Quantcast
Page 1 of 140 1231151101 ... LastLast

Default Ailing parents support

I thought I'd create this thread instead of hijacking the confessions thread. So many of us seem to be dealing with parents' health issues, or worse.

So I'm sitting waiting at the hospital for my dad to get his colonoscopy. He told me not to rush here this morning because he was still doing the prep for the test and things weren't pretty. So I got some household stuff done and got here right after he was moved for the test. Shoot.

He had another blood transfusion this morning, so he's had 4 units since last night. I hate not being here for the doctor's rounds and missing out on updates.

His nurse just told me he should be back soon. He also told me his white blood cell count is extremely low so there can be no fresh fruits, veggies or flowers in the room, and there are strict hand washing rules.
    Last edited by semily24; 06-27-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Thank you for updating, semily. I've been thinking about you often and praying for your dad.

Doctor just poked her head in and said he should be back soon. She asked if i would be here for a while. And then said good, she'll be in to talk to us about the results. And she trailed off, saying something about "abnormal things".

Semily, I am just catching up, but I wanted to pop in and send good thoughts.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

Sending you prayers semily.

Semily, I have been thinking about your dad since your original post. A lot of what your dad is experiencing is what my own dad went through. If you ever need to vent or just talk, please don't hesitate to PM me. Your entire family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Aalrighty. No colon cancers. Colon actually looks good overall. Labs show it's likely a bone marrow disorder called myelodysplastic syndrome. The bone marrow isn't producing blood like it should. A hematologist will be in tomorrow to talk to us about it, and they will likely do a bone marrow biopsy on Monday.

His white blood cell count is really low (neutropenia) so he's susceptible to bacterial infections.

Okay then. That news was just sort of dropped like a stone by the doctor, with a big printout, and that was that.

But he is eating a giant lunch right now!
    Last edited by semily24; 06-27-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Good and bad semily! At least they are getting him figured our! I'm so glad you pushed him the get on and I'm assumed he's admitted til they get him figured out?.

Yes, my guess is he's there until at least Tuesday.

We're scheduled to leave on vacation first thing Wednesday morning. I have no idea what will happen with that. I booked a ticket for my dad to fly with us as one option, but I really have zero idea what will happen next. (We're going on vacation near where he lives full-time.).

It feels good that we've ruled out so many things, but there is still so much uncertainty. From what I've been reading this condition can be pretty treatable in some cases, but it also leads to leukemia in 30% of cases. Or he could already be there.