Quantcast
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Tracy, my oldest's eyes crossed a lot when she was an infant (especially compared to the other two kids, whose eyes never crossed), and we were always told to "wait and see what happens." They still crossed at 6 months, when you say your DD got glasses. Like your friend, I just went along with what we were told to do. Her eye crossing, thankfully, wasn't an issue and did correct itself.

So I was reading through the optometrist's email tonight, and what I thought he referred to as a "slight" astigmatism was really "moderate." I'm really curious to see what happens at his appointment in December.

So we found out this afternoon that DS needs glasses. He has an astigmatism and is nearsighted, just like the Lions Club screening detected. The peds ophthalmologist (who was highly recommended by a ton of people on a local mom blog FB page last week ... exciting that we had an appointment already scheduled with him!) said it is, indeed, a very reliable screening. He also said he could outgrow both issues, and that it's pretty rare for him to see a kid this age with poor vision and NO other issues like an eye crossing or wandering a bit. That's obviously because if the eyes track properly, a parent would have no indication that their child can't see well, so there would be no reason to bring him or her to an eye doctor. He said DS doesn't even know he can't see well.

So I'm pretty bummed. We're still glad it wasn't a tumor, though, so I'm trying to focus on that and get over the vanity that came creeping back up again on our way home.

Now on to finding frames. Does anyone have recommendations? He's 21 months.
    Last edited by MrsBeckyLP; 12-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.

I texted you back but I'll post here too. I'm sorry for this news! My boys had no other eye crossing or anything.

I think I've mentioned here that it's likely a gene in our family with the boys. I only have sisters but between us we have 5 boys and 4 were in glasses by age 2/3. Anyway, My 18 mo old nephew just got Solo Bambinis. That seems to be the trend now. They weren't around when my boys got glasses. They are different than what I'm used to but my nephews are squareish blue and very cute on him.
    Last edited by Taurus; 12-11-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Becky - Glad to hear that it is only glasses not a tumor. I don't have any glasses suggestions but little kids in glasses are adorable!
    Married 8.5.2001
    DS 6.8.2005 DD 10.3.2007 DD 4.22.2011

My DS was 4 when he started wearing glasses and has done great with them right away. I just got a regular black frame, Converse brand. They did show me a style that I would have went to if he was younger. They look similar to the ones Taurus posted, but they have a built in strap. The are indestructible. To be honest I didn't care for the strap, but they are practical and cute.

I honesty think it is becoming more and more common to see very young children in glasses. Better early detection and more durable glasses construction have enabled this. I think it's a good thing. I have very, very poor vision and have had so all my life. I sometimes wonder if my general clumsiness might have been avoided if I had simply been able to see better as a child.

jaja, you are correct. I was just reading an article about more kids wearing glasses due to early detection because of improved screening methods. I know a lot of you were leery about the Lions Club screening we had done, but even our peds ophthalmologist said it is quite reliable. So if any of you have the chance to have that screening done, I'd definitely go for it!

I've been looking for frames, and the internet makes this all so overwhelming. I love having all the options I do, but sometimes I miss just going to a store and picking something out!

Becky, FWIW, I am the queen of online shopping, but in almost 8 years, my kids' glasses are the one thing I've never dreamed of even trying to buy online. Well, I take that back. DS2 has his beloved Converse frames, and when they broke on our summer vacation last year I did replace the frames only online and had a local place put the lenses inside. But that is because I knew the exact size and such that we needed.

My recommendation is to find a place that fits small kids all day, every day and start with them. See what they carry and what they can order. If you do not end up going with one of those new indestructible types, you will likely be at the eyeglass store many times for tweaks, adjustments and such. As our boys got older, our need for adjustments frequently practically disappeared, but back in the day we went often. We have greatly valued having a relationship with a local place that knows exactly what they are doing and how to get the perfect fit, and lets us pop in for free adjustments all the time and knows our family. We've been going there for almost 8 years now. They have candy and toys there, and it's a great place. You might pay less online, but IME with glasses the value isn't just in the $, kwim?

Also, we have always paid extra for anti-reflective coatings, so that in flash photos the glasses look good.