Quantcast
Page 129 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1397

Thanks. I have a long standing issue with my mom and photos. She has been sending me albums that I don't want for a few years (I haven't said anything to her) and on one visit she pulled one out and was pointing out everything negative about ppl in them in front of the girls. But, I did just find a bunch of recent photos to print and take down.

And, mcg. good idea. Thanks! I found a recommended heated massager that she can use for her back. And, I went ahead and got a blanket anyway. It's super soft on one side and fleece on the other.

I know just being there is the most important. I will try to go down every week if I can work out coverage for the girls, which I'm sure I can. My cousin is going down in a week or two as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomwood View Post
    likewise, you and your aunt

Thank you. If you have any questions about hospice that I can help you with, please pm me. My Mom and Grandma were on hospice care.

If I were you I would give your Mom all of the books. That way she can choose which one to read maybe all of them at once if she reads that way. And I would give her the blanket too. My Aunt loves hers and uses it all of the time. Even though it is 80 in the house year round.

I see that you got a massager for your Mom. If that doesn't work out see if you can get her one of those rice filled bags, you microwave them for a few seconds and they are great. Again my Aunt has one and uses it constantly.
    Last edited by ladyco4; 03-19-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Bloom, my MIL died of lung cancer after 50 years of being a non smoker. She only smoked for a few years. We had a very similar timeline,and in fact she found out in March. I'm so sorry. I'd suggest nice pajamas, soft, or satin ones that are loose. The open front buttons make it easier for dressing and for the tubes-for oxygen or catheter. My other suggestion for something down the road is a purse/bag to put the urine bag in. My MIL was very proper and terribly embarrassed that anyone might see a bag of her urine. So I bought her some purses that she could use.
    For now stuff, I think your ideas are good, but I'd add in audiobooks. Sometimes the effort to read and keep eyes open was too much, but listening isn't.
    Thinking of you.
    Last edited by bug; 03-19-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Bloom, again, I am so sorry I think you have a great list of things to bring to her. The only other thing I can think of are maybe some of the soft/cozy socks with rubber on the bottom (no slipping) and maybe some nice hand cream. I know she can't have any open flames but how is she with scents in general? What about some lavender essential oil for soothing/calming?
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Stevie, I like your idea of lavender essential oils.

ugh!!! Sorry to vent but seriously. I called the palliative doctor to find out what time we can meet tomorrow and if that will be the start of the process for discharging my mom. He said they need to get the bed delivered and that can start now if they have a place in the home for it. Meanwhile, when I talked to my dad earlier, he said that my mom wasn't sure that's what she wanted. I just called him back and reamed him and told him I'm here, he's there and he needs to help out. I told him to get the room ready and when he goes to the hospital tonight, he needs to ask about getting the bed delivered and starting the process. I said none of us want this but it's what is happening and we need to do what we can to make sure mom gets the adequate care and is comfortable when she gets home. I said it doesn't matter if mom never steps foot in the bed, they need to have it there to discharge her (no idea if that's actually true but the dr keeps talking about the bed, so I think it is).

Hi Bloom, Sorry about your mom. My mom was seemingly healthy, but one day felt a pain. She thought she had a kidney infection. Went to the doctor and was diagnosed with cancer. She was given 6 months to live and died in 4 at home with hospice.

She tried chemo, but it didn't last long. When she was doing that she said that fruit was the only thing that she could tolerate. I'm not sure what your mom is/isn't doing, but I can recommend fresh fruit and fruit smoothies. The hospice bed went in the front living room of my parents house. I didn't live at home, so I am not sure of the reasoning why. That room never had a tv in it. It was where we would go to read, do homework, sit quietly, talk on the phone, receive formal guests. The front door was there (we and our friends and family always came in the back door) and it a big picture window.

It worked out well because there were couches, chairs, and a piano bench in there. People were coming in to visit her and they would use the front door, there was plenty of seating for visitors and room for hospice workers to move about. The window was nice to look out of sometimes.

Someone we knew knew someone who provided massage services to cancer patients and was going to set something up for mom. She was really excited about that, although it didn't end up happening. We lit scented candles to perfume the air for her. I know you said you can't do that, but something scented might be nice for her. Basically, as others have said think about the things that might provide a nice sensory experience for her. What would she like to taste, touch/feel, smell, hear, see?

Also, through being put on prayer group list and others hearing about her, she ended up getting sent a bunch of cards from lots of people, many of whom we'd never met or really known about before. Those cards meant a lot to her. She kept them in a basket by her side at all times and read them over and over whenever she could.

Bloom, I've been thinking of you a lot.

As far as something else to bring your Mom, how about a really nice, silky, great smelling hand cream/body lotion? Maybe use it to give hand or foot massages?

If she has an ipad or other tablet, a subscription to the Texture app may help distract her. It has a gazillion magazines all available within the app, including past issues, so if you're worried about her finishing a book, the lighter and faster reading fare could be helpful.

Sending hugs your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J + A

Bloom: my FIL had emphysema and later developed lung cancer. They did a bit of chemo, but it work for him. He choose in-home hospice care, the bed went in the family room of their condo. My FIL did a lot of word puzzles and watched a lot of movies. We also stocked up on CDs of music he really enjoyed and grew up with. I think that was something he really enjoyed. Even at the very end when he was mostly unconscious, we had the music playing. I'm so sorry

twylla: we have a small step stool in my parent's car to help my dad get in and out. He hates using it though. We also got this car handle assist thing which both my parents will use (my mom had bad arthritis)
    https://www.ramadeals.com/products/p...cf8aAi_a8P8HAQ
    Loving my DDs and DS

Sea, thank you so much for that link!!! I'm going to order one as soon as I can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Married 7.3.04 Henry 10.29.08 Charlie 11.19.11