Quantcast
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Pine Tree, that's awesome! I had never heard of these books before he stumbled upon them at the library. I was (jokingly) asking him if it was like the Wonder Pets and he got annoyed with me. Ha! They are all way below DS1's reading level, but I think they are right on for his maturity level. What stinks is that the reading level is too high for DS2. That's the spot I seem to be in with a lot of these series. DS2 is obsessed with Captain Underpants right now and those books can be a little or a lot over his reading level depending on the book. I am just waiting for his teacher to say he needs to be reading more "just right" books. I know we still have all of DS1's books from when he was at the reading level that DS2 is now, but DS2 does not seem to want to read those books.

I second the recommendation for Dewey the Library Cat.. My DD loved that one.

My DD also read the Ralph Mouse books from way back when we were kids and liked those.

My DDs favorite book from last year was Wonder which I thought might be a bit old for her but was right on.

I'm helping run our scholastic book fair this year so I'm hoping to get some good book scoop to share

Thanks - we'll try the Humphrey books. Looks like they are part of Scholastic Reading Counts.

He already loves those Nat. Geo animal books and the Who Would Win series.

Quote Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
    My DDs favorite book from last year was Wonder which I thought might be a bit old for her but was right on.
    garden has your daughter read The Candymakers?

Quote Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post

I have not read this yet, but I heard it was good. I just learned the other day that our middle school reads it in Literacy, but I am not sure what grade. There is a second book out or coming out as well. (?)

Thanks for the suggestions. I should clarify that the books I mentioned aren't nonfiction - when I said "real crimes" I meant they deal with people doing not-nice stuff like vandalizing property in protest. Hoot is about some kids that try to stop a builder from building where there is an owl colony.
    Oh, yes -I think we've read one like this! I don't think it was a chapter book.

We do have the National Geographic Big Book of Why and also rcvd the National Geographic Magazines for a year from my aunt that sent us the adult, Kids and Jr versions.

Not books, but DS1 also enjoys Boys Life magazines that he gets from scouts.

I loved Dewey the Library Cat! It was too far above my boys' level/attention span to read it to them, but there is also a children's storybook about Dewey set at Christmas time that mine LOVE! So if you have preschoolers or Kindergartners, check that one out!
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    garden has your daughter read The Candymakers?
    She's actually right in the middle of it! It's a bit of a longer one for her so it's been taking a while. She usually reads 2 books at a time, one at school and one at home and that ones at school.

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieR View Post
    I have not read this yet, but I heard it was good. I just learned the other day that our middle school reads it in Literacy, but I am not sure what grade. There is a second book out or coming out as well. (?)
    Yeah I read it years ago, then she read it at the beginning of 4th last year, and then they read it at the end of 4th in class. Pretty good from what I remember, which is not a lot because I'm old.

So, DD (7 yrs) isn't much of a reader She is very good at reading (well above her grade level,) but doesn't enjoy it and I wish I could change that. Then again, I was the same when I was her age. I will have to check out some of these books you all have mentioned to see if something clicks for her.

DS1, OTOH, loves to read! His favorites have been Wimpy Kid and Big Nate books, but recently he is loving the series called Dog Tags by C. Alexander London. They are books about the different wars, and all focus on guys who have dogs in the war (okay that was a really crappy description but I promise the books are supposed to be great!) http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Tags-1-Sem...=dog+tags+book

We also recently got him the Hardy Boys series but he hasn't touched them :/
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Quote Originally Posted by steviem View Post
    So, DD (7 yrs) isn't much of a reader She is very good at reading (well above her grade level,) but doesn't enjoy it and I wish I could change that. Then again, I was the same when I was her age. I will have to check out some of these books you all have mentioned to see if something clicks for her.
    Does she like dogs? What about the Puppy Place series?

I will check out the Dog Tag series for DS1. Thank you.