Quantcast
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Failed vision screening

Our school district puts on an early learning celebration where they screen kids from 18 months to 5 for developmental delays. I took my youngest two today, and DS failed the vision test that our local Lions Club sponsors. If you aren't familiar with the screening, here is an excerpt from the Lions Club website: "The Lions Club uses a hand-held PediaVision Spot auto-refraction device, about the size of a camera. It is a vision-screening device that is 85-90% accurate in detecting vision problems." It doesn't say what the problem might be, but it indicates some sort of problem and recommended a complete vision screening. He's 18 months.

So my heart sank when I got the results. I am waiting to hear back from our insurance company/HMO/doctor's office about setting up a complete eye exam. The person I originally spoke with said it's a complicated process for kids his age. Until then I picture my cute little guy having to wear eye patches or glasses. And I know it sounds horrible, and I'm being completely vain, but I want to cry when I think about the look (not to mention logistics) of him having to wear glasses at such a young age.

So does anyone have experience with vision issues in a child so young?

Not that young, but we found out DS2 needed glasses because of two failed eye exams done by the nurse in K. We took him to an eye doctor and found out he has astigmatism in both eyes. I was crushed over it, I admit. DS1 got glasses in K, too, but I don't remember being as upset (his is not a vision issue and at some point he won't need glasses anymore). DS2 was upset, too, so that made it even worse. We all got over it quickly, but I admit whenever I see him without his glasses on, it makes me sad that he has to wear them. I don't know at what point contacts will be an option, but I won't be opposed to them if he wants to try.

As far as logistics, I know they sell those bands, but I bet he will get used to them quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DD was screened at age 4 in private preK. She has been seen by a pediatric Opthamologist since then. The doc recommended DS come in as well due to the family history. Sure enough, they caught his vision early. With the prescreen failing, I would be surprised if an Opthamologist is not covered the hardest part is finding a pediatric one which I would recommend.

Good luck!

DD had some ROP issues because of her prematurity, but overall, it corrected on its own over time. I think she was almost two when we noticed that her left eye was starting to turn in. We took her back to the pediatric opthamologist at Children's Hospital and they ran tests, but I do not remember what exactly. She's worn glasses since then. It only took about two weeks to get her to wear and keep them on while she was awake. The biggest thing they recommended to us was to put them on her as soon as she woke up in the morning and not to wait. During that first week, we would give her breaks from them every few hours for about 10-20 minutes.
    We have a PPO, so our insurance wasn't an issue. If you renew in January, can you switch if you feel the HMO will be a PITA?

I remember being sad/concerned for her at the time, but now it's just normal everyday life for her and us. Last year she started preschool and I think she became aware of her eye issue when someone must have said something about her having a "googly" eye. It broke me to pieces because it was the first time she became self-conscious . But it was short-lived and this year in kindergarten, after her second day, she told me everyone in her class loved her glasses and wanted to try them on (and we explained to her why that wasn't a good idea).

After wearing glasses for about a year we had to add bifocals to the lenses. We just had her 6-month apt at Children's a couple of weeks ago. Her doctor is happy w/her progress but says she will need glasses AT LEAST until age 10-12, maybe forever. And only if she ditches the bifocals can she wear contacts.

I completely appreciate where you're coming from and I'm NOT trying to devalue how you feel, but for US specifically the "your child needs glasses" diagnosis came with less of a blow because for a short time we didn't know if she'd be blind or not.
    Loving my DDs and DS

Default Failed vision screening

We're dealing with vision issues and probable eye surgery for our DD right now, and I totally understand the feelings you're having. I just wanted to drop off a photo to show you glasses on little people aren't all bad! DD is 2.5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    R+P 11.09.02
    C 04.06.09 + G & J 12.19.11

Thanks for the replies. And for the cute pic, falling!

I should clarify that I'm not worried about insurance coverage. We have fantastic insurance, but it's a matter of getting referrals from our primary doc, and then something about seeing an optometrist, but our HMO's eye clinic (our HMO has all of its own clinics) doesn't see kids until they are 3, but the pediatric opthamologist they'd send me to at UW Hospital requires a referral from an optometrist! I have no doubt that member services at the HMO will work everything out, and if I had to guess, we'll be scheduling an appointment early next week, possibly by even Monday. I received a return call from our primary care doctor's nurse within 30 minutes of my initial call.

DH didn't understand how serious this could be until about 20 minutes ago when I read him some info I got from the screening. Then he put it in perspective and made me feel even worse about my vanity and said he just hopes it isn't a serious problem. He said glasses aren't a big deal. I don't agree with that part, but at the same time I know he's right.

I haven't noticed anything abnormal about DS's eyes just from looking at him, so I'm praying it's something minor. But it does seem like the most minor problem would still probably require glasses. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but I can't help it!
    Last edited by MrsBeckyLP; 09-19-2014 at 08:53 PM.

My boys both got theirs at age 1. I was upset at the time but that feels like ages ago. I'd definitely go to a pediatric ophthalmologist. Let me know if you want to talk.

becky I have no experience just want to point out that maybe the optometrist will just give a referral with a phone call since they don't see children that young. And while I can understand being upset about glasses, he will still be cute with or without if he needs them. And keep in mind it was just a screening and not 100% accurate!

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    My boys both got theirs at age 1. I was upset at the time but that feels like ages ago. I'd definitely go to a pediatric ophthalmologist. Let me know if you want to talk.
    I'll probably be texting or calling you eventually. I wondered how old your boys were. How were their issues detected?

Mcg - I'm sure they will put in a referral without seeing him. It's just a few hoops to jump through.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgwigan View Post
    And keep in mind it was just a screening and not 100% accurate!
    So true.

Becky, DS1 was referred to PT for being slow to reach milestones/low tone and the PT suspected vision. My boys are just straight-up pretty severely nearsighted. DS2 developed more typically but still on the late side for crawling and walking, but he just got checked bc of DS1 and was the same. I was upset about the glasses but all that was secondary to being upset about how bad their vision was. Eventually their Rx stabilized and glasses are part of them and haven't been an issue, but it's really all we've ever known. DD Not needing them was a shock! Turns out the doctor thinks my sisters and I carry a gene: my one sister's younger son got glasses around 2-3 and my younger sister's son was just diagnosed at 15 mos and needs glasses. My sister would have never known, but both my other sister and I had noticed possibly one of his eyes turning in slightly. None if our kids have ever needed patching. They are just nearsighted.

Eta: to clarify, we were not referred to PT for late crawling per se but more for the lack of interest in getting around, not pulling to standing, etc. DS1 would just focus on what was in front of him. Only afterward did I realize how he brought things close to his face. Prior to that we just used to think he was a little inspector.
    Last edited by Taurus; 09-20-2014 at 07:01 AM.