Quantcast
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

I know the xbox is definitely the go-to game console among my 8 yr old daughters friends. I don't know any of them that have ps4's. So, anecdotal evidence but I know several of the parents are pretty strict on age range and only let the kids play E or some pre-vetted T rated.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement. -From a bumper sticker I saw once

I need some help. I am very anti-E-readers for myself - I cannot even fathom reading a book on a screen - but I am realizing that there are benefits for DS1. I have no idea which one to look at though.

Reasons I want one for him: For one, I can't keep up with getting to the library or bookstore to get him books that qualify for his reading comprehension program at school (they do Scholastic "Reading Counts" at our school.) I also realize this is the wave of the future.

Concerns I have: I do not want a device that does ANYTHING other than work as an e-reader. No games, nothing. He simply cannot handle the potential distraction. I also worry about him losing it. So that factors in when it comes to how much I want to spend. Or/and maybe I should consider one of those tracker sticker things to help you find your stuff?

What do you all recommend?

I love my kindle. I never thought I could read on a screen, but to me, the kindle is pretty close to paper. The basic kindle is $79, although they have a kid's bundle that includes a case and 2 year warranty for about $99. I definitely suggest getting a case. It is only an e-reader. I check books out from our local library all the time and it's really easy. We got one for DD too, and she also has a kindle fire. She rarely uses the Fire, but does use her kindle for reading (although she prefers actual books).

How does it even work? When we are connected to our home wi-fi we can add more books? Then those books are on the Kindle and he doesn't need any Wi-Fi or connectivity and can read from anywhere? He would be taking it to school.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    How does it even work? When we are connected to our home wi-fi we can add more books? Then those books are on the Kindle and he doesn't need any Wi-Fi or connectivity and can read from anywhere? He would be taking it to school.
    Yes, just like that. You download books via wifi but you don't need to have wifi to read. I have the kindle paper white. I love it. It has a very primitive browser but it is really only meant for reading books.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes! I love being able to download books! I'm looking to get my mom a kindle for Christmas so she can borrow library books on it so I'll follow along. With a basic kindle I can still download books from the library, right? I don't have a Prime membership - will that still work with a basic kindle?

Yes mcg.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

You go to your library website and choose the e-book you want. Choose kindle version. It should automatically take you to the Amazon website where you will click "get library book" and it will automatically start to download. The next time your kindle is on wifi the book will appear like magic on the kindle.

If they like graphic novels I would consider one of the $50 kindle fires because the pictures do not work very well on a regular kindle e-reader. My DD loves the Minecraft comics and graphic novels and we get a ton of them through the Kindle Unlimited for free. You can set it up to only do books and just don't give access to the app store. I find the Kindle Unlimited ($9.99 a month) to be worth it with free books for DD and for me. I believe you can have 10 out at a time, but DD just "returns" hers as soon as she reads them so they don't usually stack up.

Kindle Fire 7" 8g
    Last edited by TracyDP; 09-24-2016 at 12:49 PM.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement. -From a bumper sticker I saw once

My library system uses Overdrive, so I just log in there to find books and download them. I also have a LONG waitlist of the more current popular books just waiting to be available. When one is ready for me I get an email. I download the books thru Amazon to my kindle, or my DDs (you can specify although we only have one library account). I don't have prime. I tend to load a few books onto my kindle and then turn it to Airplane mode so that they'll all stay there until I'm done. If you are connected to wi-fi it will delete books from your kindle once your checkout time expires unless you do the airplane mode trick. I have a paperwhite kindle and LOVE it, my DD has a fire which is okay, but she can play games on there too.
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11