Quantcast
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl Scouts

Default Girl Scouts

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I guess this is okay. Also okay for Boy Scout moms to join, but since my primary interest is Girl Scouts and the groups seem pretty different, I figured I would just go with that title...

So I'm co-leading DD's Kinder Daisy troop this year. I kind of got dragged into it, and the training has been A LOT, but I'm hoping once we get rolling it won't be so bad and maybe will even be fun. DD is so so SO excited about it, so that's good motivation too.

Quick summary: our troop currently has 10 girls, just from her school. We did advertise it to all the K classes, but not heavily and we didn't push for a lot of members because we are trying to keep it manageable. We have made parental participation a requirement, so all of our moms also 'joined' and got volunteer certified. So far our parents seem pretty good. There is one mom who I just find personally annoying and one mom who said she can't help at all ever "because she works" which I find annoying, but otherwise it seems like a good group. Moms are happy to help and pay and support when/where they can, which is nice. We aren't doing cookies this year so we asked for $50 start up costs and we will have the girls bring 25 cents for "dues" each week. This year we are just focusing on petals. I actually am/was pushing to do them all this year so we could do something else next year, but we are just going to see how it goes. My co-leader wants to take the 2 years to do the petals only. We aren't doing a journey this year, but ideally I would like to do one next year. Our plan is for 1 meeting and 1 outing/month on average. We have asked each parent to sign up to lead a petal activity at each meeting, which at least for the sign up portion has been successful. My co-leader has a daughter who is a 2nd grade brownie this year, so she has a bit of experience but she's never been a leader. Our parents are a mix of first timers and people with older daughters in brownies now.

ETA: we are meeting in one of the Kinder classrooms at DD's school, and our meetings are immediately following school one day per month. I'm so glad we don't have to use our homes, although one of my friends does that for her troop and she loves it. So you never know...

Not sure what else.... others?
    Last edited by laura; 10-15-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Not a leader, but a parent of two in girl scouts.

MDD is in her 2nd year of Daisy. Technically. I say that because they started in like May of last year. They have been whipping through petals AND doing Journey. I'm okay with that. they meet twice a month at 6 p.m. DH drops her off and I pick up. One time they asked me to help out at the meeting because the co-leader wasn't there. I happily helped out. Unfortunately I can't do much with the meetings as I don't get home until after 6 p.m. But, have offered to help coordinate things or just throw money at it. The leaders seem good. This year we have 10 girls and they are the squirreliest lot ever. But, MDD is enjoying it.

ODD is a Girl Scout Junior this year. She's been involved since Daisies. We have had the same two leaders since 2nd grade (so, third year). The one annoys the hell outta me, but I try to work with her. The other is okay. Unfortunately, I really haven't been able to help chaperon things for her troop. The leaders don't allow younger siblings to come along - I totally get it and understand! But, DH works Saturday mornings/evenings so I'd either have to find a sitter (and pay for my way to the event) or just not go. I take the latter. ODD has been one of the top - if not the top - cookie seller in her troop since day 1. The troop has been fairly consistent over the years. I think we're at about 10-12 girls. I honestly don't know what the hell they do during their meetings. They don't do the "standard" trips. They have earned badges so obviously they are doing something.

While I realize I can't be the most involved mom, I do try. I make suggestions and offer to help with those. But, they haven't been taken advantage of. Example - I found a cute project to turn the Daisy vest/apron into a carrying bag for Brownies. My mom and ODD did that. Super quick and relatively easy (ODD did all the sewing). The leaders commented on how neat that was. I found the sewing badge, offered to come in with my sewing machine - my mom offered to come too - and the girls could make this easy project and we'd help teach about sewing. I mean, I handed it to them on a platter. Crickets.

I have always been happy to do what I can to support, and try to help suggest ideas/options and then be the point person for those. I'll see if the Daisy troop takes me up on any of these.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

I'm a co-leader of a 3rd Grade Brownie troop of 6 girls. We meet every other Tuesday at the school for an hour. And the occasional weekend outing/event. We're having a lot of fun earning the badges. We don't go too crazy with the cookie sales, but we managed to have about $200 left over at the end of the year. That added to the Volunteer grant I got from my employer ($250) we're sitting pretty and aren't stressing the fall product sales. I've made it completely optional and no goals have been set.

I'm also the leader of a Daisy Troop. We've only had 1 meeting so far. Another meeting tonight. We'll see how many girls I end up with. 8 or 9 said they were interested, but only 6 came last time. We're meeting every other Thursday at the school for an hour.

I'll admit I'm a little overwhelmed with the starting a troop from scratch bit. I took over the Brownie troop last year. So I just added my name to the bank account and went on.

Haven't had a chance to get a good read on the parents of the daisy troop yet. But they seem pretty easy going and agreed to the suggestions for meeting times and snacks last week. And they all voluntarily took the fall product sales packets. I also said we weren't going to push it, but to keep in mind the more we sold/earned the more money the troop would have to spend on activities.

We are at a lower income school and a few of the parents have requested financial aid for the membership fee and uniform. I would like to fund the activities with troop money as much as possible. The plan for the year is the petals and then do a journey next year. We have a few 1st graders too (there isn't a troop), and since they'll be bridging to Brownies next year I want to get the petals done now.

Subscribing ...Cub scout leader, mo time to read or respond at the moment.

