Quantcast
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default Book recommendation chat for independent readers

I know we've had some various reading threads in the kid forums before, but book recommendations have gotten buried in those threads.

I'd like to propose a thread specifically for posting a book or books that your child has really enjoyed in order to receive personal recommendations form other posters for similar books or books that their similar-sounding child also liked. Does that make sense?

Please be sure to use the quote feature when replying to people so we can keep it all straight/keep track of replies meant for us.

I'll start us off in the next post.

DS(9) really enjoyed Hoot by Carl Hiaasen and is now tearing through Chomp. He started Scat but it was "too scary." Does anyone have any recommendations for him based on these likes? I think he likes the "realness" of these books (they are about real "crimes," have unlikable characters, etc.) and also the focus on animals.

TIA! Please quote when you reply!

DS(9) really enjoyed Hoot by Carl Hiaasen and is now tearing through Chomp. He started Scat but it was "too scary." Does anyone have any recommendations for him based on these likes? I think he likes the "realness" of these books (they are about real "crimes," have unlikable characters, etc.) and also the focus on animals.
    Sorry, I am not really familiar with these! What about things like the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew series. I think they are both "mystery" sort of series if I'm remembering correctly.

My DS1 is 7 and loves the Magic Treehouse books. These are his first chapter books that he has taken upon himself to choose and will read a bit more independantly. He likes the facts in them, I think, as well as the story lines. I think he prefers non-fiction over fiction. He really liked the Guinness Book of World records that we had -it got left outside in the rain so I had to throw it out, so I have that on his Christmas list this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post

I am not familiar with these books, either.

What about the "I survived" series? I believe they are realistic fiction. http://isurvived.scholastic.com/books

For animals, DS1 read this book recently and loved it. This is non-fiction:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dewey-Library-.../dp/0316068705

Thanks for the suggestions. I should clarify that the books I mentioned aren't nonfiction - when I said "real crimes" I meant they deal with people doing not-nice stuff like vandalizing property in protest. Hoot is about some kids that try to stop a builder from building where there is an owl colony.

Leslie, Dewey sounds like it would interest him. And it's in the Scholastic Reading Coubts program, so he can test on it in school (he has a monthly requirement so I al forever cross referencing books to see if they are in the programs). Thanks
    Last edited by Taurus; 10-01-2015 at 06:50 AM.

Taurus - my DD loves the National Geographic Kids Chapter books. There are tonnes of these - Ape Escapes, Dog Finds Lost Dolphin etc... These are true stories about animals, but they have good "plots".

She also loves the "who would win" series about animals. She got "Ultimate Ocean Rumble" and read it to herself, then to me, and then to DH she loved it so much.

The cupcake diaries series has been a recent hit - I can check them as ebooks so DD read a bunch of those this summer. Right now she's going through the Ramona books and enjoying them a lot.

She also read "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" which was one of my favorite books as a kid. She really liked it.

My DS, age 9, really likes the I Survived series. These are historical fiction about a character that survives some big catastrophic event in history. There's Gettysburg, 9/11, the Japanese Tsunami from a few years ago, the Titanic, and a bunch more.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgwigan View Post
    Sorry, I am not really familiar with these! What about things like the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew series. I think they are both "mystery" sort of series if I'm remembering correctly.

My DS1 is 7 and loves the Magic Treehouse books. These are his first chapter books that he has taken upon himself to choose and will read a bit more independantly. He likes the facts in them, I think, as well as the story lines. I think he prefers non-fiction over fiction. He really liked the Guinness Book of World records that we had -it got left outside in the rain so I had to throw it out, so I have that on his Christmas list this year.
    mcg - my son loves random fact books like the Guinness Book of World Records. Time has a bunch that are really good: The Big Book of Why, Big Book of How. Also National Geographic has some good ones: 5000 Awesome Facts.

As for the Magic Treehouse books, nearly all of the books have a non-fiction companion book that explores the history/science in more detail.

Thanks for the suggestions. I should clarify that the books I mentioned aren't nonfiction - when I said "real crimes" I meant they deal with people doing not-nice stuff like vandalizing property in protest. Hoot is about some kids that try to stop a builder from building where there is an owl colony.

Leslie, Dewey sounds like it would interest him. And it's in the Scholastic Reading Coubts program, so he can test on it in school (he has a monthly requirement so I al forever cross referencing books to see if they are in the programs). Thanks
    You're welcome! I will warn you that the end is sad and DS1 teared up over it.

More animal books-he recently has gotten into the Humphrey books.
    http://bettybirney.com/humphreyville.html

Our town is doing a "common reading" for the three elementary schools and they chose the first Humphrey book. Humphrey is a classroom hamster.

Every child gets a free copy of the book and every school has a stuffed Humphrey and there are trivia contests at different businesses where you can win tickets to enter into school wide draws. The mayor read Chapter 2 on video and they showed it in each school. The stuffed Humphreys visit each classroom and kids get their pictures taken with it and there are all sorts of fun activities associated with the book. It just started this week, but the kids are so excited about the book. I started reading it and it's great. This is so classic "small town", makes me laugh.

They did a big fundraising drive to pay for the books and got tonnes of support.