Quantcast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My workout schedule has gotten pretty intense of late. I belong to a gym, have recently gotten a personal trainer, and also have a gym-quality elliptical machine at home. Here's what I do.

Daily: 15 squats + 40 plank ab rolls on foam roller, twice per day (morning and evening)
    Workdays: hour-long lunchtime walk most workdays, unless workload prevents
    In addition, I have the following schedule:
    Mondays: 30 minutes stationary bike + 20 minutes strength training/weight machines
    Tuesdays: 30 minutes elliptical at home
    Wednesdays: personal training - strength training (technically 30 minutes, but we usually go 45-50 mins)
    Thursdays: 30-minute lunchtime Pilates (taught by a colleague who is a certified trainer in our conference room!), then a 30-minute Power Abs class after work
    Fridays: two 30-minute M&M classes (combo Barre, Yoga and Pilates) - one in the morning and one in the afternoon (I work from home on Fridays)
    Saturdays: 30 minutes elliptical (home)
    Sundays: sometimes rest, sometimes elliptical, sometimes (real) bike ride.

With all this, you'd think I'd be completely ripped. I'm not (yet) 😕
    "And as cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round;
    If your bottle's empty, help yourself to mine
    Thank you for your time...Here's to life!"
    - Mekong

Right now I am running 4 miles on Tuesday and Thursdays and 7-10 miles on the weekends. I need to get back to strength training on Wed/fri plus cross training on the bike. I may try yoga on Mondays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

You all are impressive. I walk 3-4 times/week for 3-4 miles at a brisk pace. I also do a tennis lesson 1x/week that is intense cardio. I just joined the tennis team and I believe we have practice 2-3 x/week, so that will be good.

I have said I want to lose weight but I haven't actually put the effort in. The good news is that I hover around the same range +/- 3 lbs so I maintain easily with my diet.

I've struggled to find a good rhythm/regular workout schedule. Last week I did:

Monday: walked 45 minutes on my treadmill at home at an incline (I have it set up with a TV/DVR which is awesome!) after kids went to bed
    Tuesday: Off
    Wednesday: walked 30 minutes on the treadmill after kids went to bed
    Thursday - 45 minute spin class
    Friday - 2 hour hike (very steep climb for first hour)
    Saturday - Ran 5k
    Sunday - Off

I need to get weight training in regularly. Right now I go the occasional evening at the community college gym near our house, but it's so easy to just walk on the treadmill at home instead. I'd like to try some of those fitness blender workouts, and get some weights for home.

I second the recommendation for the Fitness Blender videos for weight training. They are "no frills" but I really like them. I try to do videos at home at least 3x per week and then we try to be active as a family: lots of hiking, walk/runs around the neighborhood while the kids ride their bikes, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in the winter, that type of stuff.

So I started the 21 Day fix last week, but then we were camping Fri night- Mon night and I did not follow it at all. I did try to watch portion sizes and I think we probably burned a decent amount of calories because it was COLD at night (down to 36 the one night!) and we were pretty active. We did a cave tour which was almost 200 steps up and down, we rented a bicycle surrey the one day, and we walked a lot down to the beach and on the beach. Anyway, I was down one pound this AM. I'll take it!
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

DH jokes that I should get promotional fees from Fitness Blender

Has anyone tried popilates on youtube? I tried one and got totally thrown off by the loud music and super perky instructor who was whipping through everything. I felt like I just didn't understand the whole premise.

