Quantcast
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default When will you get your child(ten) a cell phone?

I was really surprised to find out that one of the 7 year old girls in DD's dance class just got a cell phone. I can't imagine getting DD a phone right now. Have you thought about it? When will you get one for your kids????

Default When will you get your child(ten) a cell phone?

13 seems to be the age here. I don't know what we will do. DS1 is not the most focused or responsible kid, and I have a hard enough time managing screen time now as it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

both older girls (8 and 5) ask when they can get a cell phone. I tell them when they get a job and pay for it themselves.

In all seriousness though, they don't need one. I am home with them in the morning and take them to the bus. I have an almost 2 year old, so by time she's 5, ODD will be 11. And I won't be letting her get on the bus by herself for quite some time. Ultimately, I'll be home with the girls in the morning until they get to school.

DH is home during the day - although that may change once YDD is in school full time. He is home when they get off the bus. He/I know their pick up schedules. If anything changes there's usually a parent around who has a phone and will call us. The girls know they MUST come home from the bus, do their homework and then can play, so there would be no reason to call us and change this plan.

they do both have iPads, so they aren't completely disconnected. Not that I worry about that. But, they have their own devices. they aren't allowed to keep them in their rooms; the iPads need to remain in the living room area so we can see what they are doing.

But phones, nah. Not until they want the responsibility to take care of it and pay for it. Because I know kids can rack up HUGE bills very easily and mom and dad are stuck paying for it. But, then again, if they buy their own phones we don't have any control over them (although I will. But, realistically if I'm not paying for it .... you know that whole teenager argument)
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

DD (8) is already asking for one, but no one she knows has one. Right now my thinking would be 12-13 ---a lot of it will have to do with what we end up with after school - 6th grade starts middle school and they get out at 1:40, home by 1:50! I wouldn't dream of having her come home on her own in the 6th grade, but 7-8 maybe (I would be home shortly after hopefully)

At the beginning of school, DD kept saying a girl in her 3rd grade was claiming she was going to get her belly button pierced. Yeah right! (and no, the girl didn't get it pierced. She said her 14 year old sister was going to - even that i have a hard time believing).
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

DD (9) has been asking. My favorite argument is 'It doesn't have to be a fancy one, just one to call you in case of an emergency. Like if the school catches on fire and all the teachers leave their phones inside, I'd have mine and could call for help.' So really, it's not selfish, she's trying to save all the people .

Honestly, I'm not sure what the right age is. Like Leslie said, my kid too is just way too fond of screen time to begin with and I fear it will open another distraction. Perhaps one of those go phones that is programmed with just our numbers? At this point she goes to private school and either goes directly to after school care at school or our sitter picks her up and drops her at home with one of us in the evening. So there's no getting on a bus or emergency need I can see at this point.

(JESSE - middle school gets out at 1:50??? WTF? Your town is heavily on our list of contemplation right now...that scares me, LOL. Do they have after school options on campus? FB message me!)

Around here it seems like most kids get them in middle school. I'm not opposed to that idea if it is warranted. I just don't see why my kids would need one then. I guess we'll see how it goes in 3 years. I'm also initially thinking it will be a basic phone, not a smartphone, and would also be used as a house phone (since we don't have a landline).

My niece's BFF has one and they are 10. My sister likes that she has one for when they go to the playground up the street by themselves.

Apparently third graders at my kids' school already have phones. DD(8) keeps asking for one, but she says she just won't use the phone part. I keep telling her that an iPhone without the phone is an iPod, which she has! But apparently that isn't good enough. I didn't realize until this past weekend that there are actually kids in her class with phones. I can't imagine buying DD one for another few years.
    S 6/06
    E 4/09
    M 5/12

I've heard 11 or 12 is pretty common here.

We know a girl who had one in kindergarten. With married parents and a SAHM! Another girl has one but she was 9.5 and a latchkey kid for 15-30 minutes so her parents got it for emergencies.

Generally speaking though, middle school is the most common time to have one, so grade 6.

DD uses texting and Face Time to talk with her friends/cousins. She got an iPod 5 for her 9th birthday for just that reason. It has been great for staying in touch with non-neighborhood kids.

We used the logic of when he was old enough that we allowed him to hang out in town on his own -such as rec program or he was at the age when he was old enough to walk from A to B by himself. So I think he was around 12 when we got him one. Also -it's a basic phone, not a smart phone. I don't think they really need the distraction of all that -ours is a communication tool. That's it.

He has an iPod that he does use for texting and uses wifi with him. But the phone is our way of contacting him if he's at a friends, hanging out in town or at practice and we're needed to know when to pick him up.

ETA: My sister got my neice a cell phone when she was quite young because her father would not always allow her to call my sister when she'd go to his house on weekends, so that solved the issue for her. To me this is a very valid reason for a younger child to have one!