Quantcast

Default Your Favorite Books of 2014

It's that time again! Let's list our favorite books of the year.

They don't have to be books published during 2014, just the best books you read in the last year. Fiction, nonfiction, whatever. Also, tell us why you loved them.

Previous Years:
    CC Favorite Books of 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

I can't wait to hear what your favorites were this year!

Unquestionably, my favorite book of 2014 was Shotgun Lovesongs by Nickolas Butler. It was a gorgeously written study of abiding friendship in a small town. It hit every note, pitch-perfect.

I also loved The Obituary Writer, by Ann Hood. Unputdownable, for those who love family sagas and character-driven novels.

Also notable was Cutting Teeth, by Julia Fierro. Struggles and secrets framed in urban hipster mommy culture made for a great read. I liked it much more than the similarly-themed Big Little Lies, though I did enjoy that as well.

Finally, I found The Wives of Los Alamos by TaraShea Nesbit extremely well-realized, and surprisingly, I very much enjoyed the use of the controversial "collective voice".

ETA: I almost forgot about The Engagements, by J. Courtney Sullivan. Great read about the woman who spearheaded the De Beers "A Diamond is Forever" campaign.
    Last edited by Sin Nombre; 12-29-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    "And as cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round;
    If your bottle's empty, help yourself to mine
    Thank you for your time...Here's to life!"
    - Mekong

Let's see... I'm only going to list the 5 star books.

I reread This is Where I Leave You and Gone Girl and loved them just as much as I did the first time. This is Where I Leave You is just so damn funny. It brings all the feels. And I love the twistiness of Gone Girl.

Orphan Train
    Ugh, I didn't write a review, so I can't recall what I loved about it. The history and I guess the story of triumph. Just a great book.

Necessary Lies
    I didn't write a review for this one, either. Dammit. This one was also based on events that really happened and I loved the history of that. I also really loved the strong main character.

I only rated 2 books as 5 stars this year on Goodreads: Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks and Sunrise by Mike Mullin (the final book in the Ashfall trilogy). I had a few other 4 stars though.

We talked about Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend in the What are You Reading Thread.

However, I cannot recommend enough the Ashfall series. It is YA, but it reads older than that. It is by far the best of the dystopian/apocalypse YA trilogies I have read. The third book was just great. After reading so many disappointing final books of a trilogy, it was so refreshing to read one that was not only not disappointing, but actually surpassed the prior two books.

I read some good books this year but my very favorite was Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel which I just finished a couple of days ago. I guess it does qualify as dystopian/postapocalyptic (not usually my thing) but it's not YA and it's really beautiful.

I also liked Astonish Me, Americanah, The Lowland, Big Little Lies, All the Light We Cannot See, The Golem and the Jinni, and Let the Great World Spin (that would probably be my second favorite book this year). So many books, so little time! I didn't get to half of what I wanted to this year.
    Leo 12/5/08 ...and Ivy 7/26/12

My favorites for 2014:

1. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
    2. The Book of Unknown Americans by Christina Henriquez
    3. The Sound of Things Falling by Juan Gabriel Vásquez

Honarable mention: The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan and The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert.

Favorite nonfiction: Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune by Bill Dedman, The Best American Travel Writing 2013 edited by Elizabeth Gilbert.

Favorite fun reads: The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion and The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zavin.