Quantcast
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

stevie - I don't know if this would work for your DD, but DD was a good reader but not an avid reader until we told her that she could either go to sleep or stay up and read in bed until 9:10 every night with a flashlight. I think it was the mystery of being able to "stay up later" each night and use a flashlight, but something totally clicked for her and she is choosing to read so much more now. That night time reading doesn't count as part of her reading log for school, it's just extra for fun. Now she goes to bed earlier so she can read longer, because it's lights out at 9:10 no matter what.

Taurus - DD1 has to read specific genre books this year in 4th and the first genre is mystery. The librarian gave the kids a bunch of examples and the most coveted one was The London Eye Mystery by Sioban Dowd. DD didn't get it so I don't have first hand knowledge but it sounds pretty interesting. Sticking with the mystery theme since I have it on the brain, other books I looked up for her include Escape from Lemoncello's Library and The Invention of Hugo Cabret (we've not seen the movie). However, they are still more fantasy than "real" so may not be what your son is into.

Stevie - has DD read Harry Potter? I've heard so many stories of that being the book that made reading click for kids. I think it definitely had that effect for DD1.

Pine Tree - I just love hearing stories of Americana being alive and well, so your town's Humphrey project makes me happy.

DD2 (7) is an excellent reader but she loves those ridiculous Junie B Jones books. Of course, I don't tell her what I think of these books except to say that I didn't appreciate the bad grammar. I don't think she has the attention span to see thicker chapter book through to the end on her own. We've read HP1 and HP2 to her/with her but I told her she has to read HP3 on her own AFTER she practices on some bigger chapter books first. I'm encouraging her to read Ralph and the Motorcycle. She also loves the Goddess Girls but those again are ridiculous. She was never into the Magic Treehouse books. We've read a few of the Little House books with her but I think she's over those. Basically, I'm still waiting to discover what types of books she likes aside from books about little girls.

Agree about Wonder.

My daughter was a reluctant reader last year (when she was 7) and the books that really got her into it were Scholastic Branches books, especially Eerie Elementary and Notebook of Doom. They're short and have pictures and would be really good to read this time of year too. She also likes the My Weird School books.

Some other books she really likes now are the Lulu books by Judith Voirst, The Doll People, and the easier Roald Dahl books (for example the Twits, George's Marvelous Medicine). Her very favorite might be the Willoughbys which I read aloud and I loved so much too. She really likes funny books.
    Eve Eleanor arrived June 5, 2007
    Graham Alexander arrived February 27, 2010
    George Derek arrived October 17, 2014

Does she like dogs? What about the Puppy Place series?
    Yes! She loves puppies and kittens- I will check those out Thank you!

Pine- fun idea about being able to stay up late.... she's always begging to stay up an extra 10 minutes at night and I never allow it (on school nights) so this might work

Bloom- We have some HP books- I got them for DS1 and he had no interest, but maybe DD will?? She's been reading the Magic Treehouse books and says she likes them but not enough to get her to read "just because." She reads because she has to (for school.) But who knows, maybe a really good book will change it for her
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Sorry, coming back to add:

I forgot another book series that DS1 really enjoys: Geronimo Stilton. He has been reading them since 2nd grade (he's in 4th now) and he still likes them quite a bit

I just read up on some of the books/series you ladies have suggested- thank you! I think DS will LOVE the "I Survived books" (and I will too!), as well as the Humphrey books. I had never heard of these before. And, Cupcake Diaries and Puppy Place books look like something DD will really enjoy. Thanks for the great suggestions!
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Quote Originally Posted by magrat View Post
    My daughter was a reluctant reader last year (when she was 7) and the books that really got her into it were Scholastic Branches books, especially Eerie Elementary and Notebook of Doom. They're short and have pictures and would be really good to read this time of year too. She also likes the My Weird School.
    Same here, and I just discovered Branches today when I was looking for "chapter books about birds," which my 7yo DD asked for. They have Owl's Diaries, which I'm going to get for her. I found a bunch of others (non-Branches) and took out a bag full at the library but if anyone has any recommendations for chapter books about birds, I'd love them. I did find a couple from the A to Z Mysteries series (a canary and a falcon). I took out some of the I Survived... Books, too. And a book called Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot, which is part of a series, so I'm hoping she'll like it. I tried Gooney Bird books (by Lois Lowry) with her but she didn't like them. She does like the Heidi Heckelbeck books, too. I just finished reading aloud to her Ms. Rapscott's Girls [for Girls of Busy Parents] and she loved it.

My 5th grader was a reluctant reader for years and it drove me crazy, but she's finally getting into books this year. She's read four since school began - Eight Keys (she loved!), Gracie Stirs It Up (American Girl), Hunger Games, and Almost Home by Joan Bauer. She wants to read a couple of other Joan Bauer books. She's reading Secret Hum of a Daisy right now. And they're reading Wonder at School. She says she likes realistic fiction aka sad books and adventure books.
    Last edited by twinnyme; 10-02-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12
    The Mommy (& Everything Else) Journal

What is Branches?

DD hasn't read any of these, but I remember as a kid really loving the books by Gordon Korman - he has a boys boarding school series, but then a bunch of other books too. He wrote the first boarding school book in 7th grade! He's from Canada and his books were hugely popular at my school. I still have a few.

Pine tree - As a kid my siblings and I loved the Gordon korman zuchinni warriors books. I took one out of the library for DS who refused to even look at it.
    Married 8.5.2001
    DS 6.8.2005 DD 10.3.2007 DD 4.22.2011

Quote Originally Posted by magrat View Post
    My daughter was a reluctant reader last year (when she was 7) and the books that really got her into it were Scholastic Branches books, especially Eerie Elementary and Notebook of Doom. They're short and have pictures and would be really good to read this time of year too. She also likes the My Weird School books.
    My son has plowed through the My Weird School books recently and also all of the A-Z Mysteries and Calendar Mysteries, which are not great literature but I'm okay with him reading just for fun at home. He also loves any books about sports, so the Baseball Mysteries series is fun for him (they go through each major league ballpark and there's a mystery that the two kids solve). He likes the Boxcar Children and Sideways Stories from Wayside School (a personal favorite of mine - so many of the little vignettes crack me up). He's in first grade and is not a big fan of scary or "dark" things so I am hesitant to try HP with him, even as a read aloud.

taurus, when I used to teach 5th grade the Carl Hiaasen books were the most popular read alouds, always. My whole class was obsessed with Hoot, especially, when it first came out. I loved it too.
    Leo 12/5/08 ...and Ivy 7/26/12

I read quite a few children's and YA books this year, including Hoot and Wonder, mentioned above. Some of them were favorites from my childhood: Judy Blume's Fudge Series, which has some new titles, and Lois Lowry's Anastasia Series. I also read a few new books: Hoot and Wonder, which were mentioned above as well as Homesick by Kate Klise and Olivia Bean, Trivia Queen by Donna Gephardt. I'd recommend both of those. There were some more but nothing that stands out right now.

DD is reading the Ramona Series right now but she's jumping around between books which is driving me crazy. She's also a fan of the Ever After High series because they're challenging in that they are long but I don't think the reading level is particularly high. She's a good reader but she's more likely to choose screen time over reading as it takes a lot less energy. She started Harry Potter but after school her brain is just too tired so she often chooses to breeze through a Puppy Place or similar series book and I think that's fine because any reading is better than none in that it is at least maintaining reading skills. One of the reasons I read so many kids books is because I hadn't read a book in so long that my brain needed to warm up and get used to focusing on more than headlines and skimming articles.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11