Quantcast
Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Puberty Anyone?

Default Puberty Anyone?

DD1 is eight and in third grade. She has just started sprouting boobs. I predict training bra shopping before the end of 2015.

So it begins. Anyone in the same boat? Perhaps we can share stories and resources.
    Last edited by Southlooper; 09-04-2014 at 10:31 AM.

We are. DD is in 4th grade and started sprouting in 3rd grade. She's had a super hard time dealing with it. She hates all bras (even shelf bras in tank tops or soft sport bras). Instead, she wears tank tops under her shirts all the time. She's not really big enough to need a bra, but she definitely has very noticeable buds. I wish she felt better about it, but she cries and says she wishes she could stay a little kid. She doesn't want to grow up and she wants a "straight" body like other girls. The clothes for girls really don't fit her right because of her changing body, and that also makes her sad. Her doctor has talked to her and we've read the excellent American Girl "Care and Keeping of You" book, but none it really helps. I dread when she gets her period (which she does NOT want to hear about. When I try to talk to her about it, she actually puts her hands over her ears). I was something like 13 when I got my period, but apparently my MIL was 9 and DD takes after her. We are crossing our fingers it won't be until she's 11. She's SO not emotionally ready for it now.

I sure hope your DD handles it better than mine. I wish I could make her feel better about her body changing. I've been so positive and we talk about it being natural, but it doesn't help. I guess only time will--and more of her friends entering puberty with her.

She definitely has some moodiness and also has gained weight so that she's a little bit chubby in the stomach (I guess that can happen in puberty).

I'd love to hear more stories and any thoughts on how to help our early puberty girls handle the changes.
    Wife: August, 2002 ~ LJ ~ Mother: May, 2005

I am glad that you liked "Care and Keeping of YOU". I've been browsing through that book and have heard good things. I was thinking of putting it in her stocking for Christmas.

I guess I am a bit surprised. DD is a tiny kid (the smallest in her class) and is predicted to not grow beyond five feet. My BFF is that height and had delayed puberty so I expected her to follow her trajectory. I forget that I was just as small as her and I started wearing a bra in fourth grade.

DD is not so freaked out about it. One of the advantages of being five years older than her sister, she witnessed me breast feeding so she sees this as natural (now, when it become full blown process and her chest starts to hurt we'll see.) I come from a family of medical professionals and have been conditioned to react clinically to health and development situations. For example, (sorry TMI) DD noticed a used pad in the garbage and asked about it. I told her when when women reach a certain age they start to bleed. The blood mean that your body is ready to have babies (I threw in a quick "just because your body is ready does not mean that you will or should have one" comment.) She reaction was , "oh, ok" and walked off.

Yes, I've noticed that DD is more moody. That is my biggest concern right now. Between a moody prepubescent DD1 and a toddler is her "terrible" stage, I think I may runaway.

This is so scary to me!! I was a late bloomer. I didn't even really need it but I got a bra in 6th grade and didn't start my period until middle of 8th grade. I'm so hoping DDs are on my path.
    DD1 is oblivious and very much still a kid. I'm hoping that is an indication that she is many years out. DD2 seems more sophisticated and aware of herself.

Ugh. I feel for any of you going through this. I'm so not ready for this! I guess I better follow along!

ODD is getting hair on her legs and getting the tiniest buds. She's also really starting to get ripe if she doesn't shower regularly and I know that's a puberty thing.

Sadly, I haven't talked to her about it too much. She has had some questions which I answer truthfully, but like Dally, I don't think she's emotionally ready. We're not to that extent, but when she had asked me about sex once, and I wasn't mad or upset or anything - I was honest and truthful for her age - she started crying. I asked why and she didn't know. I said I'm not mad and never will be mad about these types of questions and I was happy she asked. I said sometimes older cousins or brothers or sisters don't know the *real* answer and that's why moms or dads are the best resources. I knew a friend of hers told everyone stories her cousin told her.

We haven't had more conversations yet, but I think I'll have to start.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

I am so not ready for this! I started wearing a bra in the 6th grade (probably didn't really need one until 7th) and didn't get my period until I was 14. But I also stopped growing in the 7th grade (I am 5'6'). I think I started wearing deodarant in the 5th grade.

DD doesn't know anything about periods and doesn't seem particularly interested in where babies come from. I learned everything in the 3rd grade (same age as DD) but I have a brother who is 5 years older so I presume he was the one who told me the stuff in the beginning which prompted my parents to tell me the truth. We started learning about stuff in health class in the 5th grade.

DD wants a sports bra to be like me, which I will not give in to. I was surprised to see a couple of girls on her soccer team wearing sports bras (and they truly need them, not just because they are on the heavier side). I think we had 1 girl wearing a bra in the 4th grade, maybe a couple in the 5th grade. But I've read with our society puberty is coming earlier and earlier. Don't want it to happen!!
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

I have a long time before I need to deal with this, but as someone who went through puberty early (still 9 when I got my period), my advice is to tell your DDs well before you think you have to tell them. As the youngest of 3 girls I was somehow oblivious to the changes from puberty and my mom thought she had time so I literally had no idea what was happening to me. I thought I was dying and was terrified to tell my mom because I thought I did something wrong.

Dally: Not me, but my BFF's DD sounds similar to your DD and my BFF is having a really hard time with it. They too have settled on the tank tops under everything, but her DD fights her even on that. Just wanted to say you definitely are not alone there.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I had a preliminary conversation with DD about periods while camping because she read a sign in her stall about not flushing tampons and applicators. I talked about it (from my stall) and she was pretty interested and a bit grossed out. I also took a tampon and put it in a glass of water to show how it expands and absorbs the liquid. It was a good way to start, but I have no idea where to go next. Definitely following along in this thread for ideas.

So who is planning to throw a "First Moon" Party?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ZoVTkDqH8

Never gets old...