Quantcast
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl Scouts

mcgwigan - My DH did a version of World Thinking day for one of the pack meetings (he stole the idea from GS). Each den chose a country and had a display with food and a games or activity for the country. The boys traveled around and got stamps in their passport. The boys loved it and they will be doing it each year.
    That's a good idea! Thanks!

Alright scout leaders, talk me down - or at least walk me through this process.

ODD recently moved up from Brownies to Girl Scouts (brown to green). I had inquired about vests/sashes and was told they were ordering them as a troop. Okay, good, great, grand. Never were we told of any costs associated with this, but I figured it would be a few dollars as it was when she moved from Daisies to Brownies. The troop chipped in $5 per girl and then the parents paid the difference (sash versus vest versus extended size, etc).

We get an email this morning telling everyone to bring their nut sale money (we sold 10 items and then are contributing $25 so a total of $85) to the meeting tonight. Fine - we had plans to do that anyways.

Then we were told the uniforms are in and to bring an additional $20 for that. WHAT?!?!

A) a little more advance notice would be appreciated - like when the uniforms were ordered, but definitely not the day of.
    B) Are these uniforms made out of solid gold; why are they costing $40 per girl?!
    C) was there an option to order a smaller package

The way they made it sound, they ordered uniforms; not just a sash. I don't know if ODD is going to be in GS next year so why go all out with a full uniform. I did ask the one troop leader about it. She said it's just the insignia, vest and other badges. I was told they only went with the basics that were needed.

Are badges and insignias THAT costly? I'm going to check it online, but wowzas.

I've calmed down a bit now that she told me what was ordered, but I'm still a little miffed they didn't tell parents right away when they ordered.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Chimi- yes, $40 is well in line for a new uniform. Actually, if they have to get new pins and everything it's more. The prices went up. Badges are mostly $2.00/badge. It adds up very quickly. Sashes are cheaper but the girls may have voted to all have vests as the sashes have a lot of drawbacks. Yes, if they didn't give more advance notice, they should've but our troop does have the parents pay for uniforms and registration so your costs are not unusual. BTW, all girls are Girl Scouts. Her level is Juniors.

Uniforms- I've seen some hot debates about uniforms because there is differing information on what is required vs. what is expected. The official stance is:
    Girl Scouts at each level have one required element (tunic, sash or vest) for the display of official pins and awards, which will be required when girls participate in ceremonies or officially represent the Girl Scout Movement.

For girls ages 5 to 14, the unifying look includes a tunic, vest, or sash combined with their own solid white shirts and khaki pants or skirts. Girl Scouts in high school have the option of wearing a scarf that unites their look with that of Girl Scout sisters around the world. Girl Scouts at the Daisy and Brownie levels have a full uniform ensemble available.
    Our council still says it's just the pin with the white and khaki but that's not what GSUSA says. We just wear our vests at certain events. I like the idea of a uniform but they fall apart and get messy so I've learned to be okay with vests over a nicer (i.e. not play clothes) outfit.

Field trip logistics- I wanted to do a lot of field trips, especially as Daisies but I just could not get anything organized. How did you plan or are you planning on doing that? We met on Thursday evenings, so that ruled out a lot of options as far as businesses go. Couldn't do it in the afternoon because of working parents and kids in aftercare. At the Daisy level, you need 3 adults for troops over 6, I think. We did a few on Saturdays but businesses are not really available at that time either.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

Littlemia, I take that to mean that if Girl Scouts are, say, carrying flags in a city parade, yes, they want them to be in "uniform" (tunic or vest). However, I believe all that is required to be a scout is the pins and to say the promise. Oh, and the $15 registration fee. There are policies in place hen parents can't afford pins or the registration fee.

Chimi, that sounds right for sash, council patches, numbers, and a new insignia tab. But yes they should communicate better.

Uniforms are so much better IMO than they used to be. Much not flexible without the brown jumpers and blouses, green skirts, button down blouses, etc! Also less cost prohibitive to poorer families and GS is all about inclusion.
    Last edited by Taurus; 10-20-2015 at 01:29 PM.

