so I feel less stress about knowing the ins and outs.

E&O - Battery park in not near Times Square at all. Maybe Bryant park? I know they put a skating rink up there in the winter :-)
    Married 8.5.2001
    DS 6.8.2005 DD 10.3.2007 DD 4.22.2011

Yeah, Battery Park is at the very tip of Manhattan, and Times Square is in Midtown, they are nowhere near each other.

I agree with spps that it's probably Bryant Park which is behind the Library, indeed a block (or two?) from Times Sq.

You and your DD will have a great time!! Can't wait to see pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J + A

yep, Bryant Park, not Battery.

We'll be in NYC this weekend and a few days next week and I'm having anxiety over finding places to eat. There's so many restaurants, but every time we go, I feel like we just walk around and around until we pick some random place. I'd like to have a little more of a plan. Tomorrow will be spent arriving in NYC and seeing 2 basketball games in Brooklyn. DH want to hit up Coney Island afterwards. We've never been there - is it worth going there at 6:00pm on a Saturday in December? On Sunday, we're planning on a matinee and then the Circle Line Night Cruise. Figuring the matinee gets out around 5 and the cruise starts at 7, we need someplace relatively quick to eat between Broadway/Times Square and the piers on the Hudson River at 42nd St. On Monday, our plan is the Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, so recommendations for around 79th and Central Park, particularly for lunch? We would like to do a nice dinner on Monday. We are staying near Columbus Circle, but we are comfortable with the subway so we will venture around for a nice dinner.

Scarlett, I'm not sure if you'll see this in time today, but for your early dinner tonight you might like Dafni on 42nd between 8th/9th. It's Greek, lots of meze as well as entrees, and at least beer/wine (I don't remember cocktails).