Quantcast
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Fab 40's

Bloom,I don't think this is exactly the same, but a couple of years ago my cycles became much closer (20 or 21 days or even less) and I started having horrible breast tenderness for up to a week ahead of each period. I also get horomonal migraines that would last more than a week after starting my period. It became so I was miserable most of the time. I actually ended up trying BCPs (something I hadn't done since my 20s). It has helped mitigate some of those symptoms (although migraines are still an issue). I don't know exactly how BCPs compare to straight progesterone.
    Wife: August, 2002 ~ LJ ~ Mother: May, 2005

Ugh, I've had several things recently that are reminding me I'm in my 40s. Last Friday I had my annual and a mammogram. While the nurse was taking my history/info she was going through all the usual questions, then she says "are you still getting your period?". All I could think is, wow, have I reached that age where THAT'S going to happen every year? Couldn't she have just asked when my LMP was and I could have said whether I had it or not? Then, I went to the dentist yesterday and after 35-40 minutes of cleaning and poking at my gums with a sharp metal instrument, the dentist came in to do a once-over. He's like oh I know you just had your cleaning but I'm seeing a lot of inflammation and bleeding here. Then he says, it could be hormonal depending on where you are in your cycle...or if you're pregnant. My head whipped around. WTF. Yes, I know that but a.) it's none of your damn business where I am in my cycle and b.) how inappropriate - I would have said if I was pregnant (I had X-rays) and for all he knew I could have just had a miscarriage or something. FINALLY, I got a call today that I have to go back and get another image of my left boob - didn't say why so now I'll stew over that for awhile. I know I have "breast dense tissue" and this is only my second mammo so I'm hoping they just didn't get a good view. But, seriously, man, I am over being in my 40s this week.
    Lori & Scott October 26, 2002-10 years down, a lifetime to go...

Lbs, you'd be surprised at how not obvious it is that a patient would think to share they're possibly pregnant. And yes, it is totally your dentist's business, since pregnancy can greatly affect the choice of safe procedures, medications, and anticipated side effects. I'd be alarmed if he didn't bring it up!

Sorry to hear of the callback. Try not to worry, I'm sure it's just that the dense tissue needs a closer look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J + A

I need to schedule my next mammo. One friend posted on FB today that she has breast cancer (caught early) and another texted me tonight that she found a half dollar sized lump. Her mother just had her own breast cancer battle a few years ago. Motherf-er.

Lbs, I had to go back too-- and I completely freaked out because I had been out of town for a few days and they called Every.Single.Day to come back in. But it was fine .

Thanks Sky - I appreciate what you said! I was just really taken aback since I had told the assistant I wasn't pregnant and he had just looked at my X-rays, plus I've been going there for 15+ years and my gums bleed every time and he's never once said that. It just came out of nowhere sort of. There's nothing wrong and nothing that needs treatment - He basically said i need to floss more. :-)
    Lori & Scott October 26, 2002-10 years down, a lifetime to go...

Quote Originally Posted by skyblu View Post
    Lbs, you'd be surprised at how not obvious it is that a patient would think to share they're possibly pregnant.
    I did that once. I saw my dermatologist when I was about 26 weeks pregnant with my second child. The nurse had asked if I was taking medications and I said no. Then the doctor asked if I was taking any special vitamins and it dawned on me that she was also asking if i was pregnant. I was not tiny so i thought it was obvious but she said she sees all shapes and sizes and never assumes!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Ladies, I just want to share my SILs experience to warn everyone to be cautious with birth control pills to regulate periods. My SIL was on bcp because her periods were so heavy & to regulate her cycles. She went to the ER last Friday morning and they found she had multiple pulmonary embolisms (blood clots) in her lungs. Further testing revealed 22 blood clots in one leg and several in the other and she spent the week in the hospital on IV blood thinners and is home now, but very restricted on what she can do. BCP can cause blood clots so make sure you discuss this with your Dr. We are all so thankful that my brother insisted SIL to go to the ER. She had been in yo see her MD several weeks before that and this was not diagnosed then. She was supposed to fly to TX 5 days after she went to the ER and her DR us quite certain she would have died on that plane had she gone.

Yikes! What were her symptoms that made her go to the ER in the first place?
    Married: April 20, 2002
    DD: January 25, 2008

Holy crap MCG. That is awful. A coworkers son dropped dead after a flight to Hawaii. He had a pulmonary embolism. He was 43. It is so awful because his wife said he complained of shortness of breath and feeling some pressure. If he had gone to the doctor, he would have been ok.

My friend was recently diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. She has to have chemo through January to try and shrink it then surgery and radiation. She is 42.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A&K 05.18.02
    Baby Girl 09.06.05... Angel Baby Oct 2007... Baby Girl 10.21.08
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle