Quantcast

Thread: Swimming thread

Default Swimming thread

Do we have any swimmers on here? There's a great thread for runners, but I don't run unless someone is chasing me and even that is iffy. I much prefer swimming for my exercise and I'd love to chat about it with fellow swimmers.

I'm just getting back to the gym for swimming after a couple of years off due to kid school schedule (poor excuse, I know, but there it is). Right now I'm swimming 1500 meters. I'd like to get that up to 2000 eventually, but probably not for a year or so. Right now, I my goal is to get back to the time intervals I was swimming when I stopped two years ago. Then, I'll add distance. But I also know I need some variety. And this is where I'd love to chat with other swimmers. I need some workout suggestions. Most everything I find online includes fly, and that just isn't going to happen, for a variety of reasons.

I'll stop there until I know if there's anyone out there.

Bumping since most people are now able to get back on CC, and I'm hoping there's people out there who swim but just weren't able to post for a while

I've been trying to get in a couple times a week since I'm still unable to run injury free. Right now, I'm still just trying to get a little bit of conditioning. I'm swimming in a 25yd pool and doing between 2500 and 5000yd a workout. The day I did 5000, the last bit was pretty sloppy. I've done a few interval sets but it's embarrassing how slow I am. I don't know how long I'll keep it up because the closest pool is outdoors and I don't swim in the cold, even in Florida.
    I'm not attempting fly right now, either.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

5000 yds!?! That's awesome. Even if I had the time, I don't think I would do that much. I only have about 30-40 minutes, so 1500-1600 is about all I can fit in in that time.

My current workout is:
    400 warm up - 100 free, 100 back, 100 breast, 100 free - 9:00
    3x300 - 100 pull, 100 kick, 100 swim - 6:45
    2x50 sprint - 1:00
    100 cool down

Yeah, it took me awhile and two bathroom breaks the day I did 5000. Sounds like you have a good workout for the time you have. Have you tried to change up your pace and do hard/easy or descending sets? Right now, I'm just breaking everything up into 500 yd segments, and just kind of doing what I feel like because I'm so out of shape. I've been adding one or two sets on the clock but I'm so slow it's depressing.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

I was just thinking yesterday during my swim that I should try to do some interval stuff. So, starting next week, I think I'm going to move my sprints to between each pull-kick-swim set. That's going to suck.

I don't think there are many swimmers here, but in case there are... I bought myself a waterproof iPod for Christmas. I LOVE that I'm able to listen to music while I swim now. I thought I'd have trouble with keeping track of my laps, but so far that hasn't been an issue (but I've only been swimming in sets of 100s, so not a lot to keep track of). I feel like I'm going faster and swimming better. The only problem has been the earbuds - they don't fit quite right in my ears and sometimes I get music in only one ear. But I'm sure I'll get that figured out.

What'd you get? I've been thinking about it for years but I just don't go enough to justify the cost.

I haven't been in months. Lots of sorry excuses but I swam through enough miserable conditions as a kid that I have a hard time making myself do it as an adult. I want to feel better not worse after a swim.

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett View Post
    I don't think there are many swimmers here, but in case there are... I bought myself a waterproof iPod for Christmas. I LOVE that I'm able to listen to music while I swim now. I thought I'd have trouble with keeping track of my laps, but so far that hasn't been an issue (but I've only been swimming in sets of 100s, so not a lot to keep track of). I feel like I'm going faster and swimming better. The only problem has been the earbuds - they don't fit quite right in my ears and sometimes I get music in only one ear. But I'm sure I'll get that figured out.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

I got an iPod shuffle waterproofed by Underwater Audio. I don't love the way the Shuffle works as compared to other iPods, but it is little, and I can make it work. It definitely makes the swim more enjoyable.