I think all that is technically required is to pay your $15 and you're considered a Girl Scout. I think it's open to interpretation as to what a Girl Scout in uniform is. Yes, they are much more flexible and I really don't mind that they can be worn over street clothes but it's true that Boy Scouts look much "sharper" than Girl Scouts. I think wanting Girl Scouts to be available to anyone, regardless of financial circumstances, makes enforcing the full uniform low on the priority list.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

I finally had the time to read through this thread! DD is in 2nd grade and we are finally getting a troop started. I tried to start one 2 years ago, but lack of support from council and my own procrastination tendencies led to it never happening. I'm really excited for someone else to do the start up. I hope to help the leaders out a bunch - especially now that we've got this thread going (seriously, where would we be without CC? ).

My background is in Camp Fire. I was in it until high school when our council went bankrupt and disbanded. I loved it.

I looked it up online and from my math it's a little cheaper, but not much. And, they might have gotten other things I didn't consider "required". Crap - this is expensive!
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Quote Originally Posted by Chimichanga View Post
    I looked it up online and from my math it's a little cheaper, but not much. And, they might have gotten other things I didn't consider "required". Crap - this is expensive!
    It's not cheap BUT if you consider how much sports uniforms, dance recital gear, etc. cost then it's not so bad. I just priced out what it would be to outfit our troop in Junior uniforms and it was $41.50. That doesn't include the bridge or wings, membership star, or crest (troop would provide those).
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

Our Daisy tunics + badges and pins, etc for just the basics, nothing "fun" were $61.98. The tunic itself is only $16.50 however, so I can see why some people might be confused about that.

littlemia: For us this year we are so far only planning to do 'field trips' to council sponsored events, such as Cookies & Caroling or similar. However, we are fortunate to have several SAHMs available to help drive if any events happen to be after school or odd hours.

We had our first meeting yesterday! We had 11 girls. It was a whirlwind, but I think it went pretty well. We are learning the benefits and challenges of hosting our meetings inside one of the Kinder classrooms right after school. It's nice because it's convenient, but it sucks that we have to lug all of our stuff there, and that there is very limited 'set up' time. We will have to work on this for next time. We did an introduction to Daisies, made name tags in the shape of trefoils, played a 'get to know you' game, talked about the GS promise and law, made an affiliated craft for the promise, and then made bead bracelets for the law. We learned the promise so everyone could earn their daisy center patch. Time went so, so fast! We scheduled 1.5 hours and we were still late. We definitely need to work on organization for the meetings, and I need to work on personally organizing myself.

Q: What do people do to organize all the 'stuff'? I have alllllllll kinds of stuff, as I am sure you can imagine, like paperwork I need to keep handy I guess as a leader, but also I can see I will be accumulating scads of extra craft type supplies. And then I will be wanting to keep extra things on hand like coloring sheets in case the girls are finished early. But also we need to transport it all back and forth for meetings. Normally I like organizational challenges but this one has me stumped. I have a plastic bin with a lid in my garage I can use for general storage, but for the things that need to go back and forth? Maybe one of those wheeled crate things? Some sort of expandable file of some sort?
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

laura There are totes that have handles on them to make them more totable for craft supplies and such. I keep meaning to look for something like that. I have a bag that I rotate stuff in and out of depending on what we are doing at our meetings and a smallish bin that I've also been using for stuff. I have a TON of stuff for scouts and I'm having a hard time with it because it junks up my house! I've been saving all sorts of items like egg cartons I've been saving because I'm sure I'll use them -which I have -they are great for putting paints in for the kids to share. I also cut some in half to give each boy a holder to find 6 items on a hike. But yes- a bin with handles that makes it easier to carry. I think they have them at Michaels.

Our uniforms add up really quick -shirt $25, neckerchief $8, slide $4, Hat $12, belt $10, plus patches needed for the shirt are probably around $7ish, plus the handbook which is $8. Heck it cost me about $70 to outfit myself with a shirt and get everything for DS1 but the shirt (which I already had)-adult shirts are $45-$50 I think.