Quantcast
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a great thread. I was wondering the same thing. My DS doesn't say much other than mama, dada and bye. He babbles constantly and will hold an "answer and response" conversation. He is very adamant and insistent in getting his point across, but it's babble. I'm not too worried, but recently I've wondered if he should be saying more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. I Samuel 1:27
    My miracle boy, Trey Marcellus: 11/21/2012

We just saw our ped last week and she's not worried yet but if things haven't changed by 18 months, she will have him evaluated.

He doesn't even say ma or da consistently but he might have other sounds and we just haven't figured them out yet.

Hasn't walked on his own yet. Good holding a hand or holding furniture but he resorts to crawling if there is nothing to hold on to. He could probably do it if he just tried! Just today though, he was stepping with one foot to kind of pivot.

And we are at 15 months now.

Jenn...and Bill (5/25/03)
    ...and Natalie (10/10/07)
    ...and Oliver (11/12/12)

I haven't read through this, but I'm fairly certain my DS had no words at 14 months. He is 2 years 3 months now and still doesn't talk (he has words but no sentences besides "what is this" which only we really understand). He still says "wa wa" for both milk and water. He did qualify for speech through the state at around 19 months, but we stopped therapy (my ped says he doesn't need it).

I'm not worried at all.

It's hard not to compare first and second kids! My older one was a big talker as a toddler -- knew colors and numbers at 18 months, sentences, paragraphs, etc. My second (girl, currently 19 months) has MAYBE 5 consistent, intelligible words (no, dada, more, bye, dog). She babbles plenty and knows *exactly* what's going on, so I'm just waiting for the language explosion. I'm not worried, and I'm trying to enjoy the relative quiet before we have two who will.not.stop.talking.ever.

It's actually kind of funny because she doesn't even really say mama and calls everyone in the family (herself, mom, dad, brother, dog) dada.

Someone mentioned working on one kind of skill at a time and I think this is true -- she may not talk much but she is *very* coordinated for a little one. Climbs, jumps, dances, kicks, throws, rarely ever falls down. She walked at a normal time (13 months?) but since then has mastered physical skills really quickly. So I guess she's been more of a physical learner for the last few months.
    Leo 12/5/08 ...and Ivy 7/26/12

Haha, cactus, mine is the clumsiest person I've ever seen (has a welt, bump, bloody nose, scratch, black eye, everyday) AND he doesn't talk so I'm not sure what skill he's working on!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn (and Bill) View Post
    We just saw our ped last week and she's not worried yet but if things haven't changed by 18 months, she will have him evaluated.

He doesn't even say ma or da consistently but he might have other sounds and we just haven't figured them out yet.

Hasn't walked on his own yet. Good holding a hand or holding furniture but he resorts to crawling if there is nothing to hold on to. He could probably do it if he just tried! Just today though, he was stepping with one foot to kind of pivot.

And we are at 15 months now.

My DD has receptive language delays and didn't walk until 16 months (when we were shocked because she was already standing at 9 months so we just knew she'd do it sooner.) So maybe next month is the charm for him!

This is a great thread. I was wondering the same thing. My DS doesn't say much other than mama, dada and bye. He babbles constantly and will hold an "answer and response" conversation. He is very adamant and insistent in getting his point across, but it's babble. I'm not too worried, but recently I've wondered if he should be saying more.
    As a Special Education teacher, I will just say this...keep an eye on it. Sometimes I want to pull my hair out when I get students whose parents could have had them in EI but instead the first services they EVER get are when they get to me! (age 5 mind you) We could tell by 16 months w/DS! So definitely go with your gut 'cuz only you know best. It's still a lil' early, so he has time. And you know my number if you have questions in the meantime.
    At 24w 4d my little boy...became an angel 11/7/07
    Rainbow baby arrived 12/6/09!

Added a dash of PINK 4/9/11

So DS' 18 month appointment is next week an he still has no words. He's a master walker now but no words. Curious what the doctor will say and how worried I should be.

Once, I asked him to say mama and he did twice. Then I asked him to say dada and he did. He won't do it again though so now i feel like I dreamt it the first time.

Jenn...and Bill (5/25/03)
    ...and Natalie (10/10/07)
    ...and Oliver (11/12/12)

I wouldn't wait for the dr to suggest it, I'd ask for a referral to Early Intervention. Best to get the ball rolling because in some cases it can take awhile. In my state it was a free assessment so I had nothing to lose.
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

My youngest daughter who is now 19 months, has no words at all. At 14 months we took her to be evaluated and discovered she was extremely behind in other areas. This is my third so I didn't really think it was a big deal. She now goes to therapy 3 days a week including 2 hours of speech therapy.

We have also had an MRI done (she has a large head), and will see a genetic dr in June. I would rather be safe then sorry.

Through our county they do free evaluations, and free therapy if your child is at least 33 percent delayed and no words at 14 months would be considered delayed.

Overall my opinion is better safe then sorry, and if the more therapy we can get her I will take as better start early.
    Everyone was leaning towards Autism until we saw the neurologist. He says she show some signs but others not. So its a wait and see how all the other test go.

Our ped was worried at 18 months when he had no words and he didn't want us to wait to 24 months to get the ball rolling. He told us that if he still didn't have any words by 21 months to call because he would want to maximize the amount of time he'd qualify for Early Intervention. At 20 months he did have an explosion and every week we'd wonder if we should call or not(we were also concerned at the time about his articulation (is that the correct word? If people can understand him or not, but everyone said it was fine) - ultimately we didn't call and the Ped was thrilled when he had 50 words at 2 years.

Of course at his K screening, he chose to use his "baby voice" which he does when he is nervous - I glanced at the screener's sheet (she happened to be a speech therapis) and I think she marked him down for it.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09