Quantcast

Default How do you teach a 2 year old NOT to spit?

Ladies,

I'm hoping someone has had experience with this and can give me some ideas on how to handle my 2yr old DS2.

Over the past few weeks, he has begun to spit. It started with him spitting (making "raspberries"). Then, it turned to him spitting on my table.

Now, he is not so much spitting spit, as he is spitting out water or whatever it is he is drinking. He'll take a sip of water from his cup and spit it on my floor, or on the kitchen table, or on my couch. The other day, we were at DS1's baseball game and DS2 took a sip of water, then walked over to someone's shoes and spit on them! Thankfully, nobody was earing the shoes- they were in a pile with other belonging but still....... embarrassing!

As soon as he spits, I tell him "No spitting........ we do not spit- it isn't nice." I get down on his level and speak firmly and look at him directly in the eye. He is even put in time-out. I want to nip this in the bud but it almost seems like he could care less what I am saying and the time-outs aren't working.

Has anyone else had experience with spitting? I'm hoping it's a phase that will pass very quickly but in the meantime, I'm having hard time dealing with it.

TIA
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

For starters I would insist that he be outside where it's appropriate to spit. Maybe just teach him where he is allowed to spit -in the trash, the toilet and outside -as long as it is on the ground only.

I would not give him drinks in the house if he wants to spit. Maybe after several times of having him stand on the porch to drink he might get the idea?

I agree. DS started to spit his own saliva and we told him that he could spit in the sink. If he spits his drink, we take it away and that has seemed to stop it considerably.

I think though it is a natural phase, as both my boys have done it.
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

My 2 year old spits here and there too. Just last night actually. I tell her that we don't spit in the house, that it's yucky to walk on spit. I tell her she can spit outside or in the shower and that's it. I thought about adding places (sink after brushing teeth, etc) but decided it would just complicate things. I don't say that it isn't nice, just that we don't do it b/c it's yucky to walk on. Consistency is the key. Oh, and if she was spitting out a beverage I'd take it away and explain that she can't drink inside if she will spit (but it's usually food or just saliva).
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

Thanks for the feedback ladies I'm really hoping this phase passes quickly.

I took away his sippy cup after he spit out water today and will definitely keep doing that so thank you for the suggestion.

I was surprised to see that most of you said it was okay to spit outside. I always just assumed spitting was a huge no-no anywhere except for when brushing teeth (or in private/the bathroom). I mean, I know guys do it, but it completely grosses me out so I have also told me kids no spitting whatsoever.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Well outside spitting started at the playground, usually when she'd get sand in her mouth. So there it's okay. Now when she's older I'll take away outside spitting too.
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11