Quantcast
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Default ipad, ipad Mini, or Kindle Fire

Hi Ladies

This non-techy girl needs some input please:

I'm wanting to treat myself to a tablet (that's what they are called, right?) for Christmas. I'm not sure I want to spend the $$ on an ipad, and am thinking that perhaps a Kindle would serve my needs.

Basically, I want something to search the net, check FB, read/write emails, and read ebooks. I also want the ability to watch videos and play games (for the kids to keep them quiet when needed.)

My mom has an ipad and I do like the camera capability with that, but it's not a must. I'm not even sure if the Kindle has a camera feature??

Also, other than having wifi, do I need any other "service" in order to use/operate the ipad or Kindle? Again, I realize I am probably the only person left on this planet who is not up-to-date on all this techy stuff

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

All you need is wifi to operate a tablet, though some have cellular capability that , if you choose to use it, require a data plan.

We have an ipad, a kindle fire and a chrome book. My favorite is definitely the ipad since I can sync it with my iphone and Mac. The App Store also has better app selection than those offered by amazon or google. DS loves making videos using the camera and photo booth.

The kindle fire is nice though. If you have prime, you get to borrow books, which is a great feature. I have the 1st gen Fire, so I wasn't to thrilled with the touch screen, especially on the web browser. That might be improved though.
    Last edited by yby1; 11-13-2013 at 12:16 AM.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

I had 2 pre-fire kindles but no fire; personally I would not get a kindle fire, but I'm biased. We have 76 iPads. Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration but we are an apple home. All our phones, computers and tablets are apple so it wouldn't make sense to do anything else at this point. The price point is higher but personally I think it's worth it. I know not everyone feels the same way, however. It sounds like you would be fine with an iPad mini, which would be a slightly lower price point.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Unless you are already an iTunes person with a lot invested in apps, I might suggest the Kindle Fire HD. Honestly, I use mine more than my iPad (and I have an iPhone). I LOVE that it is not in any way tied to my computer (aside from loading movies I've ripped from DVD's) and that my music, books, everything are through Amazon. Yes, their app selection is not as big as Apple, but it is definitely sufficient and has more than enough to keep you and kids entertained. If you want to watch videos/movies then the Kindle Fire HD is definitely a better choice. It has GREAT sound compared to iPad, and it has HD picture, is lighter and easier to hold (than regular size iPad). When we had a 12 hour drive with 2 kids they actually both wanted the Kindle to watch movies on, not the iPad. My Mom has both a Kindle Fire HD and an iPad and she said she rarely uses her iPad anymore, almost always her kindle. I also like the Kindle Kids Free Time, it gives you access to a lot of content (videos, apps, books) for $3 a month rather than having to pay $1-5 each for apps without it. That's my 2 cents anyway.

I've also made my money back probably twice over with Amazon prime and the free 2 day shipping, and I watch Amazon Prime Instant video a lot more than Netflix because they have more Discovery/nature/science shows for free (DD loves her some Mythbusters).
    Last edited by TracyDP; 11-13-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement. -From a bumper sticker I saw once

My mom won a tablet in a giveaway (a Samsung galaxy) and offered it to us for MDD for Christmas. While it's a generous offer, and would save us $$$, we're going to decline. We already have an iPad and were going to get the girls iPads for Christmas. ODD uses it for school and MDD will use it in school next year. They are both familiar with our iPad - heck, MDD has helped my mom and MIL trouble shoot!!

As Tracy mentioned, we have already invested quite a bit into apps and other products for apple. So, we're going to stick with the iPad.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

stevie - what kind of phone do you have? To go along with Tracy's comment, if you have an iPhone, you might as well just get the iPad. If you have an Android phone, you might consider an Android tablet.
    The App Store also has better app selection than those offered by amazon or google.
    No offense to yby, but I think this is a myth. Especially on the Google Marketplace. It may have been true years ago when the iPhone first came out and the Android options were slim but now the Play Store has just about everything. Well, except for some last holdouts, like Disney, which only release things on the AppStore.
    Cake or Death?

Are you set on an IPad or Kindle Fire VS other tablet? I am also looking for a tablet for Christmas, but not wanting to spend as much as an iPad. I asked our tech guy at work about tablets since he had a nice one with him that day. He told me to keep in mind that for apps and books and things for a kindle you have to get them through Amazon -I didn't really want to be limited. I am instead going for a Nexus 7" tablet (they also have a 10"-he commented that can get a little heavy if you're holding it up to read for a long time). I will be able to surf the net and can use google play, amazon or whatever I want for apps. I don't have any other apple products, but can see the benefit of the iPad if you do!

Thank you all for the great input

We are not an apple family. I have an android phone (as does DH), so, sticking with the apple brand isn't important to us. I just have heard so many great things about the ipad but, if I can get something for less $$ that does everything I need it to do, then, I'd rather save the money.

We also are Amazon Prime members so I like the benefit of that with the Kindle. The Kindle Kids Free Time sounds great

Sounds like I need to expand my search to other tablets just to be sure. Peachy, is there a specific Android tablet you recommend? mcg, I'll check out the Nexus- thanks!
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

I don't get the link with kindle fire and prime? Is there some benefit there? I have prime also and there is an amazon app for iPad where I can watch shows. Do you get a discount on prime?

I think the apple vs google thing is just a personal preference. We know a bunch of guys who work on android apps but have iPhones and vice versa. Hardly anyone I know thinks both are great, but one of my friends loves the google App Store and to me it's kind of cumbersome. Eh.

ETA: we also have an AppleTV so that is another place to consider overlap if you have or are planning to get some kind of TV box. (We don't have cable.)
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

We are an Apple family, so I would recommend the iPad - I have a Kindle (not the fire) and I haven't touched it in years because I can do everything on my iPad.

I've also made my money back probably twice over with Amazon prime and the free 2 day shipping, and I watch Amazon Prime Instant video a lot more than Netflix because they have more Discovery/nature/science shows for free (DD loves her some Mythbusters).
    I have the Amazon app on my iPad and use my prime membership to watch Amazon Prime Instant video all the time - I've never used Netflix. I don't understand the link with the fire as I have all the same functionality on my iPad. The only benefit I have found with owning a kindle is access to their free library of books (which I've never used) - you need a Kindle to 'borrow' a book.
    A&K 05.18.02
    Baby Girl 09.06.05... Angel Baby Oct 2007... Baby Girl 10.21.08
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle