Quantcast
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Honestly, I can not imagine giving my child a functioning smart phone. I am wary of even the iPod she has and have put all sorts of controls on it. I can see buying the kids a stripped down phone with just calling capabilities, not even texting.

I like texting because I think it's a quick and easy way to check in. And I can easily see a text even if I'm in a meeting, whereas if I saw there was a voicemail I would be more likely to panic I also like that if DD was in a sticky situation with a friend or something, she can discreetly text where as calling is too obvious. I might be overthinking it though, as is my tendency!

PineTree - Those are interesting points on the PRO side for having texting.

Thankfully, my kids have not asked about a phone yet. I don't think any of their classmates have them yet either (3rd & 1st grade).

I know it's easy for me to say now, but at this point, I see no need for a phone for them. I'm sure things will change as they get older and have more freedom (I'll likely want to be able to get in touch with them if they are out with friends and such), but for now, the answer is "No" and I really have no idea when (if ever) it will be "Yes."

If we do end up getting them phones when they are older, it will just be a very basic phone- I don't even want them to have texting capabilities. While I do like that texting is quick and easy (and can be inconspicuous), I'd rather hear their voice so that I truly know everything is okay (i.e. is it really my child on the other end of the phone, etc. I'm sure I am overthinking here too!)

Again, I realize my tune may change as they get older but for now, we are a "no phone for kids" family.
    Last edited by steviem; 09-29-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Interesting conversation. I was just going through a basket of crap on one of our side table drawers and came across my old Sony Ericsson slider phone (the one I had before the iPhone 4 came out) and was wondering what to do with it. It is perfectly functional and I had kept it as a back up if my iPhone got lost/stolen/broken so I could activate it until I got a new phone. Now I have a new phone, and I use my old iPhone as an iPod in the car. DD is 7 and as far as I know no one she knows has a cell phone so it's not even on my radar yet (or hers). All she wants right now is an X-Box so she can play Minecraft until her eyes fall out. My experience is pretty much the same as Larslobster in that DD has no interest in talking on the phone or texting (she doesn't even know how) and when she talks to Grandma or her one friend that calls (who is nearly 9 so more experienced with phones) I have to sit there and help her actually TALK. I have wondered if I got her one of those bluetooth old style handsets if it would be easier for her to talk on the phone because I think the lighted screen distracts her and she isn't focused on the conversation.

I think I'll keep the old slider phone around for DD to use in a few years, provided we are still on AT&T (only one that works down here). My cousins DD is going to be 10 in October and she has a cell phone, a pay as you go basic smart phone, but her Mom definitely keeps a close eye on it. Her DD has to give it up when she gets home from work. The reason she has one this young is that they do not have a land line and her DD is home alone for an hour before Mom gets home after school. She checks the text/data minutes every night to make sure it's not getting out of control.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement. -From a bumper sticker I saw once

My experience is pretty much the same as Larslobster in that DD has no interest in talking on the phone or texting (she doesn't even know how) and when she talks to Grandma or her one friend that calls (who is nearly 9 so more experienced with phones) I have to sit there and help her actually TALK.
    YES! I didn't see this in Lars' post earlier but yes, yes, yes! My kids have absolutely no idea how to talk on the phone. Whenever my mom calls, I put the phone on speaker and they talk. Now that they are older, I have tried showing them how to talk on the phone without the speaker being on and they just.do.not.get.it. They hold the phone away from them and talk and I have to keep showing them how to hold it to their ear.... it's nuts! Oh, and so far, they also have zero interest in texting (nor would they even have a clue how to do it.)
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Quote Originally Posted by steviem View Post
    YES! I didn't see this in Lars' post earlier but yes, yes, yes! My kids have absolutely no idea how to talk on the phone. Whenever my mom calls, I put the phone on speaker and they talk. Now that they are older, I have tried showing them how to talk on the phone without the speaker being on and they just.do.not.get.it. They hold the phone away from them and talk and I have to keep showing them how to hold it to their ear.... it's nuts! Oh, and so far, they also have zero interest in texting (nor would they even have a clue how to do it.)

LOL. My son is like this too. I'll get him a phone when he's ready for a phone. Right now, he's not ready.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

OMG, I thought it was just my kids! They will hold the one horizontally from their ears or a foot away. Drives me insane.

I've always said they'll get a phone when they're old enough for a job to pay for it. Heck, I don't even have a smartphone! Mine is prepaid. I use it so infrequently it doesn't make sense to have a $$ monthly plan.

I see going the same route with the kids. A cheap prepaid non-smart phone. Good for emergencies or checking in.

Yeah we do facetime with Grandma because it is more like an actual conversation and DD will talk to her much more animatedly that way, and she can show her art and stuff.

I know it also depends on the kid. Her friend that is 8 uses her Mom's phone all the time (which is a source of contention their house) and if I want to ask her Mom about something like a playdate, or meeting at the pool I always call her and don't text. I do this because one afternoon I texted to her that we were going to the pool and if they wanted to meet us there, but they were doing something in another town and couldn't come. Well, her DD was using her phone and saw the text and threw a huge fit when her Mom told her no, they couldn't go swimming. She has emotional issues as it is and to minimize that hassle for my friend I just don't text anything I don't want her DD seeing. Her DD will also try to text my DD and sent like 10 random texts (and we have a limit) asking DD things of if she can talk to DD. I finally told her myself not to do that because it was putting us over our limit and DD doesn't see my phone or texts anyway. Luckily she stopped.

I did let DD use my iPhone quite a bit to play games and stuff when I had it, but when I got my new Galaxy Note 3 I made it VERY clear that it was Mom's phone and unless she wanted to play a game that I also play, it was not going to be cluttered up with all of her Pet Shop and Dragon Island crap. If she wants to play that stuff she can use the old iPhone (which we now all the iPod) that I keep in the car.

I have an old iPod Nano, I believe it is the last gen before the touch screens came around so it has the click wheel but a color screen, that we use in her room to play audio books as she falls asleep and if she showed even a little bit of interest in music I would allow her to have it as her own iPod to use whenever she wanted, but she is not a music listener and has no interest in it.
    Last edited by TracyDP; 09-29-2014 at 01:22 PM.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement. -From a bumper sticker I saw once