Quantcast
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Becky- He is adorable! I understand your concern and I would be concerned also. I am glad you are getting him in to get more testing. I will be praying for you! And I know your concern goes beyond vanity about the glasses, but I just wanted to add that one of my friends from highschool has a 2 yr old who's had glasses for probably a year or so, and he is seriously the CUTEST little guy you could ever see. Glasses can be super cute on little ones!
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Just dropping by to say I'll be praying for your little guy MrsBecky! I'm sure you will feel much better after you've had more testing done. Sending good thoughts your way
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

I want to thank everyone for the kind words and prayers. You guys are amazing.

I'm taking DD1 to school in a bit and am going to make some phone calls shortly thereafter. Hopefully my doctor's office and insurance company gets moving.

DH broke down crying this morning. He's really worried. We're praying that it's something simple at this point. I've found that in only a few days, I'm already over the vanity. If all he needs are glasses, I'll be happy!

Isn't it funny how the shock of potentially facing something truly horrible, makes us realize that quite a few of our smaller worries are really not such a big deal?

I'm NOT minimizing. I'm sure I would be upset if DD needed glasses so early. I have terrible, terrible vision (-9.5, both eyes) and the limitations are very annoying, and were especially so as a child, especially since I went undiagnosed for a very long time. BUT, when I think about how limited my life would be without glasses/contacts, I am ever so grateful for the ability to non-invasively correct my vision.

Please keep us posted!

I think I actually posted about glasses a year or so ago because DD failed a vision screening (a different one than yours). I got glasses when I was 8 and I was teased a lot. I still remember in that thread everyone said it's no big deal now, tonnes of kids wear glasses now. And they were right! Vision screening is so much better now and more widely available so vision problems are being caught much younger, which also means lots more glasses. And glasses now are much more stylish then when we were kids. It did turn out that she didn't need glasses yet, but she will. She has an astigmatism like I do, so she'll probably need glasses next year.

Thinking of you and your DS!

At my DS2's four year check up his Dr's office was trying out the device that sounds similar to what your kids had. They took a picture of his eyes and it reported back that he could not see far (near sighted? I always mix up those terms). So they tested him with the chart and he got about the same results. He went to an eye Dr and had a full exam and the device that was used was pretty accurate. He also had very poor depth perception. He wears glasses now, but does not have to patch or do eye exercises. When he first put on his glasses he said "Wow! I can see way over there!" He has had no issues with wearing them, I think he liked how much better he could see! I felt so bad that he couldn't see well and that I had no idea. I guess he didn't either!

Quote Originally Posted by jajacobsen View Post
    Isn't it funny how the shock of potentially facing something truly horrible, makes us realize that quite a few of our smaller worries are really not such a big deal?
    Very much so. I will honestly be thrilled at this point if it's "just" glasses.

So I called my doctor's office this morning, and she apparently put the referral in right away last Friday. She's great. It was one of those "they'll call you to schedule the appointment" kind of things, and I wasn't waiting. So I called them, and the receptionist told me they could get him in in MARCH. MARCH! Not acceptable. Even if it is just a vision problem, we'd have to wait six months to figure it out?! So my kid might be seeing horribly right now and for another six months? No! I've never had to push for anything like this before, but I'm pushing this one. I explained that the referral was put through without the information regarding the white pupil appearance, and she said she'd enter that info and that someone would be getting back to me within the next WEEK. Even that seems unacceptable to me. A week to even call back? So I sent a message via MyChart to our doctor to see if she can pull some strings, and I attached the photos. She placed a call when I had my back problems two years ago, and the surgeon "magically" had an opening to see me the next day (I ended up with surgery within a week of that appointment). I'm hoping for a similar scenario here.

So now I wait. I hope our doctor (family practice, not a pediatrician) can come through for me. If I know her, she'll personally call when she has a chance. She's been great so far, and I hope she doesn't let me down. Otherwise I'll be seeking out care that's not in our network and paying out-of-pocket. I will not wait six months for him to be seen.

I'm going to go on Tapatalk now and add the other two questionable photos. (Because I'm actually in on my computer for the first time in about a month in a half!)

Oh, and I realized I've been spelling ophthalmologist all wrong. Oops.

I cannot believe they told you MARCH! That's just crazy! I'm sure once your doctor gets involved you will get something ASAP. And no, you don't want to wait for him to have his vision checked, but the retinoblastoma concerns are a completely different concern and, IMHO, warrant being brought in ASAP. Which again, once you can get past the receptionist, I'm sure will be made a priority.

Praying for nothing less than a clean scan for your DS!
    Loving my DDs and DS