Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Something fun to do in Northern CA (Sunnyvale/Palo Alto/ Cuppertino area)

Hi Ladies

We will be visiting my SIL and her family for Thanksgiving this year. I'm trying to organize something to do for the kids the day after Thanksgiving. I'd like to stay far away from shopping malls if possible (to avoid the Black Friday shopping madness.)

So far I've only heard about Great America. Are there any other recommendations for something fun for kids? FTR, my kids are 7, 5 and 1.

Thanks so much
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

There is the Children's Discovery Museum in San Jose, but your 7-year-old might be too old for it. It depends what he/she likes. In San Jose, there is also the Tech Museum, Happy Hollow Park and Zoo.

Personally, I would avoid going to SF the day after Thanksgiving, but there is a lot to do there.

This might be a helpful site for you: http://bayareaparent.parenthood.com/index.php

I was going to say Happy Hollow, but I don't know if that's too young for your 7 year old. There is delicious child-free dining at Bumble in Los Altos. There is also a small child friendly arcade next door to the restaurant.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

My 7 yo would love to go back to Happy Hollow. Tech Museum is on my list for my 7 and 5 yos. Isn't there an aviation museum or is that further north? Hiller. It's in San Carlos. Probably too far north.

Great America will be closed after Halloween. You could look into Gilroy Gardens. It has a lot of small rides, but also enough bigger rides for the 7 year old. It's also a gorgeous amusement park with beautiful landscaping. It's about a 40 minute drive. If you want to get really ambitious, you can try the aquarium in Monterey. It would take you about an hour and a half drive and it might be crowded, but if you haven't been there before, it's fantastic and would definitely keep the kids entertained!
    "It's a great day for hockey!" - Badger Bob Johnson (1931 - 1991)

Kaitlyn builds a space shuttle!

Probably also too far for these purposes but Gilroy Gardens is on my list to visit. Any locals feedback?

ETA: haha, cross-post!

Laura, Gilroy Gardens isn't open the day after Thanksgiving. It's open that weekend, though. https://www.gilroygardens.org/hours-directions

Oh I just meant feedback in general, I haven't ever been. But thanks!

Oh ok. I think it's good for kids up until age 6 or so, but it depends on the kid. It has a good mix of "thrill" (eg. rides like Disney's tea cups) and mellow rides. The grounds are lovely and it's clean. It's not that big; I don't think we've ever stayed for the whole day.

Thanks for posting the hours, I didn't realize they were already doing weekends only!