Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glasses

Default Glasses

My youngest will put my glasses on from time to time and sit & watch TV. I've asked him if they help him see and he's said yes and so I ask him from time to time if he can see something ok or I'll ask if things are blury. He usually consistantly tells me that things are blury. I have an appointment scheduled for him with the pediatrician in a couple weeks, so will ask there, but am curious what vision glasses are recommended for. I pulled his health evaluation out from his last well visit and his vision is 20/30 in one eye and 20/40 in the other. With our oldest they had us wait until he was in 2nd or maybe even 3rd grade for his vision to kid of settle, but is that the general rule?

I know for me, my mom took me to get glasses when the teacher noticed I couldn't see the blackboard. I was sitting in the front row and was squinting a lot and turning around to copy the notes from the person behind me. I don't know what my vision was though. I was in 2nd grade. Can you just take him to an optometrist? The pediatrician is not going to have the right equipment to check his eyes.

I do have 2 friends with kids who both got glasses at age 5.

My DDS got her glasses right shortly after she turned 4. Her vision was terrible (20/40 and 20/100 or something like that). DS was tested at the same time, so at 2 1/2, because the issue is genetic. He had 20/100 IIRC. Both had glasses. DDs corrected by 8 to 20/30 in both eyes and is glasses free. DS is 20/40ish and should wear his but he refuses to.

DS2 failed two vision screenings at school with the nurse in K and we got a letter sent home.

For DS1, his is not a vision issue-more of a muscle thing. It was caught by his OT in K.

DD failed the vision screening at the ped, but her eye doctor said she was fine. I would definitely go to the eye doctor - they'll know for sure what he needs.

My DD just got glasses at age 9. She had been complaining that the electronic white board at school was hard to see and also that reading made her tired. We'd been told to wait as well, but when we finally went to the optometrist, she found my DD has light astigmatism. DD now wears the glasses mostly for electronics, reading, and schoolwork, but also sometimes just outside. She says they help a lot.
    Wife: August, 2002 ~ LJ ~ Mother: May, 2005

My kids got put into glasses full time over the summer (before that DS was supposed to wear them for far things, but rarely did). As we are coming up on soccer season (and I just paid to replace DS's glasses that got broken over the weekend), I'd like to get them some sport goggles. My eye doctor place has quoted me $250 for frames and lenses. I can get them at Lenscrafters for $150 (and have them before soccer starts next week). But I was wondering if there was any place else, maybe online, that I should check. I plan on stopping by Target today to see what they have. And if I have to, I'll look at Walmart.

We got ds sport goggles at target and they were around 150.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Married 8.5.2001
    DS 6.8.2005 DD 10.3.2007 DD 4.22.2011

We love Target Optical! They have all the name brands. DS2 is now wearing Oakley glasses because they fit his head better (he has to wear men's glasses!). I wanted to get him a pair of sports goggles, too. He is eligible for a free pair in Jan through our insurance, so we are waiting until then.