Quantcast
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Dental issues/questions

I thought I'd make a new thread since I didn't find anything in my search.

DS1 is 6 and has 3 of his 6 year old molars in -the 2 uppers and the lower left. I noticed last week when I was helping him brush that the lower molar has quite a deep groove on the outside of it and it is brown. I've made an appointment to have the Dentist look at it -of course, as luck would have it they have an appointment tomorrow, but he's got a tummy bug right now, so we scheduled for next week.

Has anyone experienced this? My mom is a dental hygentist and feels that it probably did not develop properly. I'm hoping that they will just fill it, because it is such a deep groove that there is no way he is going to be able to keep it clean!

Default Dental issues/questions

First, I hope you DS is feeling better soon.

I hope it is nothing MCG too. DS has hypo mineralization (name?) aka low enamel/soft teeth. One of the characteristics is discolorization. He is crazy prone to cavities now. Definitely have it checked out. I wish our old dentist had caught DSs issues sooner he has had some significant dental work before 1st grade!
    Last edited by kindermom; 01-19-2015 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks kindermom! I'm just glad that I noticed it now rather than finding out at his 6 month appointment in April. I've been also taking him to an orthodontist to keep an eye on how things are growing in because we are definately going to be having to do orthodontics for him and I'd like them to start as early as possible. I was wondering why the orthodontist didn't notice, but then come to think of it we were there early in December so I don't think the tooth was through all the way yet -so that at least makes me feel better!

Do you have your son use a flouride rinse? It can really help a lot!

We don't use Florida rinses but we do use regular toothpaste and the kids drink a lot of fluoridated water. We are also much stricter about flossing now that we know and try to avoid gummy things the majority of the time.

I just went back and reread your post. DS's issues became more pronounced with his 6 year molars, which he got late.

Our game plan is to get sealants on all permanent teeth as they come in. Right now he only has 1 or 2 teeth fully in. I suspect at his next appointment in a few months he will get a few teeth done.

Yes, I am definately insising on sealants! The top 2 were not quite all the way through at last visit and they told me that they wait until all 4 are fully in to do sealants, but I am going to insist that they seal what they can as they can & if the insurance won't pay for it to be done that way, I'll just have to suck up and pay out of pocket for that -I figure it will be worth it in the log run.

Just though I'd update: he had his appointment and the dentist reshaped the molar with the groove, basically filing it and they did seal the molars that were all the way through.

I was also having a dental question and so I will post here. DD has a loose tooth that just is NOT coming out, and because of a traumatic loss of her last loose (knocked out when it wasn't very loose, had to pull it out, blood and pain) and because of her fear which has gone from anxiety to phobia levels she will not brush it, or let me brush it (or around it) and it's just a pile of goo now. It was loose at her last dental cleaning, and the dentist said it if was still there she would take it out at this visit which is coming up. DD is terrified, and I feel that unless she is sedated in some way the dentist won't even be able to do the cleaning let alone take the tooth out (which is seriously barely in there). Any experience with a dentist-phobic kid? We've never used any anti-anxiety meds, and I don't know if insurance would cover sedation. Ugh, I hate this. I kept hoping it would just come out somehow but it's been 6 months and it's kind of cemented itself back in I am worried about her permanent tooth that is already in behind the loose one, it's going to get a cavity if we don't get this taken care of, if it hasn't already.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement. -From a bumper sticker I saw once

I don't have experience with a dentist phobic kid but I do have experience with the kind of tooth issue you describe. DS had one like it too where the new tooth was already growing in but the old one wouldn't come out. The dentist pulled it. I wasn't there at the appointment and I just asked both DS and DH how it was done and neither remembers. I pay the bills and there wasn't a charge for laughing gas or any sedation so that and the fact that neither remembers makes me think it was no big deal at all. I know that doesn't help with the fear but if you can get her to let the dentist look at it it will probably be quick and painless.

DD has had 4 teeth pulled due to new ones coming in and not enough room. The dentist has done them at 4 different visits. She has had laughing gas each time. I would call the dentist, they deal with this stuff all the time. A pediatric dentist would probably be best as they're used to dealing with kids.

According to DD the initial freezing of the area was terrible, even with the laughing gas, but then the actual pulling was nothing. The recovery was pretty quick - maybe an hour or so.

We had to switch to a pediatric dentist because the boys were both terrified to even get their teeth cleaned. They would put their hands up and block their mouths. So, now we go to a place where the kids get to pick out a movie to watch while they have their cleanings. It is awesome. I don't even have to be in the room anymore!