Arghh, ladies. I had a good week last week but this week has been pay-backs! We got back from camping Mon night and then DH left for a business trip Tues AM and just got home tonight. I really should have forced myself to grocery shop Mon night or during the week but I hate grocery shopping with my kids. We didn't have a lot of staples (Greek yogurt, salad greens, etc) and it was just a long week. I took the boys through the Freddy's drive through one night (cheese burgers and fries- my major weakness!) and then tonight we had pizza. And now I am drinking a Harvest Patch Shandy and it's soooo good! Monday I start again for real....
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Up until a year ago, I used to pretty much just run 5 days per week and then do a few crunches or planks. Then I realized that my running wasn't really improving because I was missing out on key strength and flexibility. I still run 5 days a week because I just love to run, but I put in other activities as well. I got a strength training for runners book that has an 8 week series of workouts that don't take more than 20 minutes twice a week. I also got a yoga for runners dvd and a am/pm yoga dvd plus a mat pilates dvd. I also have a friend who is a trainer who will make up a set of workout plans for me for the month for a really low price. Then I just need to follow the plan All of the workouts are 25 minutes or less so I can fit those in on run days if needed. I'm pretty motivated. I just need a program to follow, and I'll do it. So I always write out my schedule for the week every Sunday based on my work and family commitments and then keep to that schedule.
    Example from last week:
    Monday:45 minute run; 20 minute strength for runners
    Tuesday: 60 minute run; am yoga
    Wednesday: 45 minute run; 20 minute strength for runners
    Thursday: pilates
    Friday-rest day
    Saturday-2 hour run; yoga for runners
    Sunday: 30 minute run; strength workout

I also love Orange Theory like another poster said above. It is super popular here. I alternate that with Pure Barre classes, and when the weather finally cools off (not til Halloween, usually, ugh) I'll start back to running outside again as well. I'm hoping to maybe train for a February half marathon this year. About a month ago, running was totally killing me because I was having terrible pain in my hip. I sprung for some new shoes and after a few weeks it's like it was never an issue. Kind of amazing!

I used to love to go to a couple of hard yoga classes a week, but that was years ago when I had more time! Now the only time I can really spare the 2 hours I feel like yoga eats up (travel time to and from studio plus a 90 minute class, give or take a few minutes) is when I travel for work. How ironic. For now I can fit in the 60 minute workout classes either at noon (I WFH most of the time) instead of taking lunch or at 5:30 a.m., which I have gotten surprisingly used to!
    Leo 12/5/08 ...and Ivy 7/26/12

So, as most people here know, I run a fair bit: about 21-25 miles a week, usually in 3-4 sessions. Because of where I live, these runs ALWAYS contain hill work. Additionally, I have short daily dog walks, and DH and I try to get out with the dogs and daughter at least once or twice a weekend for a walk/hike of about 2-3 miles. So, throw in a little yardwork (or at times a lot of yard work), and I think I'm pretty good for cardio. DH has started running as well, so he and I alternate getting in 5.30am runs during the week, with each of us taking a long run individually on Saturday and Sunday.

But what I have done recently, which I think has made a huge difference, and was actually pretty simple to do, just takes self- discipline (ugghhh), was add situps and pushups at night before bed. It only takes about 15 min but is killer for core and arms. Starting in June, I worked up to a routine of 20 military style, full extention, touch the floor with your nose pushups, followed by 100 old school style situps (hands at ears but not pulling at neck, eyes forward at a 45 degree upward gaze), and then 15-20 more pushups. I built up to this by adding 1-2 pushups and 5 situps each night till I reached goal. Then I just maintain that.

I have to say, losing 3-4 more lbs and adding the situps and pushups has really helped. My arms stay fairly toned with just lifting my now 29lb daughter constantly, but the pushups have added a bit more muscle which helps, and the situps really pulled in my abs, especially post c section.

Full disclosure, I did not do the above while on vacation because we were staying in people's houses, and I was too self conscious to do them in front of anyone and I usually do them just before bed, and I didn't want anyone to think DH and I were doing anything wierd! Plus I was really tired from travelling and wanted a break. But during vacation I did get out and run 5 times, totalling about 23-25 miles, plus hiking and tons of walking sightseeing, so I got my workouts in. I start back on the situps and pushups tonight.

My body is far, far from what it was in my 30s, but at age 49, I do think the above has helped me get back into fairly good shape, to the point where DH and I have a noticeable increase in stamina and strength more than our peers. It's like, we're not winning races or anything, but we can do a race, or a 9 hour plane flight, or whay have you, and still get on with the rest of our day, without skipping a beat. At 49 and 50, DH's and my friends are sadly often starting to slow down. We want to be that couple that keeps active and going!
    Last edited by jajacobsen; 09-15-2015 at 12:07 PM.