Quantcast
Page 140 of 140 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140
Results 1,391 to 1,397 of 1397

Thanks for checking in Gator, how is you father?

For me, my father is doing as well as he can, I'm trying to convince him to move back to Boston so that he has more support, but right now he's not willing to consider moving. I'm going to continue to push him on that because I can't keep traveling to FL while working full-time and dealing with my mother's illness.

My mother has been diagnosed with bile duct cancer and due to other serious health conditions she is not a good candidate for surgery or chemo/radiation so right now she's only being treated with pain management. Right now I don't know how long to expect her to last. Thankfully she hasn't been her usual difficult self, she's falling back on her faith and said she's placing it in God's hands.

Oh KAF, that is a lot to deal with all at once. Where in FL is your dad?

My dad is feeling well right now. He is very tired but is tolerating the chemo well otherwise- which is great. He has a bunch of tests at the end of June so we will see if any of the treatment has worked.

Quote Originally Posted by KAF View Post
    Thanks for checking in Gator, how is you father?

For me, my father is doing as well as he can, I'm trying to convince him to move back to Boston so that he has more support, but right now he's not willing to consider moving. I'm going to continue to push him on that because I can't keep traveling to FL while working full-time and dealing with my mother's illness.

My mother has been diagnosed with bile duct cancer and due to other serious health conditions she is not a good candidate for surgery or chemo/radiation so right now she's only being treated with pain management. Right now I don't know how long to expect her to last. Thankfully she hasn't been her usual difficult self, she's falling back on her faith and said she's placing it in God's hands.
    KAF - I am so sorry to hear about your mother - My father had bile duct cancer as well. I had never even heard of it until he was diagnosed. What a very difficult position you are in to deal with 2 sick parents in different locations. My heart goes out to you.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

Thank you Jesseybell. I'm sorry to hear you went through this with your father. I knew someone a few years ago who was diagnosed with bile duct cancer after having hepatitis but it doesn't seem like one that is very common.

At this point we're in a holding pattern until there is a determination if she will tolerate chemo. I'm not sure when or how that will be decided. She's been saying she wants quality over quantity, but if the oncologist offers any hope I think she will attempt chemo. We shall see. Thankfully my father seems to be doing well.

I just saw this KAF. I'm so sorry you're dealing with sick parents. I lost a coworker to bile duct cancer a few years back. She also chose quality over quantity of life and her last 9 months (other than the last couple weeks) she truly did enjoy.
    Keeping you in my thoughts.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

KAF - my dad did not go the surgery route because he would have had to have it 10 days after diagnosis and there was a risk of stroke or death with the surgery, and he wasn't ready to go that quickly. Unfortunately his quality wasn't great. They put in a shunt in the valve and was told it would have to be replaced every six months. He ended up having to have it replaced every 6 weeks (the symptom being a fever which he had to go to the ER for and often stayed there up to 12-18 hours before being admitted). He was part of a study using proton beams through MGH (I forget, are you in MA/New England?). He did end up getting some chemo but very near the end. He lasted 54 weeks from date of diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

Gator, so sorry, I missed your question about where my dad is, he's in Ocala. My dad is doing well, the doctor decided that he wants to hold off on radiation and monitor his lungs for any signs of cancer instead. He's due to have his bone marrow tested in a couple of weeks to determine if he has multiple myeloma. His mood is much more upbeat than it has been for a while and he's feeling optimistic.

Thank you, VASLP, I appreciate your thoughts and hearing about your friend having the opportunity to enjoy herself. Jessey thank you as well. One of the biggest questions in mind has been whole long she may and while I know there's no guarantees, both of your stories are helping me to get an idea.

Jessybell, I'm sorry to hear your father had such a hard time, if I had to guess, I suspect my mother might be in for a similiar experience. She's been complaining a lot about pain and hasn't been eating very much, mostly liquids. She has a plastic stent right now which needs to be changed to a metal stent. The doctor originally said she could wait three months to do that, but I think it will need to be done very soon. I didn't realize that the metal stents needed to be changed, I thought they were permanent.

We are in the Boston area, but I suspect given all of her other health issues she won't be a candidate for any studies.