Quantcast
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default No words at 14months?

I know every kid is different and develops at their own speed but I can't help but worry about DS. It is impossible not to compare him to DD at that age.

He is 14 months and great at standing and cruising and I think he will walk any day. There, he is only a month or two behind her.

But by this time with her, she was talking. We were communicating to each other and all I get from DS are emphatic sounds.

Am I right to worry? I guess I don't know what the normal range is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jenn...and Bill (5/25/03)
    ...and Natalie (10/10/07)
    ...and Oliver (11/12/12)

My older son didn't say a word until after two. Nothing. I was concerned at first, but my mom told me I was exactly the same way - and now I talk for a living. Once he started talking, it was in complete sentences. And he hasn't stopped!

Our younger son was quicker to talk but slower to walk.

Our daughter talked/babbled the minute she was born but didn't walk until nearly 2.
    Last edited by mkredhead; 01-16-2014 at 07:18 AM.
    The best things in life aren't things.

I'm a Speech Pathologist, I work with adults now but spent 8 years working with children. I wouldn't be concerned yet. I'd speak to your Ped if you truly feel as though something is wrong. I posted the graphs below from the American Speech and Hearing Association (our governing board) which details their GENERAL speech development guidelines, just for reference. As you said, every child is different and some children just don't feel the *need* to communicate as early. Especially if they are good at gesture and you anticipate their needs.

Birth to One Year: http://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/01.htm
    One to Two Years: http://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/12.htm
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

I think its fairly normal to not be talking at 14 months. Does he babble a lot and make a variety of sounds? My DS was very quiet and didn't babble/make raspberries by that age. Everyone thought I was overreacting but something just didn't seem right to me. I had him evaluated at 15 months and he qualified for speech therapy. He has some motor planning problems and he just recently (at 4) started being able to make "m" sounds. Meanwhile my 10 month old has been saying ma for a few months.

Trust your instinct. If something doesn't seem right to you ask your ped for a referral to be evaluated. The worst that will happen is they'll say he's fine and doesn't need therapy.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by diam124 View Post

Trust your instinct. If something doesn't seem right to you ask your ped for a referral to be evaluated. The worst that will happen is they'll say he's fine and doesn't need therapy
    This. My DS was a bit late to talk too but I brought it up with my ped who pointed out that sometimes babies are learning so much at once that they focus energy on one thing at a time. My DS was quicker to crawl, stand, walk, etc than my DD. I think he was just too busy to talk....I think between 20 and 24 months his language exploded and now he won't shut up. But you know your baby so don't hesitate to talk to someone about it...hopefully it's nothing to worry about!

We just went through the same thoughts. YDS is 17 months and pretty much only said various intonations of MAMA (maMA, mama, MAAAAAAHHHHH) until a month ago. In talking to other parents of 2+ children it sounded really normal. One friend's ped suggested the second time around, you're so used to talking at the more adult level with your older child, you don't stop and say simple words/phrases.

So we made a concerted effort to talk more at his level - not baby talk, but just repeating very simple nouns and phrases to him. Anytime he said anything that resembled a word, we repeated it and showed him the noun/verb he was referring to. We incorporated that with a little bit of signing, using one-word picture books and after a month or so, his language exploded.
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

My DD was a big/early talker, but I remember being shocked at all her Ped check ups on the questionnaires. It would always ask if she had like 2 or 5 words when she had tons. So I think the spectrum is just huge. Although I know it's impossible to not worry!
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

It was hard for me as well because DD was speaking in 3 word sentences by 18 months.

At DS's 18 month appointment I had to say that he had zero words. He was saying mama, but it was more babble, not to mean me. The pediatrician was like 'really, no words?' He didn't want us to wait until 24 months to seek speech therapy, so he told us that if at 21 months if he still didn't have any words then we needed to call. He started having words around 20 months and I sware, every week until his 2 year appointment we wondered if he had enough words and should we call. By 24 months he had 50 words. And now (well he is almost 5 but we've been saying this for abot 2 1/2 years) we can't believe that we never thought he may have a speech delay because he never shuts up, ever!
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

It's so hard not to compare your child to their siblings, other children, etc., but really, they develop at their own pace. And I know it's a generalization, but, boys tend to speak later than girls.

DS1 (my first child), was a very late talker and I did worry all the time about it. He did say mama and dada, but that was it. The first real word was at 18 months and then nothing after that. I talked to his doctor about it but he wasn't concerned at all. He said as long as DS understood what I was saying, which he did, then, there wasn't a need to worry. I was told to wait until he started preschool (3 yrs) and reevaluate then. Well, I listened and once DS started school, he did have a language explosion. BUT, his words were very unclear- I was the only one who understood him. I ended up taking him for an evaluation and sure enough, he had severe speech delays. I was very mad at myself for not trusting my own gut and acting sooner. He had nearly 3 yrs of speech therapy following that.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is, all kids develop at their own pace and boys do tend to speak later than girls. And, to me, 14 months is still very young, so I think it's too early to be worried. Having said that, I would be aware of it and just stay on top of it.

And, I know it's so hard not to compare. When DD came along, she was a super early talker. By 9 months she had a ton of words and by 18 months, she was talking in sentences. The difference between the two kids was amazing.

When DS2 came along, I was very concerned that he'd follow in his brother's steps. During those years we spent in speech therapy, it was very common to see siblings with the same issue (and mostly it was brothers). I had convinced myself that he would need therapy. He is 22 months now and didn't really start having words until 18 months. So, earlier than his older brother, but still way later than his sister. It is remarkable to me that they each developed so differently.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

One more thing I wanted to add. At DS2's 18 month WBV, our Ped (a new doc by the way), said that just because a word doesn't sound like a real word to us, it very well could be a word for him.

For example, if your child consistently makes the same sound for water (and it doesn't even have to sound remotely like water,) then, it is a word for them, and "counts" towards their vocabulary and language development.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12