Quantcast
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Oils

Default Let's Talk Oils

Serenity is definitely good for anxiety. I'm going to look for some other options specifically for OCD. Does he have nightmares? Juniper berry works for that.

ETA: Balance works well too, along with cedar wood. Wild orange is calming and uplifting. If Max were my son I would also incorporate some Frankincense. It has amazing healing benefits for just about anything. There is a saying that if in doubt us Frankincense.
    Last edited by dragonfly_71; 09-21-2014 at 07:39 PM.

I've been diffusing lavender, peppermint, and lemon for seasonal allergies, as someone else already mentioned. And I've been using Thieves and Purification (YL) on myself and the boys to hopefully help keep germs away.

I use Peace and Calming (YL) or a blend of cedarwood, vetevier, and lavender on my boys to help them calm down and focus. I've used Peace and Calming, Lavender, or Valor (YL) at night. They have nightmares/restless sleep. They love Peace and Calming and will ask for it. I love the smell of Valor. Dragonfly- I will have to try Juniper berry too!

Dragonfly- That is so interesting about type O blood and bugs! I did not know there could be a connection. My boys and I have type O blood and mosquitoes love us. We get huge welts. Someone told me Scentsy's layers (?) coconut, lime, lemongrass (I think that's what it was) lotion/spray works so we tried that. We still got bit. It may have helped a little bit, but not enough. I am going to give cedarwood and lemongrass a try. I don't have lemongrass yet though.

I got the YL diffuser that comes with the set of most popular oils, so I have a bunch now. I just need to look up more of the uses for the different oils. I have Frankincense but have not really used it yet. The Panaway is great too! I used that on my feet because I've been having some foot pain from running and it helps so much. I am sure the other companies have their own versions of these blends too.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

I saw in another thread someone one added an oil to their water when they were having a hot flash and it cooled them right down. I'm very interested in that. I don't tend to hot flash but my basic chemistry is hot blooded and it's not unusal for me to have low grade temp as normal. So I'd love anything that could cool me down. It also causes me to have really awful hyperhydrosis which I would kill to be able to manage better. Any advise or insight?
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

Default Let's Talk Oils

VASLP peppermint and lemon grass both cool you down. You can put them in your water or mix them with a carrier oil or lotion and put it on the back of your neck and your wrists. I'll see what I can find in hyperhydrosis.
    ETA: yes lemongrass seems to be the way to go for excessive sweating. Clary sage is recommended as well but that seems to be more for hormonal causes like hot flashes during menopause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dragonfly_71; 09-22-2014 at 05:27 AM.

Thank you so much Dragonfly! I never even considered EO an option until someone posted that in another thread. I'm definitely going to investigate this further!
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

Is there any place (or can anyone recommend) a good "starter" kit of oils?

I mentioned this to DH the other day and he seemed interested. We're trying to get more natural and I think this will help.

We currently have Tea Tree Oil but I've only used that in the wipes mixture for YDD's cloth wipes - which we no longer use.

What are some "basics" that most everyone uses? And what are they used for? And, where can I buy them online? We have one, maybe two stores in town that sell essential oils. Hobby Lobby (which I won't shop at) and I think the natural food store if it's still in business. So online is probably best for me.

thanks!!
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Chimi, check out some of the links I posted above. There is some great info on getting started.

From what I learned, essential oils come in varying grades, some better than others (100% pure, therapeutic grade, food grade, etc.) so you need to get them from a reputable source. For example, the ones at Hobby Lobby (I assume), are more for just making your home smell good or if you want to add a few drops to your lotion or bath, etc. You wouldn't want to ingest those ones and I assume they wouldn't have the therapeutic qualities like some of the other oils do.

There are a few popular MLM companies from which you can source essential oils: doTerra and Young Living are the most popular. BUT, that's not to say you can't get other good quality oils elsewhere. (For example, I bought some on Amazon from a company called Plant Therapy that were a lot less $$ but I first did research to ensure I felt good about the quality of oils.)

I would check out the links I posted or google doTerra or Young Living to get some basic info. I'm sure others will have better info to give you too...... I'm still a total newbie myself
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Is anyone a doTerra rep here? I want to try a couple oils to start, but thought I'd support someone on here. PM me if you like.
    Thanks for asking but I am not. I get mine through my sister.

I just bought a ticket for next year's doterra convention. Eeek!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly_71 View Post
    I just bought a ticket for next year's doterra convention. Eeek!
    That's exciting!

The company I signed up with is officially launching on Thursday. I'm excited to get my hands on more oils! Meanwhile I've been researching like crazy trying to make sure I have only safe information. There is just so, so much to learn. I expect my house to look like a lab within the next couple of weeks as I'm mixing up all sorts of things.
    S 6/06
    E 4/09
    M 5/12