Quantcast
Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Oils

Default Let's Talk Oils

This group is for those of us interested in learning more about essential oils and how to incorporate them in our daily lives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What kind of diffuser do you use?
    Married: April 20, 2002
    DD: January 25, 2008

Angie, I posted about mine here. I'd like to get another one because I keep that one on our upstairs landing/ledge thing I usually pump Lavender in it at bedtime or OnGuard if someone seems like they are coming down with something. I'd like to be able to diffuse a different one in the kitchen area downstairs.

I got mine through NYR Organic because it was cheaper. But doterra is coming out with a new one that I will probably get. It should be around $45 wholesale.

Yay!

Let's start with the basics, please? Why would you diffuse them? What does that do?

Can you give the names of some of them and what they're for? Like OnGuard?

Thanks for starting this dragon!

I am brand new to EOs and have only been using them for a week, but so far, I am in love!

My first doTerra order consisted of: lemon, lavender, peppermint and the Balance blend. I made my own blend of the LLP and mixed it with some fractionated coconut oil to use for allergies. I've applied it every morning and so far, it works really well. DS also has allergies (and I think DS2 has them as well), so I've been applying the LLP to them as well and they are definitely less sneezy.

I also have been using the lavender each night before bed and I honestly feel like I am getting much better (deeper) sleep.

After my shower, I use the Balance blend and I apply it again right before I leave to pick-up the kids from school and start the dreaded homework/dinner prep time which is definitely the most stressful time in our home. I haven't noticed a huge difference here, but I will keep using it.

Eventually I will get a diffuser (thanks for posting that again Taurus!) and I'd love to diffuse a calming blend in my home in hopes that it helps with the after school stress.

On a side note, I found a few places that indicated if you have pets, especially cats, you need to be careful about diffusing oils. Some oils are toxic to pets (cats more so than dogs), even if they just breath the fumes. I guess them lack some type of enzyme in their liver to process the oils. However, there are some oils that you can diffuse safely around cats. This link has some great info: http://www.thedogoiler.com/health-for-cats.html

I also purchased a different brand of oils (Plant Therapy) which just arrived. I'd read that it was a reputable brand and they were much less expensive on Amazon so I figured I would try it. I got an oil for headaches because I get them often, as well as a blend for children called Calm Child (or something like that). I used that on the kiddos last night for the first time.

My next order through doTerra will be On Guard which I'm hoping will help keep us healthy as well as Clary Calm which I'm hoping will help even out my moodiness due to hormone fluctuations. I may also get an Oregano in the event we do get sick.

My doTerra rep singed me up for a bunch of FB oil groups and I've been learning a lot from them. Here are a few other links I found helpful:

http://www.learningabouteos.com/inde...-and-children/
    http://www.healinginourhomes.com/201...tial-oils.html
    http://www.healinginourhomes.com/201...n-doterra.html
    http://www.healinginourhomes.com/201...y-doterra.html
    Last edited by steviem; 09-20-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Leslie:

I'm sure dragon can give more thorough info than me, but by diffusing oils, not oil will your home smell good, but the oils let off therapeutic benefits as well. Some benefits are calming (think of aromatherapy like at a day spa), and others actually kill germs in the air.

On Guard is a blend made by doTerra. My understanding is that it's an immune booster and a germ killer so you can not only apply it topically, but also diffuse it in the air to kill icky stuff. I believe you can also ingest in (in gel capsules or beadlets which they sell.)

I posted a few links above which have good overall info. The www.learningabouteos.com website it not brand specific- it's more of general info on EOs where as the other links are geared towards the doTerra brand oils.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS2 03.07.12

Thanks, Stevie!! The Balance is for stress, I take it?

I diffuse oils to make the house smell good (wild orange, juniper berry, lavender/peppermint mix), to clean the air (Purify, OnGuard), and for therapeutic benefits ( Breathe, Eucalyptus, Serenity). Many oils have antifungal properties as well. Of those my favorite to diffuse is lemongrass. I diffuse that in the bathroom every so often.
    I mostly use oils topically and internally. Ingesting oils is controversial but I feel good about it based on my experience. If you don't want to do that though, no problem, applying them topically is just as effective. The best place to apply them is on the bottom of your feet. From there the oils will get into every cell of your body within a few minutes. You can actually taste them.
    My favorite oil is frankincense. It is said to kill cancer cells while leaving healthy cells intact. I use a little bit every day as my anti cancer insurance and put it on DS about once a week or so.

The Balance is for stress, I take it?
    Um, yeah. I should probably take a bath in the stuff! I just asked my DT rep what would be good for stress/tension and she suggested Balance. According to DT, you should use it if you are: tense, worried, have digestive/upset stomach, neck pain.

Serenity is another blend I'd like to try. It says it's for people who are angry, impatient (ME!!!), stomach ache, headache (ME!).
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS2 03.07.12