Quantcast
Page 5 of 140 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Oh, I'm so sorry you are dealing with all this stress. I'm still praying for you all.

semily, I'm so sorry you don't have any answers yet. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get some info today.

I know the feeling of not wanting to leave the hospital. I felt like when DH had his back surgery in October, everything was fine when I was there, but when I left it all went to shit and I would walk into chaos when I returned. I'm sorry you are the only one available to shoulder the load. That is the really difficult part.

So sorry semily. Just wishing the best for you and your Dad.

I'm so sorry semily. I have been reading but not posting since I'm just on my phone and we are traveling. I know how hard it is to put your life on hold at a moment's notice, but I agree that you are doing the right thing to be there for your dad. I understand the urgency/lack of urgency thing totally and it sucks and is very frustrating. I'm thinking of you and your dad. I hope things turn around soon and you get some positive news.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

My dad is resting right now... in my guest room! After testing for everything under the sun, they found nothing serious to be causing the vomiting and misery of yesterday. The did the CT scans, an EKG, echo-cardiogram, and a slew of blood tests. All looked fine. Today they had him work his way from clear liquids to solid foods, and when he kept it down released him at 7:30 tonight. However, he is miserable with heartburn pain since eating the solid food. Miserable. I don't know how I feel about him being released. To me, he looks the same as last night. Miserable. Can't keep his eyes open, alternating between sitting and laying down. He says he feels like if he had a big poop or lots of gas he would feel better (sorry for the TMI!). He takes nexium for GERD, which he had this morning. He tried Pepto and it didn't do a thing. They gave him Maalox yesterday when he felt like this, and that didn't help either.

I wish I could just take the pain away. I'm also prone to serious heartburn - so bad I've felt like I might pass out from it. What solved it for me was a colon cleanse and lymphatic system drainage treatments by a lady with lots of crystals hanging in her "office"... I don't dare suggest that right now though.

PS- I keep saying this, but thanks again for the support. It is so amazing to be able to vent here and know you're rooting and praying for us!
    Last edited by semily24; 06-30-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Did he have an endoscopy when he had the colonoscopy? Could he have an ulcer? That wouldn't show on CT scans.

I also have had horrible heartburn from gastritis, and it was miserable. It made me throw up a lot which of course in turn made the gastritis worse. I don't envy your Dad that feeling!

A cleanse is not good for him right now. He needs food and nutrients. Besides, an empty stomach can make heartburn much worse. I did get a bit of relief by drinking plenty of water to dilute the stomach acid.

If he was on any narcotic pain meds at any point, those can make you wicked constipated so hopefully his doc gave him a stool softener if he had narcotics.

I hope he feels better soon! He is so lucky to have you. And so is your brother. When my Dad was sick, I was here and he was in Argentina, and my sister who still loved in Argentina at the time was the one who was there for him, day in and day out. I had the "luxury" of being able to live abroad only because my sister shouldered the burden of caring for our parents. So I'm sure your brother appreciates your dedication just as much as your Dad does.

Hang in there and don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J + A

Thinking of you tonight, I hope he rests well (and you too!) and that tomorrow brings improvement all around.
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

Sky, you know what- he did not have an upper endoscopy. I wonder if an ulcer is the problem. He has been coughing/gagging like crazy all night.

Should I call the hospitalist who has been treating him?

I'm so upset he was released like this.

Semily, I would call if I were in your shoes. It just seems that there has to be something they can do? They have not figure out the low white blood cells, have they, or the low blood. .sorry, I'm not reading back for the correct terms! Did they give you next steps? I would call!

The only next steps that were given were to follow up with the hematologist for the bone marrow biopsy results. That appt is set for next Monday, and will address the cause for the low blood volume.

They said nothing at all about the ongoing stomach pain and cough, they just brushed it off. So.Frustrating. The doctor did say he should do a sleep study when he gets home because she thinks he has sleep apnea. But he hasn't slept the last three nights and is a wreck! Friday night he was up all night with colonscopy prep, Saturday night he slept after they gave him cough medicine with codeine, and Sunday-Tuesday nights he was up with varying forms and degrees of this burning pain and coughing. I mentioned the possibility of an ulcer and he got super mad at me. He asked me to go get him anything that might help him fall asleep.

Although he does appear to be still now - maybe he finally settled.

I drove my husband and kids to the airport super early this morning, so they're off. I so desperately want to be with them. And I feel badly for it. I just keep thinking about how precious family time is while they're little. They're 4 and 5 and it's such an amazing time. Gah. I should go sleep. I only got an hour or so last night - I could hear my dad suffering with the cough and my mind was just racing.