Quantcast
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: Puberty Anyone?

I purchased new body soap - a more natural one with tea tree oil - and new deodorant (Mitchim or something like that; I know the name but can't remember).

That seemed to help. I think I'm going to have her use that more than the moisturizing body wash. We have Castille's peppermint soap that DH and I use. I wanted her to try that but she claimed she couldn't get it open It may also be a fragrance thing. The deodorant/body wash she used to use was more scented - although not that powder scent. The new stuff is more neutral and fresh and they seemed to keep her balanced.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Chimi, does Tom's have anything natural that may help? I know they have deodorant.

I can certainly give it a try. I ordered deodorant from doTerra (didn't work for her but I like it!) and my mom had another natural one (didn't work for her).

I think I may just need to keep a stash on hand and rotate things so her body doesn't get used to it.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Shaving advice? ODD is 10.5 and has a small amount of both pubic hair and underarm hair. Now that we're entering warmer temperatures these developments are going to become more apparent to other people. She doesn't have enough pubic hair by any stretch to warrant bikini line shaving but her underarm hair is quite dark and noticeable, at least to me. She has asked about shaving her legs (which aren't really very hairy and I don't think it's necessary yet), but not her armpits. I'm not sure what to do? Have her start shaving her armpits or wait until she asks? She's one of the oldest ones in class and seems to be further along in development than many of her friends, so I don't want any of them to see her armpit hair and make any unkind comments, or be surprised. On the other hand, I don't want to encourage her to shave her armpits if she's not ready for it or comfortable with the way they are. Advice?

I keep looking at DD's (almost 11) armpits to see if she has any hair - I've told myself if I see anything and she hasn't approached me about it, then I will bring it up. I started shaving my armpits as soon as there was anything. DD has shaved her legs a couple of times (not with approval from me! 1 time she stole my razor, another time she was at my mother's spending the night). She has light color and light coarseness hair and I've told her she just doesn't need to shave her legs and explained to her how it comes in thicker. She says her friends tell her that is a myth. I told her it was very true! I started in 6th grade and completely regret it.

As for the future bikini area "pruning" , I am not sure I will be able to have a good conversation with her except to tell her how uncomfortable it can be. According to friends at work who have kids in high school and college, what is the norm for kids that age is very different than it was in my day. I don't have to do a lot in the bikini area and definitely didn't need to do it until I was in my 20s. I guess less is more now - ugh.....
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09