Quantcast

Default Transitioning to Table Food

DS just turned one and I have no clue what he should be eating.

I feel like with DD, our pediatrician gave us more info about what to start when. But we had his 1 year WBV today and she asked us if he was eating regular food yet but then we had to ask her if we could add eggs yet?

So we're going to start transitioning to Whole Milk and I need to make sure he gets enough to eat. Can anyone post what your kids eat on a regular day?
    Jenn...and Bill (5/25/03)
    ...and Natalie (10/10/07)
    ...and Oliver (11/12/12)

I found this website helpful when DD was doing solids:
    http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.c...m#.UoWkrzi9LCQ
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

That is helpful but it also kind of stops at 12 months which is one of the reasons I'm having this problem. The last pediatrician advice was cereal and fruit in the morning, green vegetable, yogurt and fruit in the afternoon and cereal and orange vegetable for dinner. And we pretty much stuck to that. We only did the pastina a couple times, and we haven't done meat or eggs yet because he only has one little tooth just starting to poke out.

So I guess I was also hoping for some more real world suggestions? Trader Joe's Meatballs or something?
    Jenn...and Bill (5/25/03)
    ...and Natalie (10/10/07)
    ...and Oliver (11/12/12)

By a year both my girls were eating 100% what we had. I may have modified it slightly (less sauce or spice, cooked veggies a little more and made sure meat was well cooked). In Canada they now suggest eggs from 6 months on (yolk and white) - unless you have a family history of known allergies. Just make sure everything is cut into the size of chunk your child can handle (ie: my kids at 15 months I could give them an whole chicken nugget and they would take bites, my nephew at 2 needs his cut or he will put the entire piece in)
    Tara and Terry: May 13, 2006
    Elizabeth Vittoria: December 21, 2007

a small drinking island with a fishing problem

By one, DS had already been eating everything we were eating. I would just cut it really small so he could pick it up, play with it, taste it, etc. I realized he was ready for table food when he was seven months old and DD was having a picnic lunch on the living room floor. I got up for a minute or two, to go to the bathroom and by the time I got back DS had crawled over and ate half of DDs grilled cheese sandwich. I think transitioning to table food is all what is within the comfort level of the parents. We were pretty liberal with DD, so by the time DS came around, I was fairly confident and feeding him table food sooner and he was showing all the signs that he was ready. My advice would be to let him sample table food little by little until he transitions completely off baby food.
    Chloe 8/2010 Oliver 7/2012
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.
    We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.

Same as the others, by that age I just offered pieces and parts of what we were eating. They don't need teeth to eat. Those gums are strong!

ETA: Maybe this is more helpful...
    Breakfast - protein (yogurt, eggs or peanut butter on WW toast) and fruit. At that age, milk
    Lunch - protein, grain, fruit & veggie. At that age milk, now water
    Dinner - various combos but always 1 and sometimes 2 veggies

There actually used to be a thread with detailed lists of what kids were eating. I'll see if I can find it for you.

ETA again to add thread link. This was a daily list of what people were feeding their little ones that should give you specific ideas.
    http://www.constantchatter.com/forum...-Eating-Part-2
    Last edited by boilermaker; 11-15-2013 at 10:35 PM.

My girls never would eat baby food, so they always had little bits of what we were eating. For lunch I would feed them small chunks of fruit or cooked veggies, pasta, bread, chicken, cheese, yogurt, grilled cheese, pizza, etc. They were great at finger feeding. (DS will not eat baby food either, but he also will not eat table food. I can't get him to put any food in his mouth, actually. I'm kind of curious to see what our doctor says about that at his 9-month WBV. I am starting to worry a bit that he has some sensory issue, because he literally will not even open his mouth to let food in, and when I sneak something in there, he acts like he is being poisoned.)