Quantcast
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Puberty Anyone?

Oh my god, this is so timely. DD just turned 7 in June and I'm so worried about precocious puberty with her. She's a big girl, like 95% for height and weight, and my mom has been commenting lately that she smells sweaty, and she just got two pimples! She is so not ready for puberty (nor am I!). Not sure if pimples are so abnormal at this age or not, but I've been wishing I knew who to ask. I was almost 14 when I got my first period, but I was built very differently from DD.
    Eve Eleanor arrived June 5, 2007
    Graham Alexander arrived February 27, 2010
    George Derek arrived October 17, 2014

Once again a timely thread as DH came home from attending a function with ODD and he noticed that one of her friends who turned 7 fairly recently (maybe 3 months ago) looked like she was in the early stages of puberty. She, too, is a large girl, very tall and quite heavy. DH was surprised to say the least and he said he googled puberty and what he learnt from "Dr. Google" was that the average age of onset for girls is 10-11 and for boys 12-13 but that this is 3 years earlier than it was even 30 years ago. Given my small sample set (the four girls I know IRL who are between 7-9 years of age and the girls from this thread with the exception of one) it seems as though the early onset is related to larger body size. Does anyone know if this is a cause or an effect of early puberty?

If my memory serves me correctly, I thought I heard that body size is the cause of early puberty because it tells the reproductive system that the body is big/mature enough to be pregnant. I thought that's why a lot of the time competitive gymnasts starts late, because they're body fat is so low. I could be completely wrong.

I started when I was 9 and I was a bigger girl. I was always chunkier than my friends. DD worries me because while she's tall and thin, her stats still put her in the 94% for height and 77% for weight. Her BMI is in the 53%, so she's certainly not overweight. So I'm hoping the height doesn't trigger it.
    Married: April 20, 2002
    DD: January 25, 2008

I haven't joined in this thread before b/c I have tiny girls and am mostly likely many years away from them going into puberty, perhaps even a decade! I was a WAY late bloomer b/c I was small, off the weight/height charts (low). I was still growing (taller) in my first year of college! Anyway, I was skinny/tiny and so I didn't start my menses until high school. Seriously.

But when they do start, I'm totally doing a red tent party!
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

I don't have girls and don't think there are as many issues for boys, but I will chime in that my sister had noticed my neice being very moody around 9 years of age and was going to try to track moodiness. She didn't end up getting her period til she was 12 and she is quite tall for her age. She's 13 now and I think about 5'3"...at least I don't think she's taller than me yet! My sister got her period when she was 12... M y mom hadn't even talked to her about it because I didn't get mine til I was 16!

Interesting about a possible link with size. I was always tall and thin (always taller than everyone in my class). I was around 5'2-5'3" when I was 9 and started puberty and I stopped growing at 5'8" by the time I was 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad someone started this thread, because I was beginning to wonder about this. My DS is 9, and recently he's been getting a few pimples, he smells like BO when it's hot, and he has a lot of dark hair on his legs. Also, the hair on his head changed from smooth and shiny to wavy/frizzy. I asked his pediatrician, and he said he didn't think it was puberty, because that would be really early for a boy. But I think it might be. I started at 10 (period at 11), but I doubt there's any correlation between a mother and son.
    A 5/31/05, L 5/11/09, and E 6/6/13

Quote Originally Posted by Dreshny View Post
    but I doubt there's any correlation between a mother and son.
    Why not? I think it sounds like puberty. In my daughter's case, if she is beginning (and I sure hope not) it is definitely from her dad. I don't know when he started, but I've always known he did his growing young. He was that giant child in the back row all through elementary school, and was probably done growing before his peers. My daughter seems to follow that pattern too.

I'm sure size has something to do with it, though wikipedia says that the correlation is for overweight children, and DD isn't technically overweight. But she must have more growth hormones in her body that most of her peers.
    Eve Eleanor arrived June 5, 2007
    Graham Alexander arrived February 27, 2010
    George Derek arrived October 17, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by mcgwigan View Post
    I don't have girls and don't think there are as many issues for boys, but I will chime in that my sister had noticed my neice being very moody around 9 years of age and was going to try to track moodiness. She didn't end up getting her period til she was 12 and she is quite tall for her age. She's 13 now and I think about 5'3"...at least I don't think she's taller than me yet! My sister got her period when she was 12... M y mom hadn't even talked to her about it because I didn't get mine til I was 16!
    Yes, my eldest living niece was the same. Around 9 the moodiness kicked in and my sister had to buy her deodorant and she began hair removal on legs and underarms . I think she started her period around 11/12 but she was fairly slender although not tall. She is 22 now and about 5'5".

Our moodiness started about 18 months ago. DD is tracking to me right now.