Quantcast
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC Day Trip

Default NYC Day Trip

My mom, DD and I, along with my mom's best friend and 2 of her grown kids will be doing a day trip to NYC on Dec 5. We'll be mainly staying in the touristy areas. See the tree at 30 Rock, visit Macy's and other stores with display windows, etc. It's the first time DD has been to NY and the first time I've been there in over 10 years. My mom goes every year but doesn't venture much out of her comfort zone. Any ideas for places to grad lunch or just fun things to do in that main area, that isn't TGIFridays or Hard Rock. I'd like a little taste of non-touristy things in a highly touristy area. I'll take a taxi but don't really want to navigate the subways.

I would highly recommend the Museum of Mathematics on East 26th and 5th Ave. It is super hands on and fun for kids and adults. Also, the High Line park if the weather is decent. It is a park / walking path built on top of old unused elevated train tracks. It runs from W 34th and 11th Ave down to 14th St.
    Married 8.5.2001
    DS 6.8.2005 DD 10.3.2007 DD 4.22.2011

A bit touristy, but, I think your DD would enjoy Serendipity for lunch and frozen hot chocolate

It's been 10 yrs since I've been to NYC so I'm not even sure all of my favorite restaurants are still there.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Quote Originally Posted by steviem View Post
    A bit touristy, but, I think your DD would enjoy Serendipity for lunch and frozen hot chocolate

It's been 10 yrs since I've been to NYC so I'm not even sure all of my favorite restaurants are still there.
    FYI - We went there on a Saturday in May (ie not a holiday time weekend) a couple of years ago and we got there 30 minute before it opened and there was already a huge line.

You could look into doing tea at the Plaza
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

Just wanted to pop in to tell you the subway is super easy to navigate. I would do that instead of taking cabs. You would waste so much time sitting in traffic.

DS and I tried Serendipity and Serendipity 2 and the line was too long so we gave up. Still on my bucket list!

How old is your DD?

The High Line is really awesome, and just walking around Times Square, the M&M store, the indoor ferris wheel at TRU, etc. are all fun albeit super touristy.

Depending on age, I'd definitely go to ground zero.

My kids are older but loved walking around the High Line, Central Park, we went to Columbia University, saw a show at Lincoln Center, popped into the Natural History Museum (if she saw the movie with Ben Stiller she'll recognize it), ate lunch at an Upper West Side deli, and had cupcakes from Crumbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J + A

Default NYC Day Trip

Just FYI, Serendipity takes reservations.
    ETA: or as an alternative, we loved Dylan's Candy Bar. They have frozen hot chocolate too. My DS also loved lunch at the food court in Grand Central Station. He still talks about that.
    Last edited by dragonfly_71; 11-03-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Bummer about Serendipity, that was on my mental to-do list. But I guess that's too be expected!!
    I'll look into reservations or Dylan's Candy Bar as an alternative. Thanks dragon!

I was thinking of avoiding Time Square, but giving it more consideration, I bet there is a ton she's love there.

When we were last there about a year-ish ago, Serendipity DID take reservations but only for meals, you couldn't make a reservation just to have a frozen hot chocolate. We opted against that because there were other restaurants we really wanted to try.

I've heard Dylan's is super fun, too, but I've never been. That's the one owned by Ralph Lauren's daughter, right?

I love New York. I lived there eons ago and it is to this day a city that immediately fills me with energy as soon as I arrive. The time I spent there (I lived half a block from the diner from Seinfeld!) was fantastic!

J + A

This thread has mentally planning a trip next December. The kids have a 1/2 day on Thursday the second week and we could take the train down for the weekend. I've only been at that time of year twice - once when I was little and once in my early 20s. dS is dying to go and DD wants to go back.

J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09