Quantcast
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oh my gosh, who knew this bath thing was so common? I swear, it's practically the thing that's been freaking me out the most because DD never did it, and I was convinced it must be a sensory thing based on the screams that come out of that kid when a drop of water touches his head!

I guess the shoe thing is normal? Again, DD would have never cared if her shoe fell off at 2 yo. I even tried to reason with him, "E, just take your other shoe off, and then both feet will have no shoes." He responded with, "NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" Don't ask me why I was trying to reason with a screaming 2 year old.

taffers one of my went through a freak out phase with the hair washing...I can't remember which one it was, but i think it lasted a couple months. I also agree that something simple like the shoe falling off can cause a complete melt down. And both my boys jump on the couch/bed....it's like it's an automatic thing for them! My. DSS did that too.

Does he have the same routine each day or are you guys pretty busy and kind of however it goes, it goes? Some kids need really strict structure & some are flexible. Sometimes it help tantrums to make sure they aren't hungry or tired.. Also when they are that age ( and always) they like having some control. Does he get to have a choice in things at all? Like do you ask him if he'd like the red or blue cup? If he'd like bubbles in his bath or colored water( I keep food coloring in the bathroom for baths..I am weird). Maybe you should read through the terrible 2's thread...I think there's one!

Just wanted to add another ditto. As I read your first three points I thought of DS at that age a year ago. He screamed bloody murder at the pool, to the point where I was stared at, he insisted that I never put my hair up and would cry until I took it down, and, well, his tantrums knew no bounds if any little thing wasn't going his way. He's thankfully outgrown the first two, but if he's anything like his parents he'll probably hold on to the last one until he gains more self-control. Go with your gut, but it doesn't sound like there's anything to worry about!
    e1~12/24/10
    e2~12/21/14

One time at that same age DD had a complete and total freak out at the library because I parked in the wrong spot. Of course, there was a car in the other spot, but that didn't matter. After 10 minutes in the library foyer I ended up having a conversation with the wall (yes, you read that right, the wall) about parking and the wall "reassured" me that I had to park where I did because of safety.

At that age baths were such a disaster that we actually went as may days as possible in between with no baths to ease the trauma on everyone. We did a lot of sponge baths in between.

I have a 21 month old, and he does nearly everything in your list. He is a little monster, and right now, we don't like him very much. It is hard for us because DS 1 was relatively laid back and listened for the most part. We are just realizing kids are different. Its nutty.

If it makes you feel better, mine doesn't sleep, and had a 2 hour long tantrum last night!
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

Thanks everyone! So of course tonight we go to Benihana for dinner, and DS has his ears covered the entire time and even cries at certain points (like when he turned off the overhead light). It really wasn't that loud so maybe medium sounds do upset him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that the reasons for the meltdowns sound pretty normal to me. My almost 3-year-old sobbed (sobbed!) for awhile the other night because I told her a picture she saw on Facebook was not her but one of DH's relatives.

I think what he's melting down about is less important than the intensity of the meltdowns. I had this whole paragraph about the differences in my two daughters but then erased it because we are traveling by plane with a two year old (which we swore we'd never do again) and I don't want to eat my words. Anyway, I don't have a copy of it in front of me but I think Raising Your Spirited Child has a bunch of information about kids who are, how should we say, not laid back. Your son may have issues that need addressing by a professional but regardless, you will probably have to learn different parenting techniques for him than your daughter. http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Your-S...2804738&sr=1-1
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

I agree with what everyone else has said, that it sounds pretty normal to me. My oldest was (and still is, honestly) a nightmare in the bathtub. I'm jealous of everyone who said their kids grew out of it because I'm still waiting for that We can't go to teppanyaki restaurants at all after DS got so startled by the volcano thing they do that he cried and clung to DHs neck pretty much the entire meal the last time we went. I mean, just yesterday, both of my kids started SOBBING when DH suggested that we go see a movie. That's it, just the idea of going to the movies (something they love to do!!) made them both completely lose it. Who knows why? Kids cry over the most ridiculous things sometimes!
    Betsy and Dave, married 10/18/03
    Amelia Claire 3/4/07
    Nathan Edward 3/10/10

I'll also add that DD cannot handle a teppanyaki place either - it's just too stimulate with the noise, knives, fire, heat, smells etc... And to be completely honest, I can't handle them either. I hate them and pretty much want to cry and put my hands over my ears the entire time as well.

It does sound like many of the things you described, while totally frustrating and irritating, are within the scope of normal.

Just wanted to update that the bloody murder screaming in the bath has stopped- he still cries, but he will play in the bathtub again and doesn't need to be calmed down afterwards, so you were all right- seems to have been a short phase.

He also seems to be getting less tantrum-y. He is suddenly getting a lot more words, which I assume is helping because he can finally properly ask for things, identify things, etc.

Not liking Benihana might be a problem though because it's my mom's favorite place, and she chooses for us to take her there every year for her birthday so he better get used to it!