Quantcast
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Our Fab 40's

I just use either a Nice n Easy or Preference color kit because I am cheap. In the past I have gone to Sally Beauty Supply and bought stuff there, but everything is purchased separately. I did not care for a Nutrisse kit that I used because it seemed to leave my hair flat and oily - but my hair is kind of fine to begin with, it would probably be good for a darker, coarser hair type though.

You could always try a semi-permanent color first if you're nervous!

YOu're right, I should probably try a semi permanent kit first! I have very fine hair as well, that's something I wouldn't have considered!
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

For semi permanent, I like Natural Instincts. It is really gentle on the hair.

My problem with coloring the grey hairs is that mine are a complete different texture than my regular hair. So even if everything is the same color, the ones that were grey still stick out all over.

I have white hair coming in too (I think I'm at 30% now).

Semi-permanent is not enough to cover my gray (white).

I've used drug store color, but eventually it is hard on your hair. I do my own roots now (using Wella colorcharm from Sally beauty) because they need to be done every three weeks. Then I have bayalage added by a precessional every couple of months. It can be expensive once you need to really start coloring, because the roots are SO obvious. You can't go back.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Yay. I got my period this am. I don't know what that means: was it late or did I skip or is it the same thing? I will call my gyno on Monday to find out.

I have been getting my hair colored for years. I don't have many grays but I get highlights and yes, as time has gone by, I do need more coverage to cover the sporadic grays. They are mostly at the top of my head and a few right at the top of my forehead.

I used to use Preference as well but as time went on and more gray showed up I went the professional route. My hair was a dark brown but I have gradually gone to a light brown/blonde as it hides the gray more especially at the roots. I get mine done every 6 weeks.

Yeah, add me to the camp of "I've been coloring my hair for years." Seriously- I think I was going gray by 25! I swear if I didn't color, I'd be mostly gray!

In the beginning I used boxed color but like others have said, I can be harsh on your hair. If you have a mostly basic hair color (not a lot of variation/highlights,) then I think you can get away with boxed color, especially if you are brown haired. But, blonde and reds are harder to make look "natural" from boxed color, at least in my experience.

I have to color every FOUR weeks. I have brownish/reddish hair with highlights. I get it cut/colored every 8 weeks. On week 4, I do my own roots using the Wella color from Sally Beauty that Gia mentioned. My hair lady turned me onto this stuff a few years ago and I love it so much. It is SOOOOO much cheaper than boxed color and it's very easy to do. It' slike $3 for a tube of the color (gel) and then you buy some developer which is maybe $5 and you mix it (directions are included on the bottles.) The tubes last forever, especially if you are only doing root touch-ups.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Quote Originally Posted by mcgwigan View Post
    I can not imagine getting pregnant at this age! I'm already tired!! No oops possibility for my since I had a hysterectomy, but the downside is that I won't really know about menopause.
    Right there with you mcg. It feels weird now to have friends talking about periods or even menopause, I'm an outsider. I'm relived to have no fears of late-life pregnancy and not having to deal with periods is awesome, but it's still strange to have that part over already but not be in menopause.

So I'm joining this thread b/c I turn 4-0 next month. Sigh. As if this year hadn't sucked enough for me. I'm trying to be more positive about the whole 40s thing, but so far not-so-much.

As for grey/white hair now that I died my hair back to it's natural dark blond I found white hairs growing in around my temples. I find this fascinating b/c I hadn't realized I was going grey/white. I'm wondering how long they've been there but were covered up by the hair bleaching?

For mamo my dr ordered my first one to be this spring, but I haven't seen the appointment reminded yet. Not looking forward to that either. Aging is the worst!
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

You guys. 40s aren't old! Seriously, I was in the best mental and physical shape of my life in my 40s! I got married in my 40s; I was thin and hot in my 40s! I miss my 40s!

Things didn't start to slide downhill until my early-mid 50s (post-menopause). The 50s decade has been the real game changer. That's when my shape started to change, and I basically had to start working out like a madwoman in order to not gain weight. And when I noticed subtle differences in the shape of my face; my pointed little chin has begun to square off and look a little jowly. Ughhh.

Enjoy your 40s! You've got a whole decade before dramatic physical changes take place. I think being proactive about your health is very wise, but don't freak out about your appearance; you're still very young!
    "And as cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round;
    If your bottle's empty, help yourself to mine
    Thank you for your time...Here's to life!"
    - Mekong

I have a "gray/white" streak at my temples and a LOT of random greys at the top of my head. My hair is in a reverse bob, and fortunately, the top of my hair covers the huge patch of gray, but if I pull it back, it's like WHOA, GRAY HAIR ALERT! Like it's a HUGE Patch. I am afraid of box color b/c my hair is a strawberry blonde with a lot of copper red and I can't afford the $125 to color/cut it like it needs, at least every 6 weeks. So for me, right now I'm just trying to wear my hair down!

Sin-thanks for the encouragement for us 40 somethings.
    Bloom, Yay for AF. My cycles were starting to be irregular last May so I went on the pill, just to avoid the hassle of worrying when it will come.