Quantcast
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

We go to a pediatric dentist, too. They have a climbing structure in their waiting room. My younger son asks to go to the dentist.

My older son had to have three non-loose teeth pulled, and they gave him gas and local anesthesia, and let him watch a movie. (They don't do movies for regular check-ups, just procedures. They do have Mr. Thirsty and prizes though!) He loved it; I think he thought of it as an adventure! But my kids have never been scared of the dentist. (Maybe not always cooperative - but not scared.)
    I'm surrounded by boys!
    DH 6/29/02 ~ DS1 3/2/06 ~ DS2 10/15/09

Default Dental issues/questions

Oh wow a climbing structure! That's even better than video games. I think because Dr. F has TV commercials DS thinks he is a celebrity, which adds to the allure.

I wonder how many extra customers they get because of accidents on their climbing structure...haha! That sounds awesome, though!
    Married: April 20, 2002
    DD: January 25, 2008

My head exploded a little bit thinking about the liability of a climbing structure in the waiting room...

Quote Originally Posted by mcgwigan View Post
    My head exploded a little bit thinking about the liability of a climbing structure in the waiting room...
    Yep, I wonder if their liability insurance company knows about that.

We've been to two pediatric dentists. We moved dentists when we moved suburbs. The first one had games, toys, huge cute murals on the wall, stickers, prizes etc etc and two of my kids were always frightened to go there. The second one is slightly less brightly decorated but they have TV screens playing movies on the ceiling and video games in the waiting room. My kids have never been frightened there. In fact, they beg to go. I actually think it had more to do with the dentist. The first dentist was an older gentleman who was a little gruff (though perfectly nice), the second dentist is young, female and the mom of one of my ODD's classmates.

It's not like an outdoor type of climbing structure! It's got carpeted steps and a carpeted ramp (that my son likes to "slide" down), and then an upstairs "room" where you can look down on the waiting room - completely closed in. Although injuries could happen, it's not very likely. The stairs in my house are more dangerous.
    I'm surrounded by boys!
    DH 6/29/02 ~ DS1 3/2/06 ~ DS2 10/15/09

DD isn't afraid of the dentist, she likes our dentist a lot. She's a Mom, has her own practice...just her, the 3 hygenists and a receptionist, has a son DD's age and is GREAT with her. Our cleanings so far have gone great. I took DD to a pediatric dentist office for her first visit and I did not like the dentist at all, he had no raport with DD and was kind of cold, not to mention kind of lame prizes (tiny erasers or plastic animals/dinosaurs). Our dentist has really good prizes in her "treasure chest". I commented on them and she laughed and said "yeah, I have a little too much fun at the Target dollar spot." So, the dentist is not our problem at all. DD would be freaking out about ANY dentist since it's the pain of taking out the actual tooth that's the problem. Otherwise she would let me do it at home or do it herself.

I think not talking about it or making a big deal about it is a good idea, but if I take her to the dentist unannounced DD will lose her shit. So, I'll call the dentist tomorrow and talk to her about it. Having her own practice is nice because it's easy to get in touch with her and she will take the time to talk to you on the phone without an appointment. I know she will have someone to refer me to if she thinks it's necessary. DD is due for her cleaning so luckily it won't be an extra appointment charge.

I didn't mean the tooth had reattached or anything, I was kind of being flippant about it. It's just covered in plaque/goo because she is so scared to touch it, she brushes around it so it looks like it's "cemented" in there. It's gross.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement. -From a bumper sticker I saw once

I can't imagine that it's healthy to have that where there's an opening in the gums. You don't have to not tell her she's going to the dentist, just let her know you're taking her for the cleaning and not mention the possibility of the tooth needing to be pulled. Just out of curiosity, has she lost other teeth or is this the first one?

She's nearly 8 so this is definitely not the first tooth to come out. They have all eventually come out on their own (pulled out by her, or knocked out while playing/eating) but this one has been different. She is scared now because the last tooth she lost wasn't very loose but she kneed herself in the mouth at the bouncy house place and it was bleeding and really hurt. It was pretty traumatic, and I know it hurt when I pulled it out. So now she's terrified every loose tooth will hurt like that. She has anxiety anyway so it's gone beyond reasoning to outright fear/phobia. Otherwise I'd just do it at home but I would have to hold her down and force it which I don't want to do.

I'm going to call the dentist tomorrow, they are out of the office today.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement. -From a bumper sticker I saw once