Quantcast
Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Default What's Everyone Reading: 2015

What are you reading?

Georgiana by Amanda Foreman
    Joshua Daniel~ 3/4/08 at 19w4d with us for 68 minutes, forever in our hearts , Michael Aaron- our rainbow baby arrived 5/15/09
    Jacob Ryan- our second rainbow 2/11/12

Last week I read Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda. It was pretty good. I wished the ending was different.

Now I am reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown, i read the Da Vinci Code a hundred years ago, but have never read any of his others. I am trying to whittle down my physical to read pile in the house, so starting here.

Next I have You by Caroline Kepnes from the library.

I am reading The Possibilities by Kaui Hart Hemmings, and liking it a lot so far. I have about 50 pages to go until the end.
    "And as cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round;
    If your bottle's empty, help yourself to mine
    Thank you for your time...Here's to life!"
    - Mekong

Recent reads:

Yes, Please by Amy Poehler - It has its moments, but overall I thought it lacked cohesion. It was funny in a few places, touching in a few places, and then there were chapters that didn't quite come together. The audiobook was the way to go with this one, since Poehler narrates it and brings in friends and family members for some impromptu back-and-forth that I don't think is featured in the paper version of the book.

Coming Clean by Kimberly Rae Miller- Memoir written by a woman who was raised by extreme hoarders. She still loves and is close with her parents, although the affects on her mental health are not insignificant. An interesting and fairly well-written look into the life of someone whose beloved family members are mentally ill.

Last Night at the Viper Room: River Phoenix and the Hollywood He Left Behind by Gavin Edwards - I picked it up mainly for the Hollywood-in-the-early-90s stories, but the stuff about River Phoenix is pretty darn compelling. It makes you angry at a lot of people who could have helped him but chose not to. Also, if you ever had a moment where you thought you weren't an awesome parent, just read this book and you'll feel like the best parent ever by comparison.

I finished The Possibilities and rated it 3-stars on Goodreads. I enjoyed this novel about a woman coming to terms with the loss of her young adult son, and the unexpected possibilities that life can hold. Well-written and an easy read, I gave this book a solid 3 stars. While the subject matter was pure tragedy, the book avoided being a dark read, due to the skill of the author.

I am now reading We Are Not Ourselves, a family saga about Irish immigrants in Woodside, Queens. Since I grew up in that general area, I am finding it really enjoyable. Early impressions (I am about 65 pages in) feel like I am reading one of the "best of 2015" books.
    - Mekong

Sin, I got that book free from Netgalley last year and haven't read it yet. Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

Leslie, I will do a full review after I've finished.
    - Mekong

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nombre View Post
    I am now reading We Are Not Ourselves, a family saga about Irish immigrants in Woodside, Queens. Since I grew up in that general area, I am finding it really enjoyable. Early impressions (I am about 65 pages in) feel like I am reading one of the "best of 2015" books.
    Dying to read this!

Just finished Still Alice and now I'm dying to see the film. It was beautiful and heartbreaking and very frightening all at once - it really makes you think about who will care for you if illness strikes, and very gently tackles some tough concepts like planned suicide and what truly defines us as individuals. Definitely one to keep the tissues handy for.

Right before that I read Paris Letters by Janice MacLeod - a very fun and inspiring read that made me want to simplify my life and go on an adventure!