I'm the leader of my DD"s Brownie troop. This is the third year for most of them. There are 10 girls and all but one is in second grade. They are from the two different elementary schools in our district. We have a new girl that joined who is in 3rd grade. This year won't be hard, but next year will be interesting in having one junior and the rest Brownies. We meet twice a month for an hour, though sometimes we run over. We meet at a church it is nice since it has a kitchen available to us. We may have an extra outing thrown in. This month we have a Halloween program put on by the council and next month the girls will earn their Letterboxing badge through a council activity.

Our first meeting of the year I presented the three Brownie journeys and the badges and they wanted to work on the badges first. Some of the journeys seem too much like school. We did two as Daisies. The first one, Between the Earth and the Sky, we did four a couple months and it seemed to drag. The Three Cheers for Animals we did in three meetings with a tour and donation to an animal shelter.

Not sure if this is available all over or just in my council, but they added something called the Volunteer Tool Kit, and it has all the badges and journeys in there with meeting plans. I could have used that when I first started. Pinterest and Google are still my friends for ideas though.

I think we will try our first troop camp in the spring. My DD and I did go to the service unit camp out this past summer. We tagged along with another troop and I got some great ideas from them!

Hi! Leader of 11 2nd year Brownies. 3rd year as leader, 4th year with GS. Will come back later with some comments. Need to go to bed.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

Quote Originally Posted by Chimichanga View Post
    While I realize I can't be the most involved mom, I do try. I make suggestions and offer to help with those. But, they haven't been taken advantage of. Example - I found a cute project to turn the Daisy vest/apron into a carrying bag for Brownies. My mom and ODD did that. Super quick and relatively easy (ODD did all the sewing). The leaders commented on how neat that was. I found the sewing badge, offered to come in with my sewing machine - my mom offered to come too - and the girls could make this easy project and we'd help teach about sewing. I mean, I handed it to them on a platter. Crickets.

I have always been happy to do what I can to support, and try to help suggest ideas/options and then be the point person for those. I'll see if the Daisy troop takes me up on any of these.
    I know I said I was going to bed but I just read back and saw this. Do you think it is a time or continuity issue that they couldn't fit this in? I would love for someone to plan and execute a meeting or activity (and have been asking since day 1 if someone would do it and I get crickets) but the troop had a tight schedule, we may not be able to accommodate it.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

Our first meeting went really well today. 12 Kinder Daisys. I'm the leader and have a co and a great group of parents.

At the Daisy-level training they talked a lot about how if you are truly allowing the "girl-led" thing to blossom, then you can't have too much of an agenda for your badges. If your girls want to keep going deeper with something and stay on it, you follow that instead of pushing what you want to do. I thought we'd focus on a few petals, but I can already tell this group will love the Animals Journey, so we are going to start up on that and I'm already starting took into a big outing at an animal rehabilitation barn. I told the parents we may or may not earn all the petals in two years; I'm sure we can, but my bigger goal is that the girls feel they have a say in what we do and love it.

An hour was the perfect length for our mtg today, and I think next time we'll have to work in one outdoor "circle game."

I became leader because no one else stepped up and I wanted my son to do Scouts. There are leader handbooks that I did not have for last year, but I did purchase on my own this year....before I suggested to the Committee Chair that the pack provide the Leader books to all leaders, so he did that at least. They are really helpful in planning meetings and have a ton of resources.

The new group of Cub Scouts this year has not had a leader step up so I've been doing that one too....it's really just too much! But I also have a son in that group and he wants to do Scouts. I have a sign up for the other parents to sign up for a month each to lead the meetings, I can give them their topic and help, but they will need to do the implementation. This is a very stand- offish group. At this age the boys need to have an adult with them. All the adults want to sit & observe and not participate so I've got 8 boys to keep under control plus direct the parents! I've invited them all to our committee meeting this weekend, I figure whoever shows we will be asking to step up as leader.

Outdoor games: Chase the dragon is really fun- ideally you want at least 8 kids, we do parents too. Each group forms a front to back line & you put your hands on the shoulders of the person in front of you. The front person gets blind folded and the last person in the line gets a tail- piece of fabric tucked in the belt or top of pants. The object is to have the 2 dragons face off and try to get each others tails. It's hysterical- we do kids vs parents.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemia View Post
    I know I said I was going to bed but I just read back and saw this. Do you think it is a time or continuity issue that they couldn't fit this in? I would love for someone to plan and execute a meeting or activity (and have been asking since day 1 if someone would do it and I get crickets) but the troop had a tight schedule, we may not be able to accommodate it.
    Possibly - but it was never communicated to me. I'd totally understand/get it if the schedule was full. Truly would and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all (even said that when I suggested it). The troop has had the same girls since Kinder for the most part. So, they all had Daisy vests. I said my mom and I would bring the supplies and I did research on other things to teach them so they could get the badge. I explained what would take place and about how long it would take each girl to sew the bag (about 5 minutes per).

I sometimes feel the leaders only communicate when it works for them. In theory I'm getting a permission slip for some activity next weekend. It remains to be seen if I'll actually GET the slip. But the one leader was spouting off about it to the girls so now they are all excited to go. And I do think it would be neat - it's about Greek goddesses. But, are they going to do any activities/learning about them before going? I'm filling ODD's head with information because I enjoy Greek mythology but will the other girls know anything about it?

But, I also realize I can be very controlling about certain things at certain times. So, it might be my personality that is conflicting and no one else thinks much about it.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12