Quantcast

Thread: Austin, TX

Default Austin, TX

Hi ladies!

I will be in Austin for a long weekend in July with my BFF. We are attending a conference type thing, but, we have about a day and a half of "free time."

Any suggestions on what we should make sure to see? Any good restaurants to try? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Oh, I am following along for recs as well. We are going to Austin in October -- it is our first visit, and I've heard such great things about it. It's actually one of my "retirement hopeful" towns (see the Retirement thread in Chit-Chat), so I am especially curious to get opinions and ideas of what to do. (Live music is a definite!)
    "And as cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round;
    If your bottle's empty, help yourself to mine
    Thank you for your time...Here's to life!"
    - Mekong

Sin: I recently returned from my trip to Austin and figured I'd post a few of my favorite things from our trip which may be helpful for your trip in Oct.

First, you are so lucky to be going in Oct. The high temps and humidity during our trip was just about the only negative thing about it...... I've never been so hot in my life!

Anyway, we stayed at the Omni Downtown. It was a great hotel with a good location and they even had a Starbucks in the lobby- score!

We did not have a car so we relied on taxi cabs. Actually, we used Uber. Ever heard of it? I hadn't but it's a taxi service (many major cities have it). Private parties/individuals drive their own cars. Best part, prices are less than regular cabs, and, you do not exchange ANY money. You set-up an account and enter your cc number (or paypal), and it's all done through your phone. Tips are included in the fare. Maybe you'll have a car so this info won't apply to you, but if not, I'd totally recommend Uber.

We didn't eat out much because we were at a conference but we did manage a few fantastic meals! My favorite restaurants were: Cedar Door and Moonshine Patio & Bar Grill. Cedar Door has a nice patio area but we dined inside. I was so impressed with the menu and the food was delish! My very favorite though was Moonshine. They are known for their Sunday brunch, although we did not have it. The restaurant is so, so cute and the food was out of this world! They called it "Texas" comfort food..... the grits with cheese and green chili was to die for! We also had fried green tomatoes with some type of roulade...... so good!

Shopping: Best shopping we found was in "SoCo," (South of Congress St.) It was a super cute area with lots and lots of cool shops, boutiques and cafes.

Music/Bars: 6th Street has all the cool bars. We were told by the hipsters that West 6th is for the younger crowd and East 6th is for the older crowd. Not sure which side they thought I belonged on...... ha! (Actually, we never actually hung out on 6th St due to limited free time.)

The Bats: Not sure if it's a summer thing or not, but, down at the river, people gather every evening after sunset to see the bats fly. It is supposed to be amazing. Unfortunately for us, we never saw much of anything (only a handful of bats), but all the locals said it is truly amazing. (There were several hundred people gathered around the bridge waiting for the bats to take to the sky.

Amy's Ice cream: YUM! They have shops in the downtown area but we had it at the airport.

BBQ: We were told Stubb's is awesome as well as Saltlick (which is the most famous.) The real Saltlick restaurant is in Driftwood, TX which was too far from downtown for us to go ( I think a 30 min drive). We just had it at the airport and oh.my.goodness..... I wish we would have made the effort to go to the real location.

Anyway, that's all that I can think of right now. I hope you have an amazing trip!
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Stevie, I JUST saw your trip recap -- thank you so much! So many great recs here!

We have our B&B booked already; it's The Adams House near the Hyde Park area, which I believe is close to the music district. We like to stay in B&Bs when we can find ones that are highly recommended.

We will be driving to Austin (and ultimately Dallas) from New Jersey, so no taxi needs. But I am very intrigued with your restaurant and food recs - especially the place with "Texas Comfort Food" - sound right up my alley! And since we drive anywhere , we are definitely willing to seek out the best BBQ in town, even if it isn't technically in town!

The bats sound amazing - I never knew they were a thing in Austin. And I agree; it seems like late October may be the perfect time to go.

Thanks so much for all the recs, and sorry it took me so long to reply!
    "And as cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round;
    If your bottle's empty, help yourself to mine
    Thank you for your time...Here's to life!"
    - Mekong

I was in Austin last weekend and we ate at Moonshine Bar and Grill and it was so good! I had the chicken fried steak and it was huge and yummy. I would totally go back there. We went for lunch and sat and talked and hung out for a while and everyone was so nice.
    DD Feb '08
    DS June '11
    DD Jan '15