Quantcast
Page 4 of 140 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Hugs and prayers to you and your dad, semily.

Sky, all I know is they used a thick IV contrast and that they scanned the chest and the abdomen. A nurse let me read the prelim report which said no signs of PE.

Girls, this whole hospital thing ROTS. Around 5:00 things were in a panic, with the doctor ordering the a STAT CT and her telling us they were worried it could be a clot. Or pancreatitis. Test gets done by 6, and the person in radiology said we would have some information within an hour. In the meantime my dad is dry heaving and vomiting mucuos, with stomach pain, and can barely move and can't open his eyes. We buzz the nurse/aide each time to let them know. At 7 it was so constant I asked them to page the doctor. At around 7:45 I saw a shift change starting. And my dad said he was feeling weird. I went to the nurses station and said we needed help. It was all sorts of confusion, and the Dr that had been treating him all day had gone home. The urgency of 5:00 had gone with her. The new nurse was like, oh, what's wrong, he's feeling sick to his stomach? AHHHHHHH. i just wanted to scream that a few hours ago they thought he was about to CROAK!

The charge nurse came in though, and she got the new on-call doctor on the phone and read through my dad's chart. Again, I felt like the urgency wasn't being conveyed, but at least information was moving. And that was when she showed me the prelim report that said it didn't look like there were clots. It's almost 9 now, and he seems to be a bit better. They gave him an anti-nausea med (Fen-something. Zofran earlier didn't help).

I don't know what to think or do. The day doctor said he would likely move to critical care, but that seems off the table now. I feel like I need to sit here and watch him. But I also want to get the F*ck out of here. I've been in this tiny room for 11 hours. But why is he so sick?? Is anyone trying to figure it out?? Anti-nausea meds are great, but what the hell is going on? Is it a stomach bug? Or what??

Yesterday when he was back to himself the plan was for me to go on vacation while he stayed here, relaxing in his new house and getting checked on by my friends and colleagues. Tomorrow I was supposed to have both kids home with me, packing. (YDS's preschool is closed this week, and ODS was going to stay home from camp) We were going to drive the hour to the airport in the evening and stay at a hotel before our early Wednesday flight.

Obviously that plan is out the window now. My DH has been AMAZING since Friday taking over everything at home, and super supportive, which does not come naturally! But I know he's stressed beyond too. And at least he and the kids need to go on the trip - we're meeting his parents, who we see just a couple times a year. What the hell am I going to do about tomorrow. I need to be here at the hospital. I need to hear what the doctors are saying, and you never freaking know when they're going to pop in. And I need to be at home.

Semily - you're doing the right thing. You need to be at the hospital with your dad. He's in the right place. You've done everything you can and you totally did the right thing getting him into the hospital so quickly.

I agree with PineTree. You're doing the right thing. Right now your dad needs you there. Your DH will cover the Homefront. That's not to say you shouldn't take a break for yourself though. Caregiver burn out is very real and can happen much faster than people think due to stress. Allow yourself to walk away for a couple hours. After you see the MD and mid shift is usually best in terms of timing. You can leave your number with the nurse to call you if the hospitalist or consultants come by while you're out.
    Big hugs to you. You're doing great.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

Pine Tree is right; you are doing the right thing. It sounds like your husband is really stepping up to the plate, so I'm sure he can handle vacation packing. Maybe it would make his job easier if you made him a list.

Continued prayers for your dad. I hope you guys get some definitive answers soon.

Thinking of you Semily! I *know* how hard it can be stuck in a tiny room for hours in end, waiting endlessly for the doctors to come. It is agonizing, especially when they don't have the same sense of urgency as you do. Your post brought back a lot of feelings from when DS was in the hospital.

However, you are doing the right thing and your DH should go on vacation with your boys; I'm sorry you are missing out on it though. Please do take breaks, you are no good to your dad if you are exhausted and burned out. It's hard to leave, I know, but you have to take care of yourself too. Big hugs and hoping you get more concrete information in the days to come.
    K&K 10.5.02
    E 3.8.05
    M 6.24.09

(((Hugs))) semily. I hope it was a better night and you get some answers today. (((Hugs)))
    Robyn & Scott - August 29, 2004
    * SM - July 17, 2007 *
    * BH - APRIL 14, 2010 *

Semily-((HUGS)) I'm so sorry. I agree that right now you need to be at the hospital and let your dh handle the kids and vacation. I know it sucks. I also know the feeling of having aging parents (my own and in-laws) in the hospital and dealing with the changes in urgency and lack of info/concrete diagnosis. It's super frustrating and you feel so helpless sometimes.

I hope you are able to get some answers soon and are able to get some breaks.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Thanks so much, girls. I'm home this morning with the kids getting them ready for the trip, and I'm heading to the hospital a little later. My husband and the boys will leave this evening as planned, and I'll get a flight and join them when/if things calm down here.

He did better overnight, but is still not in good shape. He is going to dial me in on his cell phone when a doctor comes around.

I am glad that he did better overnight and you got to be home with the kids this morning.
    Married 8.5.2001
    DS 6.8.2005 DD 10.3.2007 DD 4.22